OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Scope?
    Posted: October/17/2006 at 14:36
I Have a Savage model 110 in 7mm Rem Mag and I was surprised at how good it shoots at long range. Right now it has a cheap simmons scope on it and i want to get something a little better. I
have a Super Sniper on my .308 and i thought about getting another one, but i thought I'd ask and see if anybody had some ideas.

I can spend around $450-$500 on a scope
play golf with a potato cannon! its more fun!!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 15:57
How far out are you shooting?  Big game hunting or target?

Take a good look at Bushnell Elite 4200.

ILya
huntindawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 16:28
Around where I live 600 yards is about as far as it gets. but I shoot at that range all the time with my .308, and i want to do the same with the 7mm .
I will also use it on deer and coyotes.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 17:57
That's pretty far.

Do you want to compensate for range via adjustment knobs or holdover reticle?

Elite 4200 does not come with any holdover reticles until you get into high magnificaitons scopes: 6-24x40

For your rifle I would suggest looking at Burris Signature Select 4-16x44 with Ballistic MilDot.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 19:44
im thinking about the Burris Fullfield II tactical 6.5-20x50
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 19:49
If you are willing to go with so much magnification, step up to Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40MD.

Neither scope is all that great for hunting.  In that regard, 4-16x is more versatile.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 20:04
well my .308 and .243 are my main hunting rifles, but i like a big scope on my big guns

I like both scopes but I'm a big fan of burris

I don't know much about Bushnell
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2006 at 21:58

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

If you are willing to go with so much magnification, step up to Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40MD.

Neither scope is all that great for hunting.  In that regard, 4-16x is more versatile.

ILya

I don't know...

My dad has had a 6-20x40 Leupold Vari X III  on his one and only big game rifle (a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .264 Win Mag which he has used almost exclusively since the early 1960s to kill almost every kind of big game animal on the continent including big critters like moose and grizzly bear ) for as long as I can remember.  I sure wish I had the same scope on my .264 WM.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2006 at 01:30
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

ILya

I don't know...

My dad has had a 6-20x40 Leupold Vari X III  on his one and only big game rifle (a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .264 Win Mag which he has used almost exclusively since the early 1960s to kill almost every kind of big game animal on the continent including big critters like moose and grizzly bear ) for as long as I can remember.  I sure wish I had the same scope on my .264 WM.

I did not say that it is unuseable.  I am just saying that there are better option out there.  Ask your dad how often he used magnification greater than 16x when shooting in the field.

ILya
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2006 at 16:20

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

ILya

I don't know...

I did not say that it is unuseable.  I am just saying that there are better option out there.  Ask your dad how often he used magnification greater than 16x when shooting in the field.

ILya

Actually my dad and I hunt together all the time so I can answer this question without too much difficulty:

The scope is kept on 6x when travelling around (i.e riding a horse or ATV, driving around in a truck, SUV, or Snow Cat, etc.)  He can't do much walking as his knees and ankles are all pretty well shot.   Keeping the scope on 6X allows for the fastest acquisition of a target should speed be of the essence when something desirable is spotted.  A lot of "experts" claim that a fixed 6x is all anyone needs so, even they would approve of this practice. But then, when the extra magnification is wanted, its available. In riflescopes, my dad is an absolute magnification junky - which is funny since he prefers lower magnification (7x and 8x) binoculars.

Assuming that there is enough time to get situated before taking a shot (i.e. the animal in question is not hurrying away,) he will crank the scope up to 20x for any shot over 200 yards (and most shots over 100.) Because of his inability to do much walking (making stalking almost impossible,) it is VERY rare for my dad to take a shot under 200 yards. The average distance for his shots over the last couple of decades sits at about 330 yards. I should point out here that as a young man my dad was a very successful competition rifle & pistol marksman and is absolutely the best rifleman I have personally ever met. I have watched him head-shoot deer at ranges so long I don't generally reveal the numbers for fear of being suspected of telling "fish stories."  Of course when you understand that he and his teammates competed at 600 yard ranges with iron sights - it's not so hard to believe. Because of his background, long range shooting was something that my brothers and I were exposed to from the earliest part of our marksmanship training - though I will never be able to match his abilities.

A couple of years ago I used his rifle at 20x to take a mule deer at the last few moments of legal hunting light on the last day of the hunt at a laser-measured 434 yards. I used his rifle because the gun I was carrying was brand new and all I had to shoot were inexpensive factory loads. I just wouldn't feel comfortable using that gun for such a long shot, at least not then.

There were (of course) a lot of things going in our favor that night.  To begin with, there was absolutely no wind.  Also, because he can't walk, we were in my Xterra, which allowed me to get a rock solid rest over the hood with sandbags and my dad was in the passenger seat of the vehicle with a 60x spotting scope and the laser rangefinder coaching me. Finally, the rifle in question is the same gun that my dad has used almost exclusively [he did spend one year trying to like a 7mm Rem Mag but, ended up selling it because he just couldn't warm up to it] for over 40 years. As I mentioned, he has used this same rifle to take almost every kind of game animal in North America including dangerous game like moose, and grizzly bear.  Although I have not shot his particular rifle much, I own one just like it which has been my primary hunting rifle for over a decade and which I've used to take deer, elk, and antelope thus, the rifle/load combination is one in which we had absolute confidence. Had any of these things been significantly different, I would not have attempted the shot.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to put a 20+x scope on their rifles nor that ultra high magnification is essential to long range shooting but, you'd never get my dad to give up his.  What's more, I plan on switching out my 3-10x40 for one just like his as soon as it is feasible. Keeping the scope on low power as you roam around allows for all the speed you could ever want but, when the situation warrants it, the added versatility of the higher magnification can be a true blessing.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2006 at 17:33
I guess you must hunt a lot of open country in good weather.

I would think having a low end of 4x would make more difference than a 24x high end.

ILya
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2006 at 09:52

Yeah, that's probably true.

Clear skies and mild temperatures are the long-standing hallmarks of the Rocky Mountains. (Right along with our never ending white beaches...)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic