OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

low mag suggestions sought for match use

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac4wordplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: low mag suggestions sought for match use
    Posted: October/18/2006 at 13:15
I'm a new member, so if this (or something remotely similar) has been covered recently please forgive me and point me in the right direction. I've used the "search" feature and have found http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4578&KW=lo w+power to be helpful, but haven't found (or have over-looked) anything else pertinent. I'm looking for low magnification scope recomendations. Unfortunately I can't afford to be an optics connoiseur, and as much as I would like a (IOR, S&B, USO, NXS, etc.) they are out of the question. I expect to stay under ~ $200, and to date am considering:

Burris FFII 1.75-5 (yes, recently discontinued, but can be found)
Weaver V3
(your recommendation here)

The optic will be used on my competition AR at multi-gun and practical rifle matches (year -'round, all weather). I currently use a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5 and find the optical clarity (and $$ value) acceptable. Why replace it? Because I purchased it sight unseen, prior to the heavy "Firefly" marketing and expected a standard duplex; I've made due with the heavy post "Firefly" for a while now (it's not bad - I'll use it for an upcoming night match) but would generally prefer a standard duplex (Bushnell doesn't seem to offer this model). I'd prefer not to consider scopes of lesser (relative to the Elite 3200) optical quality.

Thanks for your help,

ac
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2006 at 15:55
I've played with V3 quite a bit.  It is an excellent little scope with a true 1x on the bottom end.

Optically, it is on par with Elite 3200.

FFII is a little better and is, IMO, a bit more versatile due to a 5x top end.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2006 at 17:33

A tactical scope will be nice for competition, how about a burris tactical.

ac4wordplay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac4wordplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2006 at 19:08
Thank you both for your thoughts. Not having much experience with different optics, and NO experience with either Weaver or Burris, I appreciate your recommendations. I too was leaning toward the FFII as it's not at a disadvantage to a "true 1x" at most of the matches that I participate in, and the 4-5 magnification helps (my eyes) on the farther, smaller targets.

ac
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2006 at 12:44

[QUOTE=ac4wordplay]Thank you both for your thoughts. Not having much experience with different optics, and NO experience with either Weaver or Burris, I appreciate your recommendations. I too was leaning toward the FFII as it's not at a disadvantage to a "true 1x" at most of the matches that I participate in, and the 4-5 magnification helps (my eyes) on the farther, smaller targets.

Very good, post a pic of the FFII TAC when you get it all set up.

Trinidad

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac4wordplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 00:32
Any idea if the FFII 1.75-5 is a "true" 1.75? Is the 2-7 a "true" 2? I couldn't find the info at Burris.com, but maybe I overlooked it. TIA.

Yes, I will post pics when I get it mounted (ETA: end of next week?).

ac
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:38
Item 6545 Trijicon TriPower    $379.95   on Samplelist.

I know its over the price range but I thought this would make a nice optic for your AR, (I wouldnt mind having one).

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 11:48

I am not shure about the actual magnification of the FFII but I am looking foreward to your pics.

I would call Burris,they have helped me out in the past with good service.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac4wordplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2006 at 18:32
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Item 6545 Trijicon TriPower    $379.95   on Samplelist.

I know its over the price range but I thought this would make a nice optic for your AR, (I wouldnt mind having one).

I would like to play with one, but...

a) it's not in my budget;

b) although it isn't a scope (telescopic lens), it is an optic, and as such bumps one OUT of "iron sights" classification, and I'm usually not good enough to beat (good) shooters who have scopes (when I'm stuck without one - unless I'm using an Eotech );

c) if I WERE to get a non-magnifying optic I would choose an Eotech 512 as I've used them (and seen them used VERY effectively) in competition and know they are FAST! Because the dot is 1 moa they are quite competitive unless the targets are small and/or distant.

The TriPower has the advantage (over the Eotech) of not being useless when the battery dies, but I know that an Eotech can (and should!) be set up to co-witness with BUIS in case of malfunction/battery failure (I'm not sure that one can do this with the TriPower).

Anyway... Thanks for the thought; I'd love one, but it'd have to be under $250 (maybe closer to $175 - and I don't expect THAT to happen!) for me to move on one with my current budget - there are too many decent optics available at very competitive prices.

ac
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac4wordplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 14:12
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

I am not shure about the actual magnification of the FFII but I am looking foreward to your pics.

I would call Burris,they have helped me out in the past with good service.

SVD:

I just got off the phone with Burris customer service; unfortunately the gentleman I spoke with wasn't of assistance and merely said that true magnification was "very close" to advertised magnification. I asked about both the 1.75-5 and the 2-7. He wouldn't even commit to it being a difference of less than .5x, yet he repeatedly stated that it was "very close". I asked if someone else might have the information and he replied "no, we don't test for that". Seems odd. I find myself a bit disappointed.

More soon.

ac
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 14:21

Here you go I found it for you. Check out the post in the riflescope section Zeiss MC 3-12x56 where I talk about customer service.

Specs:

http://www.dowdlesports.com/catalog/guns/burspec.htm#full

Customer Service:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4728&PN=1& amp;TPN=2

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac4wordplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 14:42

Here you go I found it for you. Check out the post in the riflescope section Zeiss MC 3-12x56 where I talk about customer service.

Specs:

http://www.dowdlesports.com/catalog/guns/burspec.htm#full

Customer Service:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4728&PN=1& amp; amp;TPN=2

SVD:

Perfect. Thank you very much. This is one of my (admittedly petty) pet peeves:

"It's a 2-7 scope. Any difference would be 'very minor'. No, I can't define 'very minor' - but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

NO! It's a 2.5-6.8 scope. I tend to believe that a .5x difference is not insignificant (at the low end) for my intended use, and that one can tell the difference.

Again, thanks for your help - and sorry for the rant.

ac
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 16:04
Gentlemen, the 2-7x scope on the link SVD666 provided is an older Fullfield 2-7x32 scope, not the newer Fullfield II 2-7x35.  These are two completely different scopes with different optical systems (and different objective lens sizes).  You can not infer the actual magnification of Fullfield II out of that link.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac4wordplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 16:42
Koshkin:

Thank you for pointing that out. I had noticed that the information was for the Fullfield (vs. Fullfield II that I am interested in), but (not knowing anything about optical engineering) I thought that one could make a reasonable inference. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding.

Now I'm back to wondering...

ac
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 16:45

There are no specs available that I could find that actually say fullfield II with the actual magnification.

This is the best info I could find on the new Fullfield II Tactical scopes.

http://www.snipercentral.com/burris39bplex.htm

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 16:51
Since there are manufacturing tolerances involved, most makers will not publish how close they are to the stated magnnificaiton.  Even if they publish a number there will still be some spread in actual magnifications of different scopes within the produciton line.  I would not be surprised if it is within +/- 0.25 of the stated value.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 16:57

This is what I believed to be the case, thanks Koshkin for the  info.

Koshkin since the Fullfield II Tacticals are made in the USA and the

Fullfield II are made in the phillipines could this have any effect on the

tolerances?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 17:06

This is what I believed to be the case, thanks Koshkin for the  info.

Koshkin since the Fullfield II Tacticals are made in the USA and the

Fullfield II are made in the phillipines could this have any effect on the

tolerances?

This is a tough one, to be honest.  Could it have an effect? yes.  Is it necessarly worse? nope.  I hate saying this, but American factories are not typically known as paragon of consistent manufacturing.  It all depends on who is running the shop.  The location of the factory is really secondary to the way the factory is run.  If Burris pays as much attention in their Phillipines factory as they do in their American factory, I would expect the manufacturing tolerances to be similar.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 18:38

A Tactical scope has to be very reliable and when I found out that Burris decided to make the Fullfield Tacical II

in the USA I thought maybee they did not have the confidence in thier Philipine facility, after your last post I am starting to wonder if it was just marketing to use the USA made tag on the Tactical series. What are your opinions Koshkin on this move by Burris?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2006 at 18:48
To the best of my knowledge the only difference between Tactical FFIIs and normal FFIIs are the knobs and color of anodizing available on the Tacticals.  While I do not have any information to support this, I would be very surprised if the Tacticals are fully made here.  Chances are all Fullfield IIs ar emade in the same factory and Tactical ones have the knob put in her in the US.  It would make no sense for Burris to have to factories assembling FFIIs, especially since they jus twent through the effort of moving the factory making FFIIs to Phillipines.

Remember, that to legally put that made in USA or made in Japan tag, you do not have to make the whole thing here.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic