OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Rifle and Scope? My 1st Purchase.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Rifle and Scope? My 1st Purchase.
    Posted: October/14/2006 at 19:03

Hi,

In addition to my Pentax dillema in a previous post (btw, thanks to those that replied), I find myself in another tough yet fun dillema: What Rifle and Scope to buy?

I am 36 years old and have been using my late Father's M700 BDL .270 for years (he purchased it in the 1960's).  I'd figured it's time to soon retire that rifle and purchase my own.  This will be my first ever rifle and scope I will purchase, so I hope my research (along w/ your help) pays off.  I have 2 young boys (3 & 6) that I am hoping to pass my Dad's rifle and eventually mine unto them.  I narrowed my selection to two rifles and two scopes:

RIFLES:

- Remington Modell 700 Mountain LSS Laminated/SS in 7mm-08 Price: $650+

- Kimber Model 84M Classic Walnut/Blue in 7mm-08 Price: $950+

SCOPES:

- Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 Price: $170

- Weaver V9 Classic 3-9x38 Price: $150

What would you recommend based on your experiences?  Is spending $300+ more for a Kimber justified?  And is spending $20+ more for a Burris justified?  Please help.

P.S. My Pentax inquiry in a previous post is for my Father's rifle as his old B&L is just that, getting old.  I want to hunt his rifle a couple of more times before hanging it up.

Happy Hunting,

Sean

.41Dave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .41Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2006 at 03:01
I'd go for the Kimber if I was buying an "heirloom" rifle, but that's because I'm a sucker for blue and walnut. As for scopes, of the two choices you offered, I'd buy the Burris Fullfield II hands down. I actually did buy the Burris Fullfield II for my 12 year old daughter's deer rifle after a lot of research. The Burris is an excellent value for your money. However, If you are willing to spend up to $950 on a rifle, don't skimp on the optics. I'd recommend the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for about $400. I have one on my deer rifle, and I think it is an outstanding scope. I'm amazed at what I can see through it, especially in low light. If you can't afford the Kimber and a Zeiss Conquest, I'd recommend buying the cheaper Remington and the Conquest, despite my preference for the Kimber.
CoyoteCaller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoyoteCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2006 at 08:42

I like the idea of the Mountain rifle with a Burris 2-7 scope.  7mm-08 is PERFECT for deer and PERFECT for kids of all ages.  I have a Model 7 in that caliber with an old Burris 2-7 on it and it looks great.  Shoots great and is a dream to carry.  My Son is now taking it over.  I have loaded 110 grain hollowpoints for Coyotes.  He now has a all purpose rig for what we do. 

I just helped an old friend of mine with his selection of rifle.  He is 73 and was purchasing his first rifle.   I advised him to look at the Model 7 in 7mm-08.  He bought it and put a full sized 3-9 Bushnell 3200 on it. I like the more compact scopes for that gun but it works for him.   The now model 7 rifles have 20" barrels.  mine has a 18.5" barrel.  The Mountain rifle has a 22" barrel and the extra 2" of barrle is about the only difference between the 7 and mountain rifle anymore.  Seems like the Mountain rifle listed for a lot more than the model 7 too,  A 20' barrel is fine for the 7mm-085 cartridge and makes for an easier to handle gun if you hunt out of box blinds like we do in Texas.

I might suggest getting a compact 3-9 scope if youo shoot at a range much.  It will be easier to see your groups if you do not have a spotting scope.

hope this helps.... 

horrycohunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrycohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2006 at 11:57

I actually have both of the rifles you are thinking of buying. the only difference being that my mountain rifle is a blued model with a detachable box magazine. On top of the remington, I have a 3.5-10x44 conquest. It is probably my favorite rifle overall. This past summer I got the Kimber and put the 3-9x40 conquest on it. It seems to be a very good set up so far. You should keep in mind that the Kimber has a lot more recoil that the remington does. I guess thats something that comes with it being so light.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the mountain rifle 7mm-08/.260 or a 700 bdl/cdl in .308/.270. you can never go wrong with a statdard 700! As for a scope it all depends on what you want to spend. You would be happy with a conquest for sure. The Bushnell 4200,nikon,and leupold are all great too! IF I had to own one rifle it would be a remingtion cdl in .270 with a 3.5-10x50. all you would have to do is get the trigger lightened just a little and then you would be good to go!

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2006 at 13:53
Sounds like you've done your homework.  Personally, I'd go with the Remington in 7mm/08 and the Zeiss Conquest 3x9 earlier suggested.  That should make one heck of a deer rig and your sons would be thrilled to inherit it once that time comes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic