OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Time to upgrade Viper PST-Recommendations??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Defend_2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to upgrade Viper PST-Recommendations??
    Posted: December/03/2020 at 23:07
Been thinking about taking the next step to upgrade my first generation Vortex Viper PST.  Tonight pushed me further in that direction.

I've recently begun using my "tactical" rifle for hunting whitetails on an open pipeline, with potential shots nearing 400 yards.  For me, this rifle is a better option for ethical shots at this distance than my regular hunting rifle.  Plus it's nice to use it for something other than steel and paper.

Tonight I saw what would have been the biggest buck I ever shot, if I could have shot him.  I could see him well enough to make that determination when he was against the skyline, but I couldn't take a safe shot until he came down the hill a bit so I had a backstop.  Once he did, I still couldn't take an ethical shot, even with the illuminated reticle.  Everything became too "fuzzy" with enough magnification to shoot him at the range he was at.  Overcast evening, and right at the end of shooting hours.

So I am looking for recommendations for a significant increase in low light performance.  My immediate thought is to step up to the Gen II Razor, but there are other options around that price point.  Maybe a Leupold or I could start getting into a NightForce, but would that give me the low light improvement I'm looking for?  Don't want to go too far above this price range.

Appreciate the help.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2020 at 00:28
" Don't want to go too far above this price range."     are we talking about the cost of Viper PST? 
What do you have now the 3-15x44 or 5-20x50?  
Do you realize that in low light you can make the image brighter by dialing down the power? 
A 6x42 scope has a 7mm exit eye pupil.  That is considered bright as would by 7x with a 50mm objective or 8x with a 56mm objective.   The other factor is glass quality the better the glass the better luck you will have with it in low light. 
You have some options you could go with a higher quality glass but obviously not at the same price point. 
You could trade in the scope you have toward a more expensive scope.  

some possible scopes 

Nightforce ATACAR  and US Optics B17 would be high on my list. The March scope above can be had with a larger objective but the cost difference is unreasonable. If you really are trying to stay in that thousand dollar and under range  https://www.swfa.com/trijicon-4-16x50-accupoint-30mm-rifle-scope-9.html?___SID=U

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Defend_2A View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Defend_2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2020 at 08:17
For price point, I was referring to the price range of the GenII Razor.  $2K range, maybe a little more.
Defend_2A View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Defend_2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2020 at 08:30
I current have the first Gen Viper PST, 6-24.  I do realize image is better at lower magnification.  Looking or something that is actually usable at the end of shooting hours on the higher magnification ranges.

The PST isn't horrible, considering the price.  Just looking for something better for my aging eyes in these conditions.  I read all these stories of people supposedly shooting deer at 400 yards offhand with their lever action and open sights in the rain with a 25 mph crosswind (O.K., I'm being sarcastic!) but I am realistic about my skill level and what I'm comfortable with at those ranges.

I don't want to wound a deer and be in for a long night of tracking.  If I'm going to shoot at that range in the evening, I want all the advantage I can get for a clean ethical kill.  To me, that means using as much magnification as I can get away with.  I have nothing to prove.  I also hunt archery, and fulfill my need for a challenge there. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2020 at 09:06
March 2.5-25x50 is an excellent choice.  Superior glass, excellent mechanicals, great reticles... reasonable prices for the quality... mil/mil is a little more expensive than MOA/MOA
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Defend_2A View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Defend_2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2020 at 10:53
Should have mentioned earlier, eyebox is also important.  I've been reading the Leupold Mark 5 is a good bit less forgiving than others??

How is the March in that regard?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2020 at 13:00
Originally posted by Defend_2A Defend_2A wrote:

Should have mentioned earlier, eyebox is also important.  I've been reading the Leupold Mark 5 is a good bit less forgiving than others??

How is the March in that regard?

"Eyebox" in the 2.5-25 is excellent, much more "forgiving" than some of March's early offerings.  I have the 3-24x42, before the 3-24x50 came out and quite a bit before the 2.5-25x50 came out.   The 3-24x42  has some eyebox criticality that was resolved when the 3-24x50 came out.  I've had hands on with several 2.5-25s and have encountered NO eyebox issues with them.  Never had it at all with any of the fixed power or higher power variables.  I no longer have any real issues with the 3-24... mounting position on the rail and "addressment" have cured my issues.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic