OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Better Low Light Bino?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better Low Light Bino?
    Posted: October/12/2006 at 15:48

Which bino would work better for low light conditions:

1. 10X 40 Zeiss Victory II, or

2. Minox HG 10 X 52 BR Asph ?

I would be using in the mountains and desert for mule deer or elk.

The weight is fairly close.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2006 at 13:09

The Minox. 

Hands down, no question about it.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2006 at 14:48
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

The Minox. 

Lucznik,

Have you tried the Minox HG series?  How do they compare to   say the Trinovid or Ultravids?

samhill79 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samhill79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 18:40
Chris once said that Minox was the best for the buck, they do have a 25 yr warranty.  The minox exit pupil is at 5.2 mm compared to the Zeiss at 4mm, so the Minox will have better light gathering abilities
Fatty and skinny went to bed, fatty rolled over and skinny was dead.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 18:54
In this comparison objective lens difference makes a huge difference.

Besides, Minox HG is an excellent bino to start with and does not give up much to the Zeiss in optical quality..

ILya
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 20:38
Originally posted by Rusty Rusty wrote:

The Minox. 

Lucznik,

Have you tried the Minox HG series?  How do they compare to   say the Trinovid or Ultravids?

Wow, I'm usually more on the ball than this.  Actually, I don't even remember responding to the original question.  Must be the Alzheimer's showing through...

In answer to your question; no, I have not tried the Minox HGs but, they have a very good reputation.  My answer was based upon the basic physics governing your question about which would be brighter.  A 10x52 has 12mm more OL than a 10x40.  In 10x it provides an EP of 5.2mm vs. 4.0mm. If the 52mm binocular was a cheap Tasco, Jason, Barska, etc., this might not mean much.  However, both binoculars in question are known to be of very high quality.  Thus that extra 12mm means a lot. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 21:03

Originally posted by Rusty Rusty wrote:

The Minox. 

Lucznik,

Wow, I'm usually more on the ball than this.  Actually, I don't even remember responding to the original question.  Must be the Alzheimer's showing through...

In answer to your question; no, I have not tried the Minox HGs but, they have a very good reputation.  My answer was based upon the basic physics governing your question about which would be brighter.  A 10x52 has 12mm more OL than a 10x40.  In 10x it provides an EP of 5.2mm vs. 4.0mm. If the 52mm binocular was a cheap Tasco, Jason, Barska, etc., this might not mean much.  However, both binoculars in question are known to be of very high quality.  Thus that extra 12mm means a lot. 

What is OL? Objective lens?

A more meaningful way is to look at the area of the objective lens.  A 52mm lens has an area 69% greater than a 40mm lens.  Area is directly proportional to the amount of light that gets to the eye.  Hence with overall comparable glass, a 10x52 will be almost 70% percent brighter.

ILya
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 23:39

Thank you, I was too tired to do the math. (I packed half an elk 4+ miles yesterday and now I'm not feeling so well today.) Yes, OL is my shorthand for objective lens. I was simply pointing out that the bigger the objective the more light that can be "transmitted" to the eye and now you have very clearly explained why this is so. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 00:56

Thank you, I was too tired to do the math. (I packed half an elk 4+ miles yesterday and now I'm not feeling so well today.) Yes, OL is my shorthand for objective lens. I was simply pointing out that the bigger the objective the more light that can be "transmitted" to the eye and now you have very clearly explained why this is so. 

You were absolutely correct.  I was just making sure I understand what you mean, correctly. 

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic