OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pregnant doe... yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pregnant doe... yesterday
    Posted: September/18/2022 at 19:01
Most of the does had their babies last week... still have a couple that are not ready yet...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2022 at 15:52
Saw first twin fawns this morning.  Have not checked the game camera yet... mowed all day.  Probably check it first thing in the morning.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2022 at 17:07
Nice to have the critters around. Daughter often sees deer and turkey on their farm. The deer there feed on corn and soybean so get pretty fat compared to our white tails up North.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2022 at 17:09
Whitetails, normally, have their young in June/July.  Alabama is "different"

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2022 at 17:31
Up here fawns are generally born late May to first week of June. Sounds like the warmer the area the later the fawning.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2022 at 20:18
So... the Canadian "rut" for whitetails is primarily the last two weeks of November... puts your primary fawn birth in May, some in June.  The largest whitetail population in the U.S. is in Texas and their birth period is generally June/July... however, throughout the U.S., births NORMALLY occur between April and July...mid-April to early July, most commonly.  Alabama, however, depleted its whitetail population in the early 1900's... by 1930, there were almost none left in the State.  Hunting in Alabama was prohibited for some time in the "restocking" process.  Deer from all over the country were used in restocking and 6 subspecies were introduced to the remaining Alabama population.  Rut in my area runs from about October to March... I have pregnant deer coming in daily that probably will not deliver until next month.  
I was just commenting on the oddities of the Alabama whitetail "herd".  It is unlike anywhere else in the country and has no direct relationship to being further south than Canada.  Many northern states contributed to Alabama's restocking efforts and due to the lax northern border and the poor morals of southern deer, it is quite likely that Canadian deer cross-populated and infested the both Northern American deer and therefore the Alabama "herd".  I've heard it said that among the southern female deer population "there's no accounting for taste".   

Edited by Kickboxer - September/19/2022 at 20:39

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2022 at 05:39
Obviously Trump’s fault!
God save the Empire!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2022 at 21:04
I lost my place.....

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2022 at 16:11
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Obviously Trump’s fault!
OH... without a doubt, Donald J. Trump is the instigator... he both depleted the population and reestablished it... It matters NOT that he was not even born yet...just the very possibility of his existence created an alternate timeline that allowed all this to occur.  
BTW... this is one of the twin new fawns that just started coming around to feed... the other fawn was shy and stayed away from the camera... I expect more to start coming in soon.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2022 at 16:11
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

I lost my place.....

Read it again...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2022 at 10:23
New set of twins...

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2022 at 11:38
Good work mama!
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2022 at 21:14
as far as I can tell from live vis and cameras, there are no more pregnant does... they have all delivered, as far as I can tell.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2023 at 08:03
A doe came with her baby yesterday... the baby was very "new"... 

Expecting to see a few more in the next couple of weeks...

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2023 at 15:22
Good eatin'!

Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2023 at 15:26
Just kidding...We have 'feral cats'; in other words....CATS!....that hang around....one just had babies and one is pregnant...I feed the bastards even though the Apartment People have ABOLISHED feeding the poor cats....

.....but I'm sneaky....

Visit the Ed Show
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2023 at 16:57
I’m glad that momma and baby are in your neck of the woods Dan.  Up here a fawn that small would most likely not make it through the winter.
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic