OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.270 scope help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .270 scope help
    Posted: April/24/2023 at 23:00
 08/August/2022  good chance he picked a scope by now.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2023 at 14:27
Johnny Takes a Sip of Dean Martins Drink | Carson Tonight Show - YouTube

"But Eduardo DID HAVE four 270s....so he knows what he's talking about...."

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2023 at 14:24
Jonathan Winters on the Tonight Show - 1988 - YouTube

"He should be Burned At The Stake!"

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2023 at 14:22
Eduardo likes to keep the scopes LIGHTER than the rifle.....But he's a Dinosaur...

(Eduardo actually used IRON SIGHTS until he was almost sixty!)

He should be BANNED from Facebook!

Visit the Ed Show
Theduracellbigd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theduracellbigd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2023 at 12:00
The VX3 Leupold3.5x10 is hard to beat all things considered especially weight and eye relief which is important for a hunting scope.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2023 at 12:29
35 ounces?! Good grief. I feel like riflescopes are going through a phase like jeans in the 1970s; bell bottoms everywhere.

jhopson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhopson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2023 at 00:55
Check here at to get a suggestion for the best scope choice for 270.
Hope will be helpful for you.
jhopson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhopson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2023 at 09:50
I personally like Vortex Optics Crossfire II scope for long range, I've used Crossfire II  the last 5 years and it suits me the best. If you understand the environmental changes while shooting I can make my adjustments with the turret and still hold right on and be confident.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2022 at 16:23
I carry mine around all the time...works fine for me.  It is heavier than the "light weights", but not excessively, my opinion.  As with all things related to people... differences... I like the turrets, and while locking turrets are a nice to have (and I do have them on a number of scopes), I've never once had a turret move during any activity... maybe some day, not yet.  The scope I have the most concern for is my Springfield Armory Gen III 6-20...lightest touch turrets I've ever seen... care is required.   I've never been particularly easy on a carry about rifle, but have a constant awareness of the things that can "hurt" its capabilities.  
As I said... every recommendation you made is quite acceptable, but if cost is a primary driver, the SH4 is a good option and leaves some change for rings or mount... there are always trades in a cost vs performance vs convenience evaluation.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2022 at 20:37
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

If don't want to spend all your budget(or more), yet expect an excellent all around scope, and want to find additional info outside of my review on this forum of the PRE-sale Arken Optics scope, I suggest you read Lowlight's (snipershide)review of the Arken Optics Gen 2.  Mine is a prerelease SH4... it had a design/manufacturing flaw that was NOT a showstopper... once I found the mounting "sweet spot" it has been a superior performer, far better than price would indicate.  Does not mean that any of the other scopes mentioned are not adequate or better for what I read of your intended use... but the Arken Optics price is exceptional in comparison to MANY options with only similar capabilities.  I certainly have no qualms with any of the proposed/suggested scopes... they are all "good".

I have the SH4 Gen2 4-16x50 and while it it is a pretty nice scope, especially given the price, it would not be anywhere near the top of my list for the OP's application.

For starters, it is 35 ounces.  That's excessive for a MPBR rifle.
Then there are the turrets. They are nice turrets, but they are large and they do not lock.   It is not ideal for carrying around.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2022 at 18:00
If don't want to spend all your budget(or more), yet expect an excellent all around scope, and want to find additional info outside of my review on this forum of the PRE-sale Arken Optics scope, I suggest you read Lowlight's (snipershide)review of the Arken Optics Gen 2.  Mine is a prerelease SH4... it had a design/manufacturing flaw that was NOT a showstopper... once I found the mounting "sweet spot" it has been a superior performer, far better than price would indicate.  Does not mean that any of the other scopes mentioned are not adequate or better for what I read of your intended use... but the Arken Optics price is exceptional in comparison to MANY options with only similar capabilities.  I certainly have no qualms with any of the proposed/suggested scopes... they are all "good".
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2022 at 16:19
Well, since you are looking for a hunting scope in the $500 range and you plan to essentially stay within the MPBR, you really do not need FFP or exposed turrets.  On the other hand, they do not hurt either if the turrets are locking.

I would start by taking a close look at Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12x42.  I have one here and rather like it.  It is also a fairly feature rich scope, so if your son wants to do more complicated things (from a shooting standpoint) later he can.

Other options: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44, Meopta Optika5 3-15x44, Meopta Seosport 3-15x50 (this one is a 50mm objective, so it is a touch bigger).

If you want a Japanese made scope, Trijicon Huron 3-12x40 should right around your price range.

ILya

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 17:57
I would like to know how the Athlon, Leupold and Vortex scopes mentioned compare. There are so many players in the rifle scope market it is hard these days.
Doug
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 11:52
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Good luck to the op, hope he got some answers to what he was looking for.

Quotes About Gracie George Burns. QuotesGram

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:52
Quotes About Gracie George Burns. QuotesGram

"I guess Magshooter and Eduardo ought to get a room..."

The Dismal Swamp - The Optics Talk Forums - Page 676

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:50
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

I knew Billy Ponder.  Any relation?

probably!!

Visit the Ed Show
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:22
Good luck to the op, hope he got some answers to what he was looking for.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2022 at 08:15
I knew Billy Ponder.  Any relation?
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 16:43
But magshooter doesn't know Johnny Ponder from El Dorado!  He was a terrific toolpusher!  

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2022 at 16:41
University of the Ozarks - Wikipedia

I even know a couple of hotties who went to the University of the Ozarks!

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic