OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for TRG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for TRG
    Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:05
I just bought a Sako TRG 22 .308 and was wanting ton know what scope you guys think would work the best on it?  I will be shooting it mostly at the range out to 600 yards.  Thanks a bunch, shootergirl
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:07
Budget??
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
shootergirl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:08

1000.00-1500.00

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:12
I was thinking about a IOR or a Nightforce NXS.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:47

shootergirl, I'm green with envy!!!  That's a heck of a rifle and you are wise to marry it with a high quality scope.

Based on your budget, here are my suggestions (in no particular order):

--IOR 35mm 6x24 50mm w/MP8 reticle: fantastic optics, accurate, reliable tracking and (in my opinion) the best reticle on the planet.;

--Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 56mm: from a resolution & clarity standpoint, it's just a tiny bit better than the IOR.  Very popular model with benchrest shooters but it is HUGE.  Also has a reputation for durability.;

--Zeiss VM/V 6x24 56mm: glass is about as good as you're going to get in the rifle optics world.  Mil-dot reticle is set to correct mils and is easy to learn.  Pricing is either right at or just over $1,500.;

--"second hand" USO (US Optics): these are amazing scopes designed for the serious bench rest shooter.  Many are custom built so mag ranges, reticles & objective sizes can vary widely.  Check out a few of the "sniper" websites and some benchrest forum classifieds as some "lightly used" scopes can be found for under $1,500.  Made in the USA but the glass comes from Schott Glasswerks in Germany.

Best of luck to you & let us know what you decide.  Even better, take a pic of your rig once you have it all set up!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:52

Also I think the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 x 50 Illuminated M1 Long Range Tactical with the TMR reticle should be mentioned as worth strong consideration.  First choice would be a US Optice SN3 with EREK 3.3-17x

I recently got a good close look at a 6x42 IOR and had a chance to closely compare it to my Mk 4 10x M3 and I will say it had great glass and I like the MP8 reticle also the 6x wont break the bank. Worth consideration as well is the 10X42M Super Sniper which is a very fun scope and quite reasonably priced - likely all the scope anyone would ever need. Nightforce is a contender as is S&B and they may appeal to you if you bought aTRG. 

I  would rather have the   TAC OPS or GAPrecision custom guns which are the best in the world bar none.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:54
Thanks for the help.  Is there much of a difference in the Zeiss optics compared to the others?  I don't mind spending more if there is a significant difference in quality.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 20:57

Urimaginaryfrnd I take it you are not a Sako fan? I looked at the GAP rock and the crusader, but they were more than I paid for my TRG.  G.A. Precision Short Action - Built to G.A. Precision specs by Lawton Machine, LLC. Dillan, MT
•Price: $3325

That is $1350.00 more than I paid for my TRG.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:19

Originally posted by shootergirl shootergirl wrote:

Thanks for the help.  Is there much of a difference in the Zeiss optics compared to the others?  I don't mind spending more if there is a significant difference in quality.  

In my opinion, this particular Zeiss (6x24 56mm) is the best I've ever looked through.  I have a Zeiss VM/V 4x12 56mm that has amazing glass but I think (for some reason, I don't know why) this particular model is even better.  To me, it's worth the extra money.  This is the scope that I absolutely covet when I build my "dream gun."

One thing to consider before buying: determine internal MOA adjustment.  I know the Nightforce has a very wide range but I'm uncertain of that of the Zeiss.  A one-piece tactical 20MOA picatinny base might be a good investment if you want to go out past 600yds.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:25
I got the 20 moa picatinny base when I bought the rifle and from what they told me I should be able to shoot to 1000 yards with 175 grain matchkings with 41 moa.  If I understood correctly.lol
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:31

Originally posted by shootergirl shootergirl wrote:

I got the 20 moa picatinny base when I bought the rifle and from what they told me I should be able to shoot to 1000 yards with 175 grain matchkings with 41 moa.  If I understood correctly.lol

Sounds about right to me.  Then again, I've done very little shooting past 600yds.  It just ain't my thing...

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:41

Something I was curious about everyone is always talking about clarity.  Does it make a difference in the daytime or only at night?  I won't be shooting in lowlight just daytime.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 21:44

Helllo  Shootergirl

For a truly serious Tactical scope that gives you every advantage and will not let you down,

try this Schmidt & Bender PMII 3-12x50, this company truly does things right in every way.

http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_policemarksman.shtml

Here is a post where Mike McDonald who is a proffesional tactical scope expert who also

works for SWFA jumps in and gives his opinion on the performance of this scope.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4630&PN=1

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 10:25

Depending on velocity and your atmospheric conditions you can run the 308/175 combination to 1200 yards with 45.9 moa.  That's 175@2650@1060ASL @28,85 Hg station pressure @75degrees F

It'll push 1750 yards on the 20moa inclinde depending on the scope used.

If most of your stuff is distance shooting take a look at the Leupold MkIV M1 16X.  Hard to beat and right in your budget.

Mike

ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 14:11

SB, USO, Ziess Diavari 6-24x56, Nightforce, Leupold, Hensoldt, Kahles, Swarovski and IOR are the usual suspects.  Take care and have fun, Chris

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 14:20

CG....That is a WICKED looking stick!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 15:30

SVD thank you very much for the compliment but I really need to say that I'm no expert, and that I'm not an SWFA employee...........

Chris knows better than to let me around all the toys 

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 16:53

Hi

I agree, the 6-24x56 Zeiss is an outstanding glass espeisally if you shoot at twilight or when the light is low.

Anyway it's the sharpest glass I ever have looked through.

The eyerelief is consistant, and that is far better than the leupold where the eyerelief is changing with the magnification.

I do own and use two Zeiss ZF 6-24X72 (military scopes but has a civilian equiliant)that I am exeptionally satisfied with.

There is a few things on the wish list, but as nooone on the planet is fullfilling my whises anyway so I stick to the Zeiss (Hensoldt) scopes.

Regards Technika

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 17:43

Very nice set-ups Chris and Technika, any one of these scopes would be exellent with the TRG shootergirl.

Mike I really do consider you an expert, there are to little people that do what you can do.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 12:13

http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm   balistics charts.

SAKO TRG22 GREEN   This is what I'm seeing for the rifle alone but what kills you is the cost of the bipod and mags are not cheap.
$2,969.99

The G. A. Precision Base Precision Rifle $2300.00       or     GAP Crusader, 308 Win P/N: #CRU-XX  Price:  $3325 (3/8 MOA Guarantee)

I was convinced when I walked in the door and saw the rifles GAP was building for the U.S.M.C. to say nothing of the fact that I commented I've never seen that many Badger Ordnance rings before in one place to which they told me that is because we build them.

As for the Sako I'm sure you will enjoy it.   They have a fine extractor and the bipod while costly is the best system out there. I'm still waiting trying to aquire a folding Accuracy International stock to have a GAP gun built on it, but they are hard to come by.

As for Tac Ops here is an engraved floor plate from one in 300WM that pretty much says it all.  They guarantee 1/4MOA or better by the way.  

United States Secret Service
1 of 14 Rifles

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic