OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

As good as Leupold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: As good as Leupold?
    Posted: July/30/2004 at 18:05
After years of useing cheap scopes that either worked or didn't,I've about decided to try a higher dollar scope and see what the fuss is about.I've always been told that Leupold was a great scope.Since I found this site,I've been reading that other scopes such as the 4500 is just as good.One of the things that look good about the Leupold is the "no question asked lifetime warranty".This would help soften the blow of spending the extra money.Is there any other manu. that have the same quality and warranty?
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2004 at 18:32

well, i would suggest the 4200 to you. you get one year to try it out, and if you dont like it, they'll give you your money back, and it a free $100 gear bag.

cory

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2004 at 18:34

supposed to say... and it comes with a free $100 gear bag. sorry, the accuracy on the keyboard aint as good as on paper.

cory

crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2004 at 18:50

I must also apoligize.I ment to type 4200 instead of 4500.

Is there no warranty after the first year?

dove_hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dove_hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2004 at 19:02
I just put the Burris 4.5-14X42. It is a excellent scope for free, put a group of 5 shots in a bull's eye the size of a nickel at a 100 yards. Plus got a nice spotting scope for free. It also has a lifetime warranty. I put it on a Remington 700 LV, 223 cal. The cost was a little over 300 including shipping.Big smile
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2004 at 19:32

first of all, im not sure whether or not dove hunter was answering your question about the lifetime warranty, or making a satatement about the FF2, but the 4200 does have a lifetime warranty, and i think its sumthing special over the regular bushnells, but im not positive, chris can best answer that question.

and second, dovehunter, is that the remington LVSF, if so, how do you liek it. i have one coming, and it should be here next week. im going to put the zeiss conquest on it though.

cory

dove_hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dove_hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2004 at 19:57

I'm sorry my Remington 700 VS not LV and I like it a lot. The Burris Fullfield 11 is what I put on the 700 and it also has a lifetime warranty. I got it with the ballistic plex. You also get a free spotting scope with it

I was trying to answer both questions. Hope that helps you.

Edited by dove_hunter
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2004 at 13:09

crispycritter,

Just about all non electronic scopes have a lifetime warranty.  Leupold is by far the easiest company to deal with should problems arise.  Bushnell does "one up" them with the special Elite warranty noted by Cory.  You can use your scope and if you don't like they will give you your money back and no other company in the world does that.

crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2004 at 05:25

Which manu. allow the lifetime warranty to pass on to the next owner?By any chance is there a list that has what warranty each line of scopes has ?

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2004 at 16:14
Never seen a list.  We are in the process of adding warranty info to all of our products listed on line.
VanMojo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 09:30

I can tell you that the Leupold Lifetime warranty is the lifetime of the scope... not of the owner.  There is no warranty registration or any sort.  I've heard (but can't personally testify, I don't work in the warranty department) that Leupold's policy is to fix any defect or damage so long as the scope was not intentionally damaged. 

There's a glass case on the wall near the area I work with a bunch of scopes in it that were returned and replaced under warranty.  There is a scope on display that was hit by lightning, one left in a river for over 2 years, one shot clear through by another rifle, one broken almost in half from a fall down a hill, and more that I just can't remember right now.

Leupold may not offer your money back up to one year after time of purchase, but it has the next best thing.  Due to the above-mentioned warranty, used Leupold scopes sell for a much higher price, percentage-wise, compared to other brands of scopes.

Please note that this isn't an official statement, I just work there and I'm telling you what I've seen.

VanMojo

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 15:24

Very interesting.  I think I remember an ad mentioning the rifle and  scope that was in the river for two years....seems like I remember it being part of a beaver's damn........and the scope still worked too.

What does the one look like that was struck by lightning?

Glad to have you hear VanMojo.  Can you help out with this thread? http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=464&PN=2

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 20:53
One of the best buys in the scope market is to buy a used Leo and send it in for reconditioning, even if Leo charges for it. Which in my case of sending in 3, not only didn't charge, they didn't even care after I offered to pay
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2004 at 20:59

only with a leupold. thats a great reason for paying the extra for the leupold name.

cory

VanMojo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2004 at 05:18
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

Very interesting.  I think I remember an ad mentioning the rifle and  scope that was in the river for two years....seems like I remember it being part of a beaver's damn........and the scope still worked too.

What does the one look like that was struck by lightning?

Glad to have you hear VanMojo.  Can you help out with this thread? http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=464&PN=2

The scope they have in the case doesn't say anything about a beaver's dam, so it may be a different scope than what you are thinking of.  The scope that got hit by lightning isn't all that impressive.  There is one that was in a house fire, and part of it actually fused to another metal object (possibly part of the rifle it was on) and they sent that in too since it was efffectively welded on.

I went to the thread you refer to and I've answered it as best as I can.  I put the parts for the scope together, I'm not an optical engineer or anything.  Also, I mostly work on the lower end scopes (Rifleman, VX1, VX2) so I know less about the VX3 than I might otherwise.

VanMojo

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2004 at 19:25
It's been my opinion for the past few years that Leupold is a poor value....a poor "bang for the buck" scope.  Nikon Monarch, and Burris FFII are a much better value than comparable Leupolds.  Notice I didn't say that leupold's are poor scopes, they are just seriously over-priced.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2004 at 20:19

when you pay for a leupold, you basically pay for the name, in meaning, your paying for a scope that leupold is going to stand behind forever.

cry

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2004 at 09:38
I'm sure Leupold does stand behind the products, but over the last 20 years I have had zero problems with my Pentax Lightseekers, Burris, and Swarovski scopes so I haven't needed any warranty work.  Comparing these side by side with my buddie's VX III's my Pentax and Burris Signature's are better in my opinion.  I just don't see paying the extra premium just because it says Leupold. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2004 at 15:11

but just incase you get a fualty one, isnt it nice knowing that you dont have to pull teeth to get it fixed under warranty, and once you get passed that, waiting forever to get it fixed. i definently am not saying there is anything wrong with any other brands, because i bow down to the all mighty burris, and swaro, but im jsut making a statement about leupolds unmatched warranty service.

cory

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2004 at 16:39
I'll take your word for that, as I have no experience with them.  99% of the time I'm sure they work great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic