OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

antique U.S. Navy scope for?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bearonahog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: antique U.S. Navy scope for?
    Posted: October/31/2006 at 10:40

My father has a old scope that is marked U.S. Navy. It says mark xll U.S.N. On the viewing end . On the other brass part it says F.J.C. with a anchor under it,Patent dates are Mar17,1903 sept1,1903nov11904 and nov14,1905. looks to be all brass. It telescopes but im thinking its a scope of sometype? Its a cool old girl just wish i knew what it is. Anyone have any ideas  or how to trace it?   Please let me know . Pops is getting very old and id like to let him know what the heck it is before he passes.

Regards.

Bear.

bearonahog@yahoo.com
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 16:58

From the lack of responses I am guessing that everyone here is drawing a blank. Perhaps you could post a picture or two and that might help jog a memory or two.  Otherwise, I would suggest two possible avenues for you to try:

1. Try posting your question on a few birding sites. www.birdforum.net is a good place to start.  Scroll down to their binoculars and spotting scopes forums. As a general rule, these guys tend to be way more into all kinds of scopes than the rest of us.  On this site we seem to be mostly hunters and riflemen and the like. Since birders aren't buying expensive guns, they spend a whole lot more time obsessing over their optics. (I know, that doesn't seem possible to be even more obsessed with optics than we are but, it's true.)

2. Try contacting the US Navy directly.  This can be done by walking into any recruiting station. Take the scope with you and I'd be surprised if they didn't show a ton of interest in helping you discover what it is. Even if they can't directly help you they should be able to help you get in touch with an appropriate naval historian.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bearonahog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bearonahog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 21:07

Thankyou so much lucznik. here is a pic and maybe someone will see it . If not ill try the other methods mentioned. I cant thankyou enough for your help Sir .          Regards.

Bear.

bearonahog@yahoo.com
tomsav View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomsav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 14:26
Hi Bear,

Did you ever get any answers regarding your post? I have a very similar brass scope to yours - it's the Mark XI not the XII but from your photo it's obviously closely related.

The patent dates are all the same, plus mine also has the extra date May 7 1907. It says Mark XI. U.S.N. with Mod I (or Mod 1?) under it near the eyepiece. It says FJC 2614 with the anchor sign you describe lower down.

I'm also after info on mine, so any leads you have would be appreciated. Unfortunately I'm in London England, so can't pop into my local USN recruitment office to ask questions.

Any help would be appreciated - I'll post a pic of mine if I get chance later.

cheers,
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic