OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Once In A Lifetime Shot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 06:26
Yes, I have used the Burris 3-12 LER scope.  In fact, at one time I have owned every variable they ever produced.  I would always get it with the Ballistic Plex reticle and add target turrets to get as much distance capability out of it as possible.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 06:29
A well built bolt action specialty pistol will rival/equal rifle accuracy.
Where it lacks is drop and drift, since it is is going slower (All other things being equal)

Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

6.5x47L With 130's at 673 yards
https://youtu.be/M2BVVq4H7Yc

THAT is some impressive shooting. I’d be hard pressed to match that with my 6.5X47 rifle.
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 06:32
Some more about the Kauger Arms Black Widow in 6.5x47 Lapua that I posted here several years ago:
http://www.opticstalk.com/topic46275.html

Some more videos:

https://youtu.be/yHD-MWaFpto

https://youtu.be/6J9I7C_q30g

https://youtu.be/-pOttxKLSwE

https://youtu.be/uB05y7YeCRA
Ernie

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 14:02
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

My 15" Kauger Arms Black Widow 6.5x47 Lapua:
130 ELD-M 35.3 grains of Varget = 2532 fps
123 A-Max = 2514 fps
140 Nosler RDF = 2350 fps

Went to the range this morning. It was still and hot. It seems that the faster burning 8208 is more efficient in my short barrel but it’s also less accurate. Just changing from a 123 scenar to a 130 MatchKing seems to have reduced the muzzle blast by a good bit. I also tightened my neck tension by .001 by using a .287 bushing instead of a .288. Not sure if that actually helped or not. 

I built 4 loads of 5 rounds each. All are 130 MatchKings with GM205M primers. 27.10 C.O.L. That’s .015 jump in my barrel.

1. 33.0 grns IMR8208
2. 34.0 grns IMR8208
3. 34.0 grns Varget 
4. 35.0 grns Varget 

All my shots were at 100 yards.
I used my shooting buddies chrono so velocity should be accurate. 

1. 2343 fps 3” 
2. 2411 fps 3”
3. 2283 fps 2”
4. 2335 fps 2.5”

These heavier bullets lost more velocity than I thought they would’ve compared to the 123s. I don’t shoot my TCs beyond 300 yards so I’m not chasing speed anyway. 

Accuracy wise, Varget is the gold standard in 6.5X47 and apparently barrel length doesn’t change that. In a rifle length barrel it also gives considerably more velocity than 8208 does. This isn’t something I would’ve spent money on to test but I use IM8208 in my 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel ARs anyway so I already had some on hand to experiment with. 

Just another random thought. Firearms with short fat barrels have wide accuracy nodes. .2 grain difference in powder charge can turn your sporter weight hunting rifle from a tack driver into something that shoots shotgun patterns. That isn’t the case with a short bull barrel. Along with that, if your skills limit you to shooting 1 1/2 moa groups, it isn’t really possible to find an absolutely perfect load for said firearm. The best you can do is build a load that performs as well as you do. It probably performs even better than that but it’s impossible to tell because you, yourself are the weak link. Ernie doesn’t have that problem but I do. Even so, I’m content with my 2” groups for the time being.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 14:12
If the load works for you, that is good.
FWIW-I have bad days shooting too.
Ernie

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 15:03
I may get one of those 3-12 Burris scopes and see if that helps. I know you use rifle scopes but for a handgun scope did you like yours? That wasn’t a particularly bad day for me. It was pretty average. With my Contender and .204 Ruger barrel I can shoot a bit better, but not considerably or consistently. Today in the heat, the mirage was particularly bad but my limitations are mostly me. I can see my crosshairs wandering around my target when I squeeze the trigger. I only shoot those TCs two or three times a year. I can’t complain about my marksmanship when I don’t put in the time or effort.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2022 at 16:12
They work good but the FOV is small, since it is a LER

Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

I may get one of those 3-12 Burris scopes and see if that helps. I know you use rifle scopes but for a handgun scope did you like yours? That wasn’t a particularly bad day for me. It was pretty average. With my Contender and .204 Ruger barrel I can shoot a bit better, but not considerably or consistently. Today in the heat, the mirage was particularly bad but my limitations are mostly me. I can see my crosshairs wandering around my target when I squeeze the trigger. I only shoot those TCs two or three times a year. I can’t complain about my marksmanship when I don’t put in the time or effort.
Ernie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic