OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris scope quality problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronscript Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris scope quality problems?
    Posted: October/22/2006 at 15:33
I recently purchased a Fullfield II 2-7x35.  The windage adjustment was extremely difficult to turn, i.e. it would not turn using fingers, but required using a quarter.  The elevation adjustment would not turn at all!  I had to use a pair of pliers in order to get the adjustment to start moving.  After operating both adjustments through their full range several times, they are operating easier now - but still nothing like the Burris Signature scope I purchased about two years ago.  The quality of the adjustments knobs are also rather poor.  They are very soft (deformed when I tried to use a screwdriver to turn them) and look much less refined than those on the Signature series.  I think this new Fullfield II may not be holding zero either, as groups are extremely poor now from the muzzleloader I put the scope on.  Up until now Burris has been my first choice for a new scope, but this experience is making me have second thoughts.  I think I will take this off the gun and send it back for repair.

Another friend recently sent in a nearly new (< 50 rounds fired) Fullfield scope to get target knobs installed.  He installed the scope on a shotgun and after about 20 rounds the reticle loosened and started to turn in the scope.  This scope has been sent back again to be fixed.

Has anyone else experienced quality issues with Burris scopes recently?  I think the Fullfield II is the best value available in a rifle scope, but if there are now quality issues, I will be purchasing other brands.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 16:32

Welcome to The OT!!

Appreciate your post. Sorry you have had such a bad time.

Several big Burris fans hang out on here and they should be chiming in here shortly.

Any experience with Burris CS dept yet or no??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
CoyoteCaller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoyoteCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 19:09
I sent them an email over a week ag about a quality issue with a 3-12 Signature select scope and have had no reply yet.......In te last week I have bought a FFII 4.5-14 and a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40.  I really like the 4200 and may too change my favorite brand.  Before ALL of my scope were Burris......
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 20:43

The Fullfield II is assembled in the new Burris facility in the phillipines.

The Fullfield II Tactical series is assembled in the US. I had expected to

see more failures with the new Fullfield II's but to my suprise there has

been very few Fullfield II failure reports. The Signature Select is a much

better scope in every way than the Fullfield II but it is a lttle more pricey.

Signature Select complaints are very rare, Coytotecaller what is the

problem with yours,I am very curious. Every scope company ounce in a

while makes a lemon,but that is when having a good warranty kicks

in. Let us know how you guys do with your scopes.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 21:13
I have had three Burris scopes and I still have the 1x and like it as for the other two the scopes were notuseable at higher powers and I got rid of them. My experience wiht their customer service has been slow and lacking in concern.  None of the big optic manufacturers has time for e-mails so write them or call them and ask for information on returning the scope for service. then plan on several months up to 6 mo. Some of the ohter manufacturers are better and some are worse.Burris does offer a lot for the dollar which is why a lot of people like them. I pr4efer Leupold and dont care if they are over priced I still like them and I dont buy the cheap ones. I also think that Nikon Monarchs are nice scopes and I shot a nice 11 point buck today with a Nikon Omega 3-9 on a 50 cal Encore. Big  Iowa deer over 300 lbs.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoyoteCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2006 at 09:37

Here is the message I sent to Burris.  

I have a 3-12 Signature Select scope and ahve noticed that images and detail through it are rather fuzzy.  I have tried to Adjust the Eyepiece but it has not cleared.  This seems to be the same at all ranges and magnifications.  I also own a FFII 4.5-14 and an old 2x7 compact and seem to have  better image Quality than with the Signature Select.  Any suggestions as what I should do?

and here is the reply

The eyepiece adjustment will only adjust for the focus of the reticle. The parallax adjustment will adjust the focus of the image or target. When using a high magnification scope heat mirage becomes much more critical and may be necessary to decrease magnification until heat waves decrease.

thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2006 at 11:48

I just completed an internet trade that netted me a Signature 8-32X with Mildot.

I noticed a bit of debris, very small at 12oclock.

I called Burris, and they asked me what model scope it was.

I got the feeling they service Signatures, and other high end scopes differently that the Fullfield line.

Told me to send it in and 5 days later, I had a receipt from them indicating they had it and today, three weeks later, brown will deliver it to my door.

I think that's pretty good service.

BTW, the scope is for sale or trade (hope I don't break any rules with that one).

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2006 at 13:53
Originally posted by CoyoteCaller CoyoteCaller wrote:

Reply from Burris.

The eyepiece adjustment will only adjust for the focus of the reticle. The parallax adjustment will adjust the focus of the image or target. When using a high magnification scope heat mirage becomes much more critical and may be necessary to decrease magnification until heat waves decrease.

Everything that is written here is true, the only problem is that they are assuming you were using your scope during sunny warm weather at 12x.If this is not the case, send the scope back to them I am pretty shure they will take care of you. Let us know how you do.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoyoteCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2006 at 14:02

I agree with the last statement.  I was hoping that they woould suggest it might be defective.  I will do some more checking and make sure I am not just seeing things........then send it to them.......

thanks

cronscript View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronscript Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2006 at 19:51
Here is the response I got back from Burris today.

Depending on the tolerances of the adjustment dials some will fit tighter at first then others. No matter the case the adjustment dials will work as intended.

Thank you,
Burris Company

Which I personally think is a load of BS. Apparently an elevation knob that requires pliers to move initially is perfectly fine?

I will thoroughly clean the muzzleloader this week and see what happens for the first few shots. If they do not group, I will go back to iron sights and send the scope in.
00buckshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2006 at 15:02
I also purchased a new Fullfield II 3 x 9 for my new T/C Omega last September.  I was enticed by the free Landmark binocular for my boys (I Have 3, all 10 and under) and the recommedation from the clerk at my local Gander Mtn store. During my sight in session I found I could not hold a group.  I called Thompson and they thought the crosshairs were "jumping".  I returned the Scope to Gander for a new Fullfield but did not get it sighted in.  I later shot a buck with the Omega open sights later in December confirming that the rifle was fine.  I attempted to get this new Fullfield sighted in in September of this year and found that it acted the same as the previous defective scope.  I called Gander Mtn and they were nice enough to exchange this scope for me, even after 1 year.  This time I was going to be smart in my desicion and I chose the Nikon Omega since I have had good luck with their Monarch in the past.  I sighted this new scope in recently firing only 14 shots and my last 5 of those were grouped into a 2.75 inch circle.  Needless to say Nikon has my business now and in the future.  Eliminate the headache and stay away from the Burris Fullfield II. 
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2006 at 17:20

00buck,

You're experience seems different than the majority of FFII users.

I have one on a Tikka T3 300WSM.

You may note this rifle weighs approx 6.5lbs.

300WSM is a pretty intense round.

I have apprx 100 rounds thru this rifle and the scope has never needed any sort of adjustment and shoots MOA with everything I feed it.

Don't condemn the scope based on your experience.

I have the same scope on a Tikka 7mm-08.

Same experience.

I would easily buy another.

Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2006 at 18:16
I don't know a whole lot about this, but wouldn't a muzzleloader have a different kind of recoil than a rifle that would be causing the fulfield II to do goofy things?  
00buckshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2006 at 14:43

When I called Thompson in regards to this matter they suggested that the recoil from a muzzleloader is different in that it kicks up into the scope.  Burris, however, said the scope should work on any firearm including muzzleloaders.  Perhaps Burris misrepresents this scope to the extent that it will work well on all firearms when in fact it doesn't.

cronscript View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronscript Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 16:37
I managed to try the muzzleloader again this past weekend.  The groups seemed ok, but not as good as I remember with iron sights.  I will leave the scope on for the hunting season and maybe experiment with it next year.  I'm still not impressed with the adjustments though, they are extremely difficult to move using fingers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic