OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Building a "do it all" .22lr and putting on iron s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Building a "do it all" .22lr and putting on iron s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a "do it all" .22lr and putting on iron s
    Posted: August/17/2021 at 04:59
Now I understand the signal messa! 😂💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2021 at 14:24
I think I once touched a price tag on an Anschutz in a store.....  
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2021 at 08:56
Once had an Anschutz 1413 model 54 super match with 28" inch heavy barrel.  It was stolen from me. Sure wish I had it back.  I think the whole competition setup cost under $200.00USD at the time.  Sure could "plink"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2021 at 06:04

Hi folks,

I'm building a bit of a Do it all .22 rimfire

Needs to do the following things.

1) Mimic some of my bigger rifles in terms of weight and feel

2) Shoot .22 lr at long range (200 and 300 yds) so needs a 20" barrel*

3) Be useable for running boar targets (so mount and swing cleanly)

4) Still work as a bunny gun

5) Have iron sights for practice

So, in meeting those criteria I decided to go with a CZ452 Varmint.

Having a 20" barrel and a bit of weight in the stock is a good combo for most of the above but it doesn't have any iron sights.

So, main issue, sighting.

Mounting a 3-12x50 Hawke with an adjustable objective was an easy choice for telescopic sight. It's got a good mag range and for target shooting at 300 the aiming mark is fairly large so no issues for targets and varmints. 

For running boar there are a couple of options. Most competitions require you to use a scope of some form but also do hunting with a red dot sight on my 9.3x62 for hunting so a flexible option of mounting a red dot is needed. I also tend to take the .22lr to the shooting cinema for a warm up with.

The logical answer seemed to be a rail and I managed to find a CZ dovetail to weaver option with 30 MOA of cant so that will help get to 300 yds. Also got helps with mounting a reflex red dot.

Iron rights were more of an issue. My 9,3x62 has a cocking piece mounted peep sight. (See picture below)

And I use it in "historics" competitions as the rifle is a bit of classic with the red dot sight removed.

So, a rear peep on the .22 lr was required. I tried to use a Skinner rear peep but this trim little sight just sits too low for the stock shape combined with my face. (Varmint stock so built for use with a varmint scope). Ended up using my NEGC weaver peep sight on top of the rail. (Better position and doesn't need me to take the rail off so perhaps winning).

(A bit too low to get eye to with Varmint Stock)

Here’s the NEGC sight in situ.

As you can see, sits rather higher and so fits better with stock.

Anyway, no front sight on the barrel. So, needed one of those. Liked the look of the Williams Shorty front ramp. Then realised it came in 4 heights, possibly for good reason. Now, here is a question. What front sight do I order? No idea how really to find out. I had asked Skinner sights what they suggested and Rob there suggested a good idea: Cable tie on the front of the barrel which you then clip to height as you shoot. When you clip have elevation you want, order the ramp and foresight combination that gives you the correct height. With some scepticism I headed to the range, cable tie foresight in place and tried it. You know, it actually works.

(Yes, it’s a bit hokey and you wouldn’t want to have to rely on it but surprisingly it wasn’t wholly unuseable either)

So, ramp and foresight combo ordered, then it will be off to the gunsmith to get it fitting.

Williams Front Ramp

More pictures to follow with more work done.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

(*) To shoot out to 200yds and beyond you need to use sub sonic ammo as .22 lr bullets when shot subsonic don't tend to do well going transonic at ~125-150yds. Also you need about 60MOA of come-up from 50 to 300 yds so the mounts do have some cant).

Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic