OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Replacement Eyepieces?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Poacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Eyepieces?
    Posted: November/12/2021 at 21:48
New to the forum, I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. 

I picked up a pair of leupold BX-5's the other day from a fellow on Craigslist, and I'm having a hard time fitting them properly to my face. They only have 1 "setting" (apart from use with glasses), and it's not a good fit for my eyes. The eyepieces do screw off, but is this an industry standard size? 
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2021 at 06:01
Can't help I'm afraid, but Welcome!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2021 at 14:34
No such things as a dumb question.

I would call Leupold and see what they have to say.

Welcome to the OT!
Beaver Poacher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Poacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2021 at 15:05
Thanks for the warm welcome Big Grin
I guess, if you're both unaware of this, then it's probably not a common feature? 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2021 at 20:09
I am not clear as to having only one setting. Are you trying to set the width between the Ocular or are you trying to adjust the Diopter for your eye?
 Here is a link to the manual. This should answer your questions and explain the terminology of Binoculars.  https://www.leupold.com/media/manuals/binocular-guide.pdf

Edited by 3_tens - November/13/2021 at 20:14
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Beaver Poacher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Poacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2021 at 05:40
Hey 3_tens - I am trying to replace the eye cups. The diopter and width are fine. But the eyecups have 1 position that they lock into, and at that position they just don't fit my eye sockets correctly. For example, when I do adjust the diopter, if I have the right eyecup set a little closer to the eyepiece lens then I can see a little notch rotate around the lens, letting me know the diopter setting. If the right eyecup is locked into its one place, I cannot see this notch. 
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2021 at 07:10
Not familiar with that particular model, but most modern binoculars have 3 or 4 click settings on the eye cups so you could adjust them for eyeglasses or your liking.
I did see older binoculars from 15 or 20 years ago that had only 2 settings, all in or all out. Most Leupold binoculars were like that in the past.
There are 3 things that you could do.
1. Those eye cups are fairly standard size across the industry, both in size and thread, you may find replacements with multiple settings that may fit. 
2. Use rubber bands wrapped around eye cups to keep them set as you like.
3. Ditch that one and get something that suits you better 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic