OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hi everyone , scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi everyone , scope?
    Posted: October/20/2006 at 10:48

Hi guys I'm new to your site.

Which of these is a better scope?

Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope

• Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free 5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase

SWFA:

$418.95

Nikon 6.5-20x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Limited Time Sale, $180. off our normal price
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
  • Free Nikon Spud w/ Purchase
SWFA: $449.95
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:06

Definately the Nikon - not only is it a 44mm objective that will let in more light than the 40mm objective but it is illuminated and on top of that has Target Knobs.  Now the question  - Is this the right scope for your rifle? That can only be answered if you say what you have and how you intend to use it.

The 6.5-20  power range is a fine choice for someone who target shoots on a range and still hunts from a blind or tree stand, It is the wrong choice if you plan to stalk game or stalk enemy combatants - CloseQuartersBattle. As a distant sniper scope it would still be useable but not the norm. A better choice would be one of the Nikon Illuminated Tactical's on Sample List  or a Leupold Mark 4  or the really pricey ones like U.S. Optics Nightforce & S&B.  But as a poormans sniper scope it will work and it has good glass. If you are LE  you will want a true tactical scope due to the liability issues.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
shootergirl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:16
Does the nikon have better glass also?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:40
Elite 4200 has slightly better glass than Nikon Monarch and would be my choice.

ILya

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:42

Hello Shootergirl

Welcome to the OT, the 4200 has the best glass and the Burris signature select has the most reticle selections and has the most robust construction . IMO both the Signature Select and the 4200 have better glass than the Monarch.

Trinidad

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:45
Thank you both.  Is the side focus on the 4200 worth the extra $ and why is it more?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:53

If the price is  close I would go with the side focus, if there is a substantial price

difference the AO model is very nice and has been around for a while serving people

very well. Do a little bargain shoping and let us know what you come up with.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 12:23
How is the customer service at SWFA?  I don't mind paying a little more if the service is top notch.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 12:36

The Customer service is very good, thier shipping is pretty fast.

TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 12:54
SWFA is top notch and you won't be disappointed!  I wouldn't hesitate to buy from SWFA!
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 13:04
 SHOOTERGIRL!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 13:05
The glass in both is so good that you would have to be an optical genuis like Koshkin to be able to tell the difference.   I greatly prefer the Nikon. Buy with confidence from SWFA if there is a problem they will make it right.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 13:06
Hi Stephanie
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 14:02

Are you referring to the GGG-1192 that you got from us?

The TA30 has a longer screw, but the size is the same.. and there is only one in the TA30 and two in the

GGG-1192..I hope that is what you are referring to..

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 15:15
Hello Shootergirl I too am new to this board, but as of today because of all the friendly people and advice that I have received I purchased a Bushnell 4200 6X24X40 today from SWFA to put on my Rem 700 Sendero 22-250.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 15:21

Good to hear Medic!!!

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 15:33

Originally posted by medic52 medic52 wrote:

The Ozark Hillbilly 

lol!!!!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 15:38

Welcome to The OT!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 17:14

Originally posted by shootergirl shootergirl wrote:

How is the customer service at SWFA?  I don't mind paying a little more if the service is top notch.

SWFA is the gold standard in optics dealers. 

They rule!!

Buy with confidence!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 18:21

Hello,

I guess I'll throw my two cents in praising the Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb Elites.  I have a B&L Elite 4000 6-24x40 AO that was mounted on a Sendero in 7 rem mag and its a nifty piece of glass.  I've since moved that scope to the Savage 12 VLP in 22-250 and bought another B&L Elite 4200 4-16x50 AO which is now on the Sendero.  Both are the same as the Bushnell marquee and both offer pretty decent glass and construction quality for the money.  30% titanium alloy, hand hammered, one piece tubes and thy are pretty rigid, if you ask me.  I wouldn't hesitate buying Nikon scopes, as I'm a fan of their cameras/lenses and they know glass as well, but I've never owned or shot using one.

As far as side focus goes, it's probably more tac-ti-cool to have side focus, but for target shooting at static distances, AO is fine. 

Good luck, Chris

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic