OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Filled my two doe antelope tags 6mm-284 XP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filled my two doe antelope tags 6mm-284 XP!
    Posted: November/12/2020 at 16:37
It was a good, but busy day hunting on the last day of October. First off, I agreed to go out with one of our church members on a cow elk hunt, and he sealed the deal relatively early in the morning. After getting the cow taken care of and dropped off at the meat processor, we decided to head back to my house grab one of my XP-100’s and go antelope hunting, since we took care of the cow elk relatively quick. I didn’t have any expectations, that we would get done with the elk hunting that quick, as that Saturday was the last day of the antelope season. But hunting luck was with us, and we headed out, and I was able to fill both of my tags this afternoon, and even make it in before sunset.
Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun did this build: 6mm-284 XP-100, trued action, Dell trigger, 16” Proof Research carbon wrapped barrel, Holland’s 2-Port Radial Baffle brake (which I really like), McMillan center grip stock, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 with Holland’s ART reticle. I used the 90 grain Nosler Accu-Bond which has a muzzle velocity of 2900 fps. The first antelope was right at the 200-yard mark, slightly quartering toward us went to her front shoulder and exited behind the back shoulder. She went about 30 to 40 yards did a little hop/kick thing that they do sometimes and then went down. The second one was at 315 yards, and she was completely broadside. Because of the wind I had to put four minutes of wind into it. I double shoulder shot her and she went down at the shot. Such a sweet shooter. I had not shot this XP-100, since I was with Aaron Alexander in Ketchikan, Alaska, and the zero was spot on when I confirmed it that early afternoon on paper.

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2020 at 19:56
Thank you for the story, Ernie, and the pictures.  Congratulations on the successes.  I always enjoy your colorful descriptions of your exploits.  
Qapla' batlh je...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2020 at 03:34
Congrats!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2020 at 03:40
Absolutely great stuff...I would love to watch you shoot some stuff like a kudu or two and some gongs way out there!!!

Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2020 at 04:25
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Absolutely great stuff...I would love to watch you shoot some stuff like a kudu or two and some gongs way out there!!! 

Distance is about 350 yards with my 7mm Dakota.
If you listen good you can hear the meat report.
https://youtu.be/92K6UQ6ryuA

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2020 at 05:57
Great shooting Ernie and beautiful rig.
God save the Empire!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2020 at 15:21
Wowee!!  
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic