OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

gunsmith service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gunsmith service
    Posted: October/24/2006 at 22:46

hey there,,, new to the board.....

i have a question about a store, anyone know of anybody who has used gander mountain sporting goods store's gunsmith service.  looking to get my savage '06 laped and pillar bedded after this season.  they are new to the orlando area, to muscle in on bass pro.  there are three other gnsms  in the cfl area and i know they do good work.

any info would be of help.....thanks.....

the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
MARKSMANSHIP-from great to what the hell!!!!!...it depends on the day, the rotation of earth and the pull of the moon, etc.
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2006 at 00:53
Are you looking to bed a factory stock? Wood/Laminate/Synthetic? Lap the barrel?
snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2006 at 07:57
hey there, yea i got it for x-mas yrs ago, model 110 w/ factory synth stock, standard barrel.  it shoots good already, but i would like to tighten it up, headed north to idaho or montanna next yr.  also looking to put some money into a good scope, possiblly a bushnell 4200 or a meopta..thanks...i can't spell this morning.............
the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
MARKSMANSHIP-from great to what the hell!!!!!...it depends on the day, the rotation of earth and the pull of the moon, etc.
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2006 at 09:16
Find out who is the best gunsmith in your area and seek them out. GOOD choice for scope you won't be disappointed with the Bushnell.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2006 at 14:46

there are two who are respectable and i know poeple who have had work done, i never heard of gander except as a magazine,  just didnot know about them....thanks for the replies.......

the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 13:58

We just got a new Gander Mountain store in our area and got some new customers because of their gun smith.

We've had two different guys stop by to see if we could determine what was wrong with their scope they bought and had mounted and boresighted by Gander Mountain's gunsmith.  Both complained they could not even get on paper at 100 yards.

First set up half of the ring screws (4/8) not tightened to their correct in/lb setting and one of the base screws not tightened at all.

Second set up had the rear ring all the way to one side and used up all the scope's windage to trying to boresight it.

Scope mounting and boresighting is not gun smithing but its not rocket science either.  Any competent smith should be able to properly do it in my opinion.  This is just two stories from one store and hopefully is not a sign of how all the Gander Mountain smiths are.

snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 18:48
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

We just got a new Gander Mountain store in our area and got some new customers because of their gun smith.

We've had two different guys stop by to see if we could determine what was wrong with their scope they bought and had mounted and boresighted by Gander Mountain's gunsmith.  Both complained they could not even get on paper at 100 yards.

First set up half of the ring screws (4/8) not tightened to their correct in/lb setting and one of the base screws not tightened at all.

Second set up had the rear ring all the way to one side and used up all the scope's windage to trying to boresight it.

Scope mounting and boresighting is not gun smithing but its not rocket science either.  Any competent smith should be able to properly do it in my opinion.  This is just two stories from one store and hopefully is not a sign of how all the Gander Mountain smiths are.

holy crap!!!!!!!!!   i will diffently be sticking with tried and true gunsmiths in the area...and i am no rocket sciencetis nor a ROCK!!!! nor can spell...lol........  but i can bore sight and hit the paper............

the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic