OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Fullfield II Proper Use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canyon Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Fullfield II Proper Use
    Posted: October/22/2006 at 15:16

Hi all,

I recently sighted in my Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 at 100 yards and it is fantastic! Shooting quarter groups easily. Thank you so much.

Here is my question:

It is my understanding that for the ballistic plex to work properly I must have the magnification cranked up to 9 (full power). Is this the correct way to use the ballistic plex? That being said if I happen to take a shot at say 300 yards and for some reason only have the scope on 3 power that it will not be accurate correct?

Any body out there know for sure that this is true? I already contacted Burris because the manual is not very clear, to me any way, and the response I got was not very clear either. Please help.

Thanks in advance

Buck...400 yards...can't tell if it's a 3-pt...gotta get closer...let's go chase after it!
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 22:15

You must be on max magnification to use the Ballistic Plex reticle's hold over.

ranburr

Canyon Runner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canyon Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 23:11

Ranburr,

Whew! Thank you for getting back on this so quickly. I appreciate it, and feel a lot better about taking a longer shot knowing exactly how to use the scope. I will do some testing during the afternoon away from my hunting area, but unfortunately can't get out to do it until opening day.

Thanks again

Buck...400 yards...can't tell if it's a 3-pt...gotta get closer...let's go chase after it!
shano View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 20:40
Hello, I seen your post and i was wanting to ask a question.  I also bought the burris fullfield 2  with plex recticle.   I sighted the gun in on max power and was shooting in a  tight circle on bullseye at 100 yds.  I went hunting last week and had a buck staring at me on my way out. I shot 3 times at him and he never moved!  I thought maybe i knocked the scope off or something.  I went and shot it again next day and it was still dead on.  I thought maybe buck fever.  I went hunting last night in the rain and a monster 8 point stepped out. this time i was ready, proped up in the stand.  I missed again!!!!!!!!  at about 40 yards!!!!  I am about to throw this scope away!!!    can someone tell my what is going on??
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 20:43
I'd be surprised if it is a scope a problem.  Have you tried shooting from field positions on the range? or only from the bench?

ILya
shano View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2006 at 21:15

i have sighted the scope at the range and on an incline.  I even shot at a standing stance and still was within two inches.  The only thing different in the stand than any other is that the shooting rail is quite high and i have to put the stock kinda high on my shoulder.  but i still put the crosshairs on  the deer last night when i shot.  I dont see how it could have missed as close as he was.  I an not sure what the numbers at the end of the scope are so i leave it on 100 yds.  I have  a 7mm with a  swarovski habiacht on it i am about to pull out. 

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 01:31

I'm sorry to tell you this, but it ain't the scope.

ranburr

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 05:44
Tell more about gun and ammo please
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 07:58

shano

Do you only have access to a 100 yard range?  Sounds like you need to site in at both 50 & 200 yds to see where your arc is.  Couple of questions....... do you have the Balistic Plex or Plex reticle and why are you using 9 power to site in at 100 yds and what power did you have the scope on when you were shooting at the deer?

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 08:05

Now a clarifying question for the whole forum:

I have the same scope (FFII w/Ballistic Plex) on a 22-250 and I don't remember reading you have to have it set to 9 power for hold-over to work...... that's quite dissappointing!  I have always been told that it should NOT matter what power you set a variable scope, they should all share the same zero..... so why is this different?  Do all "hold-over" systems work this way?

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 10:42
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Now a clarifying question for the whole forum:

I have the same scope (FFII w/Ballistic Plex) on a 22-250 and I don't remember reading you have to have it set to 9 power for hold-over to work...... that's quite dissappointing!  I have always been told that it should NOT matter what power you set a variable scope, they should all share the same zero..... so why is this different?  Do all "hold-over" systems work this way?

The center crosshairs (i.e. the part you are sighting in) will be the same regardless the magnification.  The dimension of ther eticle with respect to the target (the distnce from the center crosshair to the holdover hashmarks) will change depending on the magnification.  This is true for all second focal plane reticle scopes, which the vast majprity of scope out in the US market.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic