OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Once In A Lifetime Shot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Once In A Lifetime Shot
    Posted: July/02/2022 at 07:32
The Wednesday after Father's Day, there were seven of us out trying to shoot a prairie dog past 1K with specialty pistols. Steve Hugel (My longtime hunting buddy from Pueblo) and I spotted for four plus hours. There were others who would shoot for awhile, and then turn around and spot as well.

Jeremy had 2 kills over 1100 yards, with the one that stayed topside at 1126 yards, shooting his BCG 6mm Creedmoor Alpine clone XP-100, using a NF scope. After all of us were done shooting and we were out taking pictures, Jeremy grabbed the wrong 6 Creed XP. He has two of them so the one in the pictures is the wrong gun. He didn't realize what he did, till they had been on the road for four hours.

The Correct XP!

Jeff took one at 1025 yards with his center-grip XP-100 chambered in 25 Creedmoor, using a Sightron S-III 6-24, with 135 grain Berger's.

Glenn hit one at 1161 yards with his BCG center-grip XP-100 in 22 Creedmoor (Sightron S-III 6-24), using the 88 grain Hornady ELD-M. I watched the bullet hit the dog, but it went into its hole. Later on, we found blood, but it went deep enough down, we couldn't see it. Before we got everything loaded up, Steve challenged me to kill a prairie dog over a grand in 10 shots or less. He said he would buy my lunch if I could get it done. The conditions were good, so I started pulling stuff out of the Yukon. Now I had a decision to make. I had three 22 centerfire specialty pistols with me. A H-S Precision HSP, 15" center-grip 1-7T, with their H-Brake chambered in 223 Remington, shooting 77 grain TMK's (2675 fps), with a Rockwell stock, and a Burris XTR-II 3-15 scope. Steve had been shooting the H-S Precision pistol for the past couple of days. I also had two 22GT specialty pistols that Peter Angelos of Omega Precision Firearms here in Gillette, put together for me. One is a center-grip XP-100, with a 15.9" Hart HV 1-7 twist barrel, with Holland Radial Baffle brake. It has a McMillan stock, and a Leupold Mark V 3.6-18x44 scope. Alpha brass, RL 26, Hornady 88 grain ELD-M at 2886 fps. The one I decided to shoot is a rear grip set-up using a Kauger Arms PRS action, 18" 1-7 twist barrel,Trigger Tech trigger with an MDT chassis. I have the Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50mm with the SCR MOA Reticle.

I had shot the Kauger Arms rear-grip two days earlier for fun, so I chose it. I found a dog, and ranged him at 1004 yards, dialed up 22.5 MOA, looked at the conditions, and felt the wind, and dialed left 1.25 MOA. Steve had not had time to get on his Kowa Big Eyes yet, as I guess he thought it would take a shot or two to get dialed in or he was just trying to locate where I was going to shoot. I believe Jeremy's dad, Leo and Jeff or maybe Jim was on spotting scopes. I can spot my own shots with this rear-grip, so I wasn't worried about someone needing to spot for me. I hit him in the head on the first shot cold bore. I doubt I will ever be able to hit that small of a target at just over a grand again on the first shot with that many witnesses. Steve couldn't believe it, and since he hadn't got on the dog yet, he didn't get to witness it. At first, he thought I was teasing him, so I told him to look through my scope, and he saw for himself the small dead prairie dog topside. Then it rang out, "there is another dog right beside him!" I got back on the gun, since I had 9 more rounds to use, and proceeded with the more typical kind of shooting for this distance on a very small target (just right, just left, just over, etc..). Both of these prairie dogs were yearlings or extremely small for their age, and not the Boone and Crockett level you would prefer for this type of distance. On the 9th shot I took out the second one. Another unique thing is we had a group of vultures gather around the two dogs. After about 10-15 minutes, a bald eagle came down and cleared them out and took the second dog away-LUNCH!
It was my day to look good. Steve was spotting for me with his Big Eyes for the second pd, and that made everything sweeter, as Steve had been my spotter when the two of us committed to LR dogs back almost 20 years ago when we made our first endeavor of 1K+ to one mile plus pd shooting. I do recognize that my cold bore shot was probably once in a lifetime. I also understand the good fortune I had for those nine shots. For a reality check, Glenn and I went out again the following week for several hours, as I wanted to kill one with my center-grip 15" 223 Remington HSP. In the course of the morning, I fired 92 rounds, and hit one at 1058 yards. Another prairie dog ended up dragging him down a hole-Grrr!

Back to our original morning, I asked if anyone wanted to shoot the Kauger 22GT rear-grip, and Jim said he would like to shoot it. He killed a prairie dog beyond a 1/4 mile with it in 5 shots if I remember right-It sure shoots good! We were shooting off Glenn's portable bench. Good times with good friends. Lunch at Los Compadres was very tasty!
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2022 at 11:07
Excellent Ernie, that’s a class of shooting I could only dream of!

B&C prairie dogs is a new one for me LOL!
God save the Empire!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2022 at 14:42
👍👍👍🎂
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2022 at 17:35
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Excellent Ernie, that’s a class of shooting I could only dream of!

B&C prairie dogs is a new one for me LOL!

Thanks.
It is a phrase I have been using for prairie dogs for awhile.
I also use that term when intentionally hunting for uncommon doe antelope (horned doe).  We are always looking for the biggest horns.  It makes it fun, and more of a challenge.

Head this way next June, and I will put a specialty pistol in your hands that is ready to go for distance...You will have to pay for your ammunition thoughBandito

Ernie

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2022 at 21:17
Great read. Always enjoy hearing your exploits with those long range hand cannons. I’m actually reloading some 6.5X47s for my Encore pistol now. Going to try IMR8208. I get massive fireballs with Varget out of that short barrel so maybe the faster burning 8208 will be a little more user friendly.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2022 at 00:32
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Great read. Always enjoy hearing your exploits with those long range hand cannons. I’m actually reloading some 6.5X47s for my Encore pistol now. Going to try IMR8208. I get massive fireballs with Varget out of that short barrel so maybe the faster burning 8208 will be a little more user friendly.

Does your Encore have a brake?
If so, what kind?
Ernie

Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2022 at 02:20
Nice shooting!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2022 at 10:11
Thanks!
Ernie

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2022 at 13:50
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

If so, what kind?

This is a custom Match Grade Machine barrel, the brake is machined into it. I have 12.25” of barrel from the breech to the beginning of the brake. What I’m doing now is sort of an experiment. My original load was fine and I expect muzzle blast from a rifle cartridge fired from a pistol length barrel. Here’s my thoughts and they could definitely be in error.  Varget, with a 123 grain bullet, Lapua Scenar, may not be optimal in my barrel. I’m wondering if my the bullet is at the brake or even exiting the barrel before the pressure completely spikes. In other words, maybe it’s still burning as it leaves the muzzle. The load I’m trying is from the Hodgdon website using a 130 grain Sierra MK and IMR8208XBR. It shows less velocity than Varget, but that’s out of a long barrel. Im hoping it’s more efficient out of mine. I was also thinking about using a magnum primer but decided I’d stick with a regular. 
   I admire your skills Ernie, but 300 yard shots with a pistol are challenging enough for me. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, or anyone else’s for that matter.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 06:02

If so, what kind?

This is a custom Match Grade Machine barrel, the brake is machined into it. I have 12.25” of barrel from the breech to the beginning of the brake. What I’m doing now is sort of an experiment. My original load was fine and I expect muzzle blast from a rifle cartridge fired from a pistol length barrel. Here’s my thoughts and they could definitely be in error.  Varget, with a 123 grain bullet, Lapua Scenar, may not be optimal in my barrel. I’m wondering if my the bullet is at the brake or even exiting the barrel before the pressure completely spikes. In other words, maybe it’s still burning as it leaves the muzzle. The load I’m trying is from the Hodgdon website using a 130 grain Sierra MK and IMR8208XBR. It shows less velocity than Varget, but that’s out of a long barrel. I'm hoping it’s more efficient out of mine. I was also thinking about using a magnum primer but decided I’d stick with a regular. 
   I admire your skills Ernie, but 300 yard shots with a pistol are challenging enough for me. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, or anyone else’s for that matter.

I run 130's and 140's through my 15" Kauger Arms Black Widow.  I did run 123 A-Max's through my 6.5x47 Lapua MOA Maximum back  in the day though.  I used Varget for all of the above.
A Encore or Contender is going to be harder to shoot accurately compared to a bolt specialty pistol in general.
I have never had that chambering with that short of a barrel, so you may have something there.  Nothing wrong with trying a Magnum primer, as long as you reduce your load when doing so, to make sure you stay in a safe zone.
I sure don't see a negative in experimenting, unless you are real low on components. 
Trigger time is always good.  When I went to a rifle scope it made everything easier as well.
I think if you had a opportunity to shoot a different set-up you would be surprised how easy it is to shoot further distances.
Every year at WY-SHOT we help remove the intimidation's that new handgun shooters have concerning their ability to shoot much further than they have done before.
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 06:02
Do you have a chronograph to compare things?
Ernie

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 10:35

Do you have a chronograph to compare things?

I do. My velocity with 36.0 grains of Varget and a 123 Lapua Scenar is 2620. That’s considerably slower than my 6.5X47 rifle gets but that’s expected. 

Sorry about high jacking your post btw. I’ll start a new one and post the velocity of this new load. Might be a few days. Early morning Is the only time to to go to range in July here in Texas. 
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 10:41
By all means, keep it on THIS thread.
You are not hijacking anything as far as I am concerned
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 11:46
My 15" Kauger Arms Black Widow 6.5x47 Lapua:
130 ELD-M 35.3 grains of Varget = 2532 fps
123 A-Max = 2514 fps
140 Nosler RDF = 2350 fps
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 11:54
6.5x47L With 130's at 673 yards
https://youtu.be/M2BVVq4H7Yc
Ernie

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 20:25

Every year at WY-SHOT we help remove the intimidation's that new handgun shooters have concerning their ability to shoot much further than they have done before.
So you have new shooters at this event? How does one get started?

Great shooting BTW!!
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 20:36
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

So you have new shooters at this event? How does one get started?
Great shooting BTW!! 

Some info: https://sebrests-usa.com/wy-shot/
Send me a PM and will give you my cell, and we can visit.
ernieemily@yahoo.com or you can contact me through my website

Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 20:38
We have new shooter's every year.
I am usually working with the new shooter's myself (I put the folks with me typically), and I also have loaner XP's that are ready to for distance.  You would need to pay for the ammunition you shoot though
Ernie

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 23:08

My 15" Kauger Arms Black Widow 6.5x47 Lapua:
130 ELD-M 35.3 grains of Varget = 2532 fps
123 A-Max = 2514 fps
140 Nosler RDF = 2350 fps

Don’t put too much faith in my chrono numbers. I use it to determine deviation and/or consistency more than to find an actual velocity. It’s an old and inexpensive unit that’s been rained on and has spent weeks at a time sitting in a hot truck during the summer. It continues to work for what I use it for but it seldom agrees with other peoples chronograph’s I’ve shot over. 

I know you use rifle scopes on your pistols. Have you ever used a Burris 3-12 handgun scope? 
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2022 at 23:11

6.5x47L With 130's at 673 yards
https://youtu.be/M2BVVq4H7Yc

THAT is some impressive shooting. I’d be hard pressed to match that with my 6.5X47 rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic