OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ultralight scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultralight scopes
    Posted: July/23/2022 at 06:33
Optically, Swaro is probably your best bet.  However, Accupoint definitely gets the nod for reticle visibility.

ILya
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 09:39
Take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40. Around 13 ounces. In my opinion the best low light reticle in the game. Glass is pretty good and will fall in between the Leupold and Swarovski. You can get one for 6ish. 
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 18:01
I have personal experience with 3 of the scopes on your list. The 36mm Swarovski is the clear winner for a light hunting rifle. Get whichever model has the simplest boldest reticle. 

JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 16:39
Ultralight means something different to everyone, it seems.  Some people think anything under 20 oz is ultralight.  To me, ultralight is under 14 oz.  That being said, I am in the market for yet another scope for a rifle that I am trying to make as light as possible.  Its proving difficult to find any light weight scopes.  Seems like hunters are low on the scope manufacturers priority list.  I have come up with a list of scopes that meet my specifications

1. swaro Z3 3-9x36 - 12 oz
2. swaro Z3 3-10x42 - 12.7 oz
3. leupold vx3HD 2.5-8x36 - 11.9 oz
4. swfa 2.5-10x32 - 9.5 oz

Right now, I am leaning toward one of the swaros.  Are there any other quality variable ultralight scopes that I am missing?  I am not interested in a fixed power scope.  The shooting distances will literally be the end of the rifle barrel to 200 yds so 3x is the highest power on the low end of magnification.  Its for hunting so it needs the best light transmission I can afford. I also want at least 32mm Obj.  No need for for exposed turrets or fancy reticles.  This will be a set it and forget it scope.

Swaros - complete confidence they will meet my requirements.  Just don't know that I need to spend that much money to get what I need.  Wanting to know if there is anything else out there for consideration.

vx3HD - I am curious if the glass is any better or did they just raise the price because of new bells and whistles that I don't care about?

swfa - Are they even in the same class as the others?  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic