OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Scope
    Posted: October/21/2006 at 10:09
After reading all the information and recommendation here for the last couple of days.  I got my scope narrowed down to the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 and the conquest 3-9x40.  This scope will sit on top of a .300 win mag used primarily for hunting moose.  My reading led me to believe that the 4200 is the best bang for the dollar but I'm concerned about the eye relief (3.3inches).  The price is attractive though.

The conquest on the other hand is more expensive but offers better eye relief and optics.  I'm concerned about the quality isse that have been mentioned here.

So is the eye relief on the bushnell suitable for the .300 win mag?  Is the conquest considered an upgrade and will it hold up?  Which of these two scopes would you choose?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2006 at 10:13

The Conquest has better eye relief.  As far as quality... It Sez Zeiss and has a lifetime warrenty.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2006 at 11:29

Swiler

Welcome to the forums.  I have both the Bushnell 4200 Elite, although mine is a 2.5-10x40 pretty much the same as what your looking at. I also own the Conquest.  Both are fantastic scopes.  Glass wise, the Zeiss has a slight edge in performance. But it is really very minimal.  I've done a couple non scientic side by side comparisons and the Zeiss has slightly better low light performance.  However, both scopes pull in plenty of light to allow a hunter to shoot well past legal or ethical shooting hours.  During normal sunny days, I really could not see any difference between the two scopes.  Also, if I might ask a ?  Does the rifle currently have a scope on it, and if so what is the new scope replacing.  Some people get concerned about eye relief on the Bushnell series only to find out that their current scope has the same relief.

Eye relief could be a concern.  It depends greatly on the shooter. I (just me personally) dont think the .300 win kicks too bad.  Jump up to to a .338 and I'd definitly want more eye relief.  If eye relief is a concern, then I'd definitly look to the Zeiss.  As far as quality issues, I have heard some complaints on this forum, however the vast majority of people have been very pleased, myself included. PLUS, it's a Zeiss if something is wrong send it back they will make it right.

Personally, I dont think you could go wrong with either scope.  I really like both, if it was me as much as I like my Zeiss your looking at a Bushnell 4200 at $258.00 to a Zeiss at $499. I'd get the Bushnell with the extra money I saved by a real nice recoil pad and lots of extra ammo to shoot with.

Keep us posted on what you decided on and how it worked out for ya...once again welcome to the forums.

Happy shooting

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

swiler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2006 at 12:24
Thanks for your insight guys.  Your input is helping me make my decision. 

The scope is going on a newly purchased A-bolt medallion.  This will be my first gun and scope purchase.  Before this I've used my father's .300 win mag which has an older weaver on it.  I have never had a problem with eye relief and did not really consider it until I starting reading the wealth of info here.  Just wanna be sure on my purchase as I plan on keeping it awhile.  So far I'm leaning heavily towards the 4200 ....

Swiler

smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2006 at 13:23

I have recently had to make the same basic decision. An old model 70 in 300 H&H. I have a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 2.5X10X40 and a Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40. I have been bit before by a 7mm mag. Both scopes in my opinion have great glass (I wonder how the B&L Balvar compares to the current Bushnell 4200 series) They look to be about the same scope other than the rainguard coating. The Zeiss to me looks a bit clearer and has a bit more low light capability. I went for the eye relief, the Zeiss is now on the 300 H&H and the B&L is staying on the Sako 75 6.5X55. I did have some concerns with the Zeiss on a magnum, but if anything goes wrong they will fix it.   A Zeiss conquest 3X9X40 is only $399 on the sample list. Both are great scopes and I think that you will be pleased with either.

HTH

Ron  

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2006 at 22:20

Both are good scopes.  I have numerous Conquest and have never had an issue.

ranburr

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2006 at 01:57

Hello Swiler

For the money I do not think there is a better deal out there than that 3-9x40 4200.

NCHunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2006 at 13:54

I haven't owned either one, but have looked through them both. The Conquest I looked through was clear and bright but looked like the outter edge of the viewing picture was a little distorted, the Bushnell was clear and bright all the way out to the edge. Has anyone else noticed this with the Conquest or was it possibly a bad scope? I have always read good things about the Conquest, as well as the 4200 Bushnell. Good luck with your quest.

NCHunter

.41Dave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .41Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2006 at 14:45
I have the Zeiss, and there is no distortion at all, even at the very edge of the field of view.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic