OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

advice, Bushnell. Kahles, Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice, Bushnell. Kahles, Swarovski
    Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:16
I've got a Bushnell 1.5x6x36 on my deer rifle, and "need"(meaning want) more power at the top end.
I have a 2.5x10 Bushnell 4200 in the safe, not being used. The issue is that it is going on a 18" barrel carbine 358 WIN pump, and the 4200 scope is so damn big, 13.5 inches long.
There is no sence upgrading, unless I make a big upgrade, so I'm thinking of a Kahles CL 3-10x42, however it's about 12.5 inches long. I would not bother with the rangefinder thing on the CL.
Or a Swar 3-9x36, only 11.88 inches long.

Thoughts please...I like the idea of the light and short Swar, but the Kahles Cl is getting such god press...

1) Would the Kahles or Swar be a "big" upgrade over the 4200?
2) Am I being anal about the scope length? I find myself really putting a premium on the short scope that Swar offers..
3) I assume Kalhes CL and Swar are "about" the same in quality/picture/resolution? They are priced "about" the same.

Help, deer season is only 2 weeks away..
Kevin
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:29

I've owned two of the three Kahles CL models (currently own the 52mm; used to own the 50mm).  Before I bought my first one, my final choices were the CL and Swarovski.  I have been extremely happy going with the CL.  One advantage the CL has over the Swaro is the large field of view.  It is also (to my eyes and those of my best friend who shoots a Swarovski PH w/56mm objective) brighter at low light, a characteristic that probably has something to do with the proprietary coatings used on the lenses.  Reliability and tracking have been flawless and this should also be the case with any Swarovski.

I can't imagine a reason why you'd feel under-performed with the CL scope you're considering. 

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:46

The kahles CL is the best scope that will give you every advatage from the ones you listed.

Skip the Multi-zero and save some money it well be a upgrade well worth the price.

yellolab View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2006 at 09:39
OK guys, I just did it....

Went with a samplelist Kahles CL with flip up covers for $827 shipped 2 day....can't wait for Friday.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic