OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope suggestion 22-250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope suggestion 22-250
    Posted: October/22/2006 at 00:40
Hi all new here. I have a Remington model 788 22-250 was looking to put a new scope on it would like to keep the cost around or under 200.$. what would be a good brand to go with at this price range and what kinda of power would you recomend at a shooting range out to around 400 yards. thanks for everyones time.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 04:54

Welcome To The OT!!

Are you shooting small varmints, like PD's out to 400 yds, or bigger game like coyotes??

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6453/nikon_4.5-14x40_buc kmaster_riflescope.htm

This would be a good setup.

I'm not sure if the BDC circles would obscure your smaller targets, but it would be wicked good for coyotes!! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
HotRod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 12:51
I live in southern IL. so most of the stuff I shoot are coyotes and ground hogs. what about a tasco or a simmons or a bushnell scope which of this would be a good choice?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 16:11

Originally posted by HotRod HotRod wrote:

I live in southern IL. so most of the stuff I shoot are coyotes and ground hogs. what about a tasco or a simmons or a bushnell scope which of this would be a good choice?

I have no recent experience with the Simmons or Tasco's.

The Bushnell 3200 would be an option, I guess.

If you can pony up the few extra dollars for the Nikon BM or Burris Full Field II, you would be better served, IMO.

You will probably "need" a BDC, mil dot, or equivalent on your budget, unless you want to go with target knobs and "click" your shots.  With target knobs, your talking MORE money than your current budget allows.

$299.00 for the Nikon BM w/ BDC or $289.00 for the same scope with a mil dot and your home free, my friend.

Good shooting!

Yotecaller1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2006 at 15:30

HotRod-

I put a SS 10X on my 250 (you can check it out in the pics section-just look for Yotecaller1), works great for shootin PD's (and if you range them you can dial in the dope which is a plus) also, they're rugged as hell.  Have not lost zero yet, and I have tweeked the knobs quite a bit.  Yotes it works good too, for that type of animal I wouldn't recomend going about 10X for a running shot.  That's my two cents, let us know what you go with.

Have a good one

hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2006 at 18:39
Give the bushnell elite 3200 10x40 a look. They are under the 200 dollar mark that you want to spend.
Firepower usually means an increased number of misses
BlazinBob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlazinBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 20:05
Check out the Mueller Eraticator (8.5-25x50) with illuminated target dot, around $229.95.  I have one and it's great even at 25.  You can learn more about them and other Mueller scopes at www.muelleroptics.com.  You can also read reviews on the Mueller website.  Another great place to read reviews about different firearms and optics is www.gunblast.com.  Jeff from gunblast speaks very highly of the Mueller Eraticator.  If you don't need so much scope, I would check out the Mueller APV (4.5-14x40 wide angle) $114.95.  I own both and love both of these scopes.  A great place to buy these scopes for less than retail and with free shipping is www.oneclickshooting.com.  The prices I listed are from www.oneclickshooting.com.   I hope www.riflescopes.com will carry Mueller scopes one of these days because it is in my opinion the best place to buy optics.  I just wish they would add Mueller.
never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 12:00
I live in minnesota. I travel to south dakota every year to shoot prarie dogs. I have first hand expirence with many different scope makes and models. my friends and I have come to one conclusion about scopes. NO SCOPE IN THE UNDER FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR RANGE CAN COMPETE WITH THE TOP OF THE LINE SIMMONS BRAND. I do not, and cannot say these words unless I had acually seen the results of fruitless efforts of acquiring scopes claiming to be better. If possible go to a large sporting goods store comparing the scopes side by side, The best judge of quality is your own eye.Do not go crazy with magnification. Concentrate on optical clarity. We compared and belive it to be true that the use of an optical resolution chart is the scientific way of comparing optics at long ranges.    
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 12:40
Originally posted by never e nuff never e nuff wrote:

I live in minnesota. I travel to south dakota every year to shoot prarie dogs. I have first hand expirence with many different scope makes and models. my friends and I have come to one conclusion about scopes. NO SCOPE IN THE UNDER FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR RANGE CAN COMPETE WITH THE TOP OF THE LINE SIMMONS BRAND. I do not, and cannot say these words unless I had acually seen the results of fruitless efforts of acquiring scopes claiming to be better. If possible go to a large sporting goods store comparing the scopes side by side, The best judge of quality is your own eye.Do not go crazy with magnification. Concentrate on optical clarity. We compared and belive it to be true that the use of an optical resolution chart is the scientific way of comparing optics at long ranges.    

Would you mind elaborating a little on which exact Simmons scope you were comparing with which exact other brands?

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 14:40

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Would you mind elaborating a little on which exact Simmons scope you were comparing with which exact other brands?

ILya

PLEASE elaborate..........

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 11:38
I am refurring to two simmons whitetail classics 4.5X14X40 these retailed for about$175 and three simmons varmint 6X20X40 that went for around $115. I fully understand that these are no longer made. These scopes are still available thru auction sites to those looking for quality optics. Also these scopes have shown to maintain their zero where other scopes costing three times more have failed.(very frustrating) I do not crank my adjustments for anything. I belive that is a recipe for disaster. If one could find fault in these it would be that the crosshairs are a little fat with no mil-dot.In comparison we used Bushnell trophys,Bushnell legends,Tasco varmints,Bushnell 3200 and 4200,Leupold VX-III,BSA contenders,Shepard scopes,Tasco world class,Pentax,Swift,and others that elude me. Simmons is now owned by meade, along with redfield and weaver. I have not been able to examine one personally. There for I would recommend that if you are considering a purchase that you compare them side by side. Let your eye be the judge.   
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 12:37
I am fairly well familiar with the Simmons scopes you are referring to.  I was under an impression that while they are marginally better than the absolute piece of crap scopes like Tasco World Class or anything BSA, comparing them to actually decent scopes is a little startling.  I am more than a little baffled by the fact that you consider them superior to Bushnell Elite scopes, Leupy VX-III or Pentax (just to pick the ones I am well familiar with).

Have you ever actually seen an Elite 4200? 

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 12:41
Originally posted by BlazinBob BlazinBob wrote:

Check out the Mueller Eraticator (8.5-25x50) with illuminated target dot, around $229.95.  I have one and it's great even at 25.  You can learn more about them and other Mueller scopes at www.muelleroptics.com.  You can also read reviews on the Mueller website.  Another great place to read reviews about different firearms and optics is www.gunblast.com.  Jeff from gunblast speaks very highly of the Mueller Eraticator.  If you don't need so much scope, I would check out the Mueller APV (4.5-14x40 wide angle) $114.95.  I own both and love both of these scopes.  A great place to buy these scopes for less than retail and with free shipping is www.oneclickshooting.com.  The prices I listed are from www.oneclickshooting.com.   I hope www.riflescopes.com will carry Mueller scopes one of these days because it is in my opinion the best place to buy optics.  I just wish they would add Mueller.

Do you work for Mueller?

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 13:45
Yes I have two bushnell elite 4200 6X24 mill-dots on my varmint guns. One of them is a savage 12BVSS-S in .223 and the other is a savage 112BVSS in 25-06. Now I said I compared the simmons to the bushnell and found it to be the most acceptable scope in the under $200 catagory. What i did fail to mention was I found the 4200 to be the best in the $400 catagory. The leupold was also the most dissipointing for the money. NIce varmint hunters reticule, very poor optical clarity. I do not type fast, but I do understand that you can't aim your shot at a very small target that looks like a puffball through your scope. I also find it very hard to watch the impact of your shot if you have your scope set on anything much higher than 16 power. I lay prone on the ground with a harris bipod and a leather protector benchrest butt bag with a very heavy rifle. This gives me the highest percentage of one shot kills. I have been prarie dog shooting for over ten years. I am not a newbie to long range practical shooting. I shoot an average of 1400 rounds of hand loaded .223 ammo during a 5 day trip every year. I speak from expirence.        
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 16:06

I am not doubting your varminting experience in the slightest.

The reason I was confused is that in your original post (above), you called Simmons the best scope in the under four hundred dollars range.  That is what I disagree with.  Now that you posted a correction, saying that you consider Simmons the best under $200, and Elite 4200 under four hundred, my confusion is somewhat alleviated.

The part that we disagree (and this one is certainly debatable) is that there is a decent high magnification scope under $200.  You think that Simmons WTC is decent while I think WTC is best used as a paperweight.  I most certainly agree that Elite 4200 is a wonderful scope and that going with very high magnification is a mistake.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2006 at 11:17
All right Koshkin obvously you are very opioniated. It seems we do not agree on much. The orignial question from Hot Rod was advice on a scope at the $200 price. Also Hot Rod wanted to know about magnification. About this subject if your intended target is not standing still it would be hard to zero in on a moving target without the lower power on the variable. This website sells the new Simmons master series for $199. I think we all want to get the highest quality for the hard earned money we spend. That would be my advice. You give yours, opions are like a certain body part, everyone has one. If anyone would like to compare scopes and they are anywhere near the twin cities I would be happy to do so. I have a private 400 yard rifle range at my disposal. I love to shoot!  Koshkin please give us your pick for the above stated question oh orical? This is a hard question with very few possible quality answers.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2006 at 14:32

Koshkin please give us your pick for the above stated question oh orical? This is a hard question with very few possible quality answers.  

Lighten up, Francis.....Play nice.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2006 at 14:54

All right Koshkin obvously you are very opioniated. It seems we do not agree on much. The orignial question from Hot Rod was advice on a scope at the $200 price. Also Hot Rod wanted to know about magnification. About this subject if your intended target is not standing still it would be hard to zero in on a moving target without the lower power on the variable. This website sells the new Simmons master series for $199. I think we all want to get the highest quality for the hard earned money we spend. That would be my advice. You give yours, opions are like a certain body part, everyone has one. If anyone would like to compare scopes and they are anywhere near the twin cities I would be happy to do so. I have a private 400 yard rifle range at my disposal. I love to shoot!  Koshkin please give us your pick for the above stated question oh orical? This is a hard question with very few possible quality answers.  

In your original post you claimed that Simmons was better than anything under $400.

As for the under $200, there is no high magnification scope under $200 that is worth the money, IMO.

If you are shopping in that price range, you are better served with a Sightron S2 3-9x42.  You can buy it for about $200 and it makes up for comparatively lower magnificaiton with optical quality.  If you want holdover points, get a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex.

If you want higher magnification, with reasonably decent optics, prepare to pay more.

Glass wise, there is a kinda decent Swift Premier scope 4.5-14x44 for just over $200, but I am not a big fan of Swift scopes either.  Better than Simmons though.

Same thing with Mueller: their 4-16x50 is kinda OK, but I am not sure that higher magnificaiton offsets lower optical quality here.  At least, if it breaks, you'll get better service from Mueller than from Simmons.

Regarding Simmons scopes: they were, IMO, of pretty spotty quality before Meade took over.  Now with Meade in charge, I do not know if it got better or worse.  Time will tell.

About comparing scopes:  I do that quite a bit.  There is a reason why cheap scopes are cheap.  You get the most for your money in the $200 to $600 range (approximately).  Below that, you are likely to compromise quality, above that you hit a case of diminishing returns.  There are some low magnificaiton scopes and fixed mag scopes under $200 that are pretty good, but no varmint scopes that I am aware of.

ILya

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2006 at 17:00

I bought a Nikon Buckmaster the 4 to 12 with the 50 mil objective off the sample list for $ 229 and have used it on my 22-250  I am very happy with it, a lot of scope for the money. Only drawback is the Nikon 90 day limit. on sample list scopes.

Duce

Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2006 at 17:19

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

[There is a reason why cheap scopes are cheap. 

May I quote you on that, Sir???

You kill me!!!

I'll put that right up there with "Chi-com Crap".

Welcome to The OT, Duce.

Glad you like your Buckmaster.

I too am a "casual Buckmaster fan".  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic