OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Grand Slam Quality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Grand Slam Quality
    Posted: October/29/2006 at 08:33

Koshkin...... in Sept. you stated on a post:

"I think Grand Slam quality has been getting a little worse lately, but I need to track it a little longer to be able to tell.  I heard a rumor somewhere that the production of Grand Slam scopes has been moved to China which I am trying confirm or disprove"

Have you found out anything more?

take em!
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 10:48

I have tried to surf around the net but I was not able to to confirm of deny if they moved production to China.  If so, that would be so disheartning. The Weaver Grand Slam while not the most pretty scope on the market is a very good buy. The glass is great and atleast the ones I've handled are very well built.

Weaver (Meade) would be making a H U G E mistake letting this line fall off.  If anything, they should have just went back to the drawing board and came up with a more "natural" looking scope which would appeal to the masses and dont change a darn thing with the lens quality.  Personally, I dont mind the look of the Weaver,  infact I think the badmiton bird looking adjustment ring is great (funtion over beauty) especially when hunting in cold weather with gloves. 

Hopefully, the powers that be will not move production of if they have they will see the errors in their ways and move stuff back to Japan and continue to make a great product.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 11:43
I do not have any new information on Grand Slam scopes and where they are made.  The only observation I have about last few Grand Slams that I've seen was that they were very bright, but not as clear as before.  Some types of glass produce an image that looks, for lack of a better word, more white than clear.  Light transmission is still good, but clarity is not up to snuff.  There is also more flare with that glass.  This kind of glass has been used both in Lower end Japanes and top end Chinese scopes, so we'l have to wait and see.

I am curious what Meade is going to do.  To the bes of my knowledge they make most of their stuff in China, so we'll see if Grand Slam productionalso moves there.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 15:12

Tip 69 check out this post where I give my opinion of the Grand Slam and any other of Meads products.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4755&PN=2& amp; amp;TPN=1

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 18:30
I think Meade is partnered with Yugo!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2006 at 06:52
Thanks for the update guys!
take em!
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2007 at 18:32
The Weaver Grand Slams and Classics are made in Japan and the GS is one of the best values out there.  Go try one out in a store.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic