OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt Bender Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt Bender Question
    Posted: October/30/2006 at 11:50
I am a new member here and I want to say that this forum has led me to some really good products, and for that I am appreciative. I am looking for a hunting scope for my son for Christmas. It has come down to a Schmidt Bender fixed power 8x with a 56mm objective or the Swarovski 3x12x50 American model. It will be for a Remington 700, 270 wsm. It is for deer hunting out to 300 yards(tops). It seems like the majority of our shots are taken at late dusk, around 100-150 yards. I like the idea and price of the fixed power. My question is, does anyone think that this is too big or impractical? I would like to confine the answer to these two scopes, since a lot of factors are involved to get me this far and I don't want to rehash and drive myself crazy. Thanks for your help.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2006 at 12:24

If you want a fixed power get a 4X.  What are you going to do with an 8X scope if you have a close shot?  Get the variable.

ranburr

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2006 at 12:31

The Schmidt fixed 8 is a great scope for extremly low light and will give you a great picture

alot better than the Swarovski AH and you will be able to see your reticle better at night. I

use mine on private land where there are no rules, so for legal shooting hours you do not

need this kind of performance. It is a big scope and if weight is a issue it is not the way to

go it is 22oz. Having a Variable is very nice I have the S&B 2.5-10x56 also 22oz and I love

that scope for all around hunting. Having a variable is nice in my opinion. I bought my fixed 8

just to spend time with S&B glass. I am now a big fan of S&B and and will not go with any

other brand for my personel use. I hope this helps.

SwattedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2006 at 15:32
Thanks for the replies. The way the food plots are set up, I can't ever remember a short shot, although it could happen. Most everyone leaves their scopes set at 8 power anyway so I thought this may work. All hunting is done from fixed stands so weight is not an issue. Forgot to mention that we are able to hunt hogs at night and plan to do so. Also, the S@B variable is about $300.00 more and I am at the limit here. So I guess I am asking, "Under these circumstances, would I be dissapointed with the S@B?"
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2006 at 15:36

It is a very fine scope. It is made for the type of hunting you described and will save you money

under these circumstances.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2006 at 18:07

Is your son going to spend the rest of his life hunting under these conditions?  Personally, I wouldn't want a fixed 8X scope.

ranburr

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2006 at 23:28

Hi

I thinks the 8x56 is an excellent choise.

Go for the German no1 reticle and you would have no problems at all.

Regards Technika

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2006 at 07:56

ranburr makes a lot of sense.  6X is by far the most practical fixed power scope.  If you think 6X is not enough, get the variable.

SVD666, what kind of private land has no rules?  I hunt on my own property but all game laws still apply.

SwattedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2006 at 08:38
Ranburr made a good point there. But I failed to mention(once again) that my son also has a 7mm-08 model seven with a Leupold VXIII should he have a short set up. I think I have pretty much decided on the SB. However, I now have to consider the 6x or 8x point. Personally, I have went back and forth with my scope and I prefer the 8x for the ranges involved. But that's why I'm here, to get opinions from more experienced folks. Actually I was ruined the moment I saw the picture that SVD 666 posted of his S@B 8x56. Anyway,don't feel like you have to beat this to death, you've already helped a bunch. By the way, farmers here are allowed to get a permit that allows them to kill deer at anytime of the day or night, so that may be what SVD 666 was referring to.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2006 at 11:16
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

SVD666, what kind of private land has no rules?  I hunt on my own property but all game laws still apply.

Hello Myates

I recieved a PM from a well respected member of the OT with the same question.

The gentleman who owns the land where we hunt had said it was ok but I wanted

to make shure after recieving the PM and called him this morning,he said yes he

has a permit and it is legal on his land. Thanks for looking out mwyates.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2006 at 11:19

SwattedOut.......... you aren't looking to adopt are you........... I'm pretty smart.... don't get into trouble much...... and won't care which S&B you get me ........ heck.... I'll even pay for the rifle! 

take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic