OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6X Fixed Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondo56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6X Fixed Choices
    Posted: October/19/2006 at 21:27

I am shopping SWFA for a fixed 6X scope for my Ruger M77 in 7mm Mag. Do you recommend the Burris FFII in 6 x 40 or the Nikon Monarch 6 X 42?

I have a FFII and like it very much, but like some of you I'm always looking at other stuff out of curiosity.

Does the Nikon hold up to magnum recoil?

Thanks for your input.

Here's to ya, pilgrim.
Hondo56
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 08:59

Hi hondo -

try the IOR valdada - 6x42 - excellent glass and durability. a little bit more expensive, but worth it.

nikons are good too, but i don't have experience w/ the magnum recoil w/ those.

good luck.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:38
The three best inexpensive (between $200 and $300) 6x scopes are Burris Fullfield II 6x40, Nikon Monarch 6x42 and Sightron S2 6x42.

All three would work well.  Monarch and S2 have a little better glass than FFII, but all three are pretty good.  I think Sightron has the most flexible eye relief of the three.

If you can afford to spend more money, IOR 6x42 is better than just about about anything this side of Kahles 6x.

If you want to spend less money, take a look at Weaver K6.

Personally, I am partial to Sightrons and IORs.

ILya
hondo56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondo56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 12:03
I had not considered IOR. The price difference only means stashing cash for another month.
I see I need to get 30mm rings as well.  It's interesting the IOR has a steel tube instead of aircraft aluminum. It should be pretty rugged.

Question answered, decision made. Thank you, gentlemen.
Here's to ya, pilgrim.
Hondo56
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 12:38
The IOR might be a good choice for you. I recently ordered one in looked it over very closely and decided it was not the right optic for my DPMS (.308 CAR type) and returned it for a Trijicon 4x. However upon arrival I placed it next to my Leupold Mark 4  10x M3  and was quite amazed at the quality of the glass. The turrets are medium size and have good audible and feel clicks. I was a little surprised that the tube is steel but it should be tough and would just require that you wipe it down and take care of it. I must say that the glass was amazing for a scope that cost about a third of what my Leupold cost. The MP8 reticle is better than a standard mil dot. Fine Choice for a bolt gun.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 14:00
Don't forget the Leupold FX III 6X42.  I like mine a lot.  It's kind of become my go to scope.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 14:30

Hello Hondo56

Great choice to go with the IOR.

hondo56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondo56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 14:46
Thanks, everyone. I'm not going to waffle around and will go with the IOR. The Ruger is my secondary rifle; my primary is a Model 70 left hand with a Burris Signature Select variable on top in 30.-06. Love that gun.
I've grown to like fixed powers as I seem to always shoot at 6X no matter what. If the Sig Select came in 6X fixed I'd go with it.

In January I will start on building my own custom rifle (first attempt) in .280 Rem or 7-08. I will want to top it with an excellent scope, so this experience with IOR, Burris et al will help me decide my favorite. I know it would be a bit overpriced but I really like the Leupold Gunmetal Gray. Alas, it does not come in FXIII.

Just a note for the Masters,Professionals and knowledgeable others; amateurs like me do appreciate your input. There are so many scopes out there now (I'm surprised Amway doesn't have one) that it's hard to cull out the crap from the cream.
Thanks.
Here's to ya, pilgrim.
Hondo56
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 15:32

IOR  Rocks!!!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 20:33
I got TPS rings with my IOR 35mm scope.

I am impressed with the quality of both.

ILya
hondo56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondo56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 21:25
When I call in my order to SWFA I will have to ask for the best available 30mm rings for a Ruger M77. In the meantime, I'll look into TPS to see if they have them.  I know Burris and Leupold have Ruger 30mm rings.

Thanks.
Here's to ya, pilgrim.
Hondo56
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic