OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need help on choosing a new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 17:23
Originally posted by justingeen99 justingeen99 wrote:

Koshkin thats not the point. Its the fact that Steve made the statement in the first place. The only reason he used "top law enforcement agencies" are using his product was to gain validity in his product. Sorry I don't stomach BS very well. I guess its a casualty of my profession. However, If Steve is willing to say which departments are using his scope, I'll retract my statements and even try to check out one of his scopes.

How did this turn into a tiff in the first place? I just wanted to get some good advice on which scope to buy. Lets all kiss and make up . Hopefully we can move on and get back to talking about optics.

I am not planning to be kissing anyone from this forum, I can tell you that (there is a "Post your Picture" thread on "Anything Goes" forum).

Anyhow, to get back into the scope discussion: a store is an aweful place to evaluate scopes, since the lighting does not really present a challenge for the scope.  You want to compare scopes in low light, for the most part.  As for Sightron, I feel Sightron S2 scopes with 1" tubes offer a much better deal than S3 scopes.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 17:23

I feel that the 4200 is the best scope choice in your price range. I also agree that Bushnell  should make a

Mil-dot 4200 in 4-16, a 4-16 30MM tube 4200 with a Mil-dot now that would be nice.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 17:27
In the context used, yes. It rings of field use and acceptance. Being retired from the field, it's a bold statement.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 17:40
Originally posted by KB0WZL KB0WZL wrote:

We are selling scope to top law enforcement agencies, we are getting glowing reports from the users of our TRS-1. 

Steve, lets cut to the chase.

What LE/Military people are giving you "glowing reports" and would you post them on The OT, to include the individuals name, rank, unit/dept etc.?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

I feel that the 4200 is the best choice in your price range. I also agree that Bushnell  should make a

Mil-dot 4200 in 4-16, a 4-16 30MM tube 4200 with a Mil-dot now that would be nice.

That would be a nice scope indeed. 

As for Elite 4200 being the best choice in his price range, I disagree.  I am afraid it has barely enough W/E adjustment to get out to 1000yards with a 308, no MilDot reticle in 4-16x40 and 1/8' adjustments.  The 6-24x40AO which does have a MilDot reticle, does not have enough elevation range to get out to 1000yards with a 308Win (and still has 1/8" adjustments).

Similarly, Burris is low on W/E range.  Not enough to get out to 1000yards with both 4-16x and 6-24x Signature Select models. 

Of the 1" tubed scopes, Sightron S2 typically has the most W/E adjustment.  To get a larger adjustment range you pretty much have to go to 30mm scopes, which are typically out of his price range.

Interestingly enough, Mueller Tac II has very large adjustment range for a 1" scope.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 17:56

Alot of people have asked for a similar scope lately, alot of features and very good glass.

These scopes are not in this budget price range, I agree with Koshkin that maybee you

are going to have to go with the SII and sacrifice a little on the glass quality. Koshkin I forgot

about his 1000yd shot elevation request, got distracted with some bullsh*t(Steve).

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 19:31

National Stock Number Please?

What about the offer to do some testing at Knob creek?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

justingeen99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justingeen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 23:53
Guys, this is good stuff. It looks like the Sightron is the best for my application. I really do appreciate the input. The one scope I was wondering about is the Weaver. I have found some of the 6x26s with the mil dot on the net for about $300. The reticle is in the fist plane, which is a nice feature. However, I was wondering if the reticle will become too thick at long distances. Also someone said the Weavers were not a very good scope, but traditionally I thought they were good.

This really is a great page when people are giving there knowledge about scopes, it is very educational. To top it off, it is nice when you go check out scopes in question and they match up to the reviews of these forums.

If you are still there Steve, I would be interested in why your scope competes with the other scopes in my price range. I can not find independent reviews other than the links Koshkin left. In my opinion they didn't give your scope a rave review, but were trying to give the scope the benefit of the doubt. Koshkin said he compared the tactical scope to the Burris Fullfield II, which I don't care for. For the money that the Burris' are I don't think they are worth it. I've compared my Tac II to the Fullfields in the field and I gota say for the price, the Tac II is by far a better value. Of course this is imo.

Steve when I first started looking for a new tactical scope in my price range, I got really excited when I stumbled onto your product. But when I read the reviews my hopes were diminished. Just like the Leatherwood tactical scopes (not to compare the two), both seem to have great ideas behind them, but the quality in the lenses suffer. Unfortunately, sitting behind a scope with poor lenses is a pain. Maybe if you are just pulling up and shooting, the glass isn’t that important. When you’re precision shooting during a full day, your eyes start to go cross eyed and you get the eye strain. What a pain.    

Sorry about the novels.
Stay in the fight
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 00:30
What Weaver scope are you talking about?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justingeen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 00:40
Weaver V24 6-24x42 Matte w/Mil Dot
Stay in the fight
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 00:55
Originally posted by justingeen99 justingeen99 wrote:

Weaver V24 6-24x42 Matte w/Mil Dot

I was always pretty confident that V24 had a second focal plane reticle.  Weaver had a Tactical line a little while ago that had FFP reticles, but all other scopes they make are SFP, to the best of my knowledge.  I could be wrong though.  Where did you find mention of it being FFP?

Anyhow, my experince with Weaver V-series scopes have been quite good with lower magnification V3 and V7 and pretty aweful with higher magnification scopes.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justingeen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 01:09
Koskin, I was under the impression that it was FFP due to the stats I read about the Tactical line. Then I read this review from a user www.telescopes.com/reviews/products.php?id=17941 - 24k. To summerize what he said was the retical was way to big to shoot small targets at long distaces. I figured that this was due to FFP. Its probably SFP. I will stay away from the weaver due to what you said.
Stay in the fight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 04:02

Welcome to The OT, justingeen99!!

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

We feel that the OT is the best forum on the net.

Glad to have you, Sir. 

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 15:31

juntingreen99

My best advice to you would be to spend the little extra and get what you really want.

The SII should be your minimum quality standard and then work your way up and

bargain shop. Sorry a  little late but welcome to the OT , like Cheap said this is the

best forum on the net.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justingeen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:18
Thanks guys, I'm glad to be here. Lets see if Steve will reply, if he doesn't it must mean Milletts are crap.

SVD666, I think your right about saving up. After all the reading I have done in the past coupple of days it is getting more obvious that to get what I want, I'm going to have to spend much more than I want.   
Stay in the fight
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:21
It will be well worth it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 03:35

chirp.....chirp....The sound of silence.....

Man, this once heated thread sure cooled off...........

KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 12:59

Hello all

"Thanks guys, I'm glad to be here. Lets see if Steve will reply, if he doesn't it must mean Milletts are crap. "

How un professional .   I will always try to give explaination in a techincal level but this is just BS.   If you would like to ask a techincal question about a Millett product or the way we do business please do.  other wise I do not have time for this.  

Good shooting

Steve

Millett sights.

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 13:16
Originally posted by KB0WZL KB0WZL wrote:

Hello all

"Thanks guys, I'm glad to be here. Lets see if Steve will reply, if he doesn't it must mean Milletts are crap. "

How un professional .   I will always try to give explaination in a techincal level but this is just BS.   If you would like to ask a techincal question about a Millett product or the way we do business please do.  other wise I do not have time for this.  

Good shooting

Steve

Millett sights.

Steve.....Can you or can you not provide the "glowing reviews" from LE professionals you referred to earlier?

I'm asking a legitimate question here.

We would like to see them. (At least I would.)

I seriously can't think of a better way for Millet to improve it's image AND prove all the nay sayers wrong, than have "working" optics professional review your scope, and then do a write up on it for all to see. 

And if they are favorable, YOU want us to see them. Right?  

As you stated, koshkin and C did excellent jobs of reviewing your product.

We all appreciate their time and effort and your hospitality, Steve.

We would just like to see reviews from the folks YOU mentioned.

After all, the Tactical community is what you are marketing. No?

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 13:23

Cheaptrick, I am sure somewhere that there is a Barney Fife type who received a free scope that will rave about Millett quality.  Of course he will need someone to donate a rifle and bullett so that he can test his new scope.

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic