OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.270 scope help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .270 scope help
    Posted: August/08/2022 at 21:01
I’m trying to help out my kid a little. He purchased a Browning X-bolt in .270 Winchester for deer/antelope hunting in western Nebraska. He wants to set it up for shooting out to 400 yds. From a little research we feel we can get a point blank zero set up for an 8” target and not have to do anything more than hold on the target out to 300. So he doesn’t need much of a bdc reticle.
What would be your suggestions in the 4-12x range and around 40mm objective in the under $500 range.
Thanks
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2022 at 11:40
I always sighted in my 270 (for that matter---everything) to shoot three inches high at a hundred.

So with that you would have a point-blank range of about 275 yards. You'd need to hold a little low for animals at 100 yards...at 200 yards you'd be shooting about 4 inches high so again you would need to hold a little low...but the bullet would be approx Zero at 275...and a few inches low at 400...

You'd have to shoot at some targets at all those ranges to verify where you're shooting.

I never bothered with BDCs....although I know that it seems like everyone these days are dialing up and down....and that works too.

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2022 at 15:32
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

I’m trying to help out my kid a little. He purchased a Browning X-bolt in .270 Winchester for deer/antelope hunting in western Nebraska. He wants to set it up for shooting out to 400 yds. From a little research we feel we can get a point blank zero set up for an 8” target and not have to do anything more than hold on the target out to 300. So he doesn’t need much of a bdc reticle.
What would be your suggestions in the 4-12x range and around 40mm objective in the under $500 range.
Thanks
Check out Arken Optics SH4 Gen 2 4-16x50... worth a look.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2022 at 18:59
I used to work the oilfield out in Western Nebraska. Harrison....and I knew some folks in Wyoming who had a tiny, teeny ranch over in McCook....(a paltry 6,000 acres) and I was over there on that ranch....I liked Nebraska....I got stuck in a big snowdrift once out there on the way to a drilling rig and some nice feller pulled me out.....

Visit the Ed Show
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2022 at 21:09
Haven’t been to Harrison yet, but we were close about a month ago. Went out to see the boy and stopped at Fort Robinson before heading up to Deadwood.
Not much out there……
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2022 at 07:43
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

Haven’t been to Harrison yet, but we were close about a month ago. Went out to see the boy and stopped at Fort Robinson before heading up to Deadwood.
Not much out there……

I love it out there. I've been to Fort Robinson and Chadron...and all around. It's like Eastern Wyoming.
Visit the Ed Show
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2022 at 09:35

They have a 4-12x40 or 50 with a number of reticles
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 09:10
Have a new (mounted but never used, zero rounds fired) Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 duplex reticle.  Have box, sunshade and all papers.  Made in Philippines not China.  PM me if you're interested.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 12:16
George Burns

"Eduardo has been to El Dorado, Arkansas, too..."

Visit the Ed Show
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 14:18
Eduardo gets around!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 16:38
I've even been to Stamp! I got a u-joint changed out there!     Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 16:41
University of the Ozarks - Wikipedia

I even know a couple of hotties who went to the University of the Ozarks!

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 16:43
But magshooter doesn't know Johnny Ponder from El Dorado!  He was a terrific toolpusher!  

Visit the Ed Show
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:15
I knew Billy Ponder.  Any relation?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:22
Good luck to the op, hope he got some answers to what he was looking for.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:50
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

I knew Billy Ponder.  Any relation?

probably!!

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:52
Quotes About Gracie George Burns. QuotesGram

"I guess Magshooter and Eduardo ought to get a room..."

The Dismal Swamp - The Optics Talk Forums - Page 676

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 11:52
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Good luck to the op, hope he got some answers to what he was looking for.

Quotes About Gracie George Burns. QuotesGram

Visit the Ed Show
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 17:57
I would like to know how the Athlon, Leupold and Vortex scopes mentioned compare. There are so many players in the rifle scope market it is hard these days.
Doug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2022 at 16:19
Well, since you are looking for a hunting scope in the $500 range and you plan to essentially stay within the MPBR, you really do not need FFP or exposed turrets.  On the other hand, they do not hurt either if the turrets are locking.

I would start by taking a close look at Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12x42.  I have one here and rather like it.  It is also a fairly feature rich scope, so if your son wants to do more complicated things (from a shooting standpoint) later he can.

Other options: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44, Meopta Optika5 3-15x44, Meopta Seosport 3-15x50 (this one is a 50mm objective, so it is a touch bigger).

If you want a Japanese made scope, Trijicon Huron 3-12x40 should right around your price range.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic