OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Scope for a AR-15 Accuracy Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Scope for a AR-15 Accuracy Build
    Posted: September/30/2020 at 23:41
I just completed a AR-15 accuracy build and now find myself trying to decide on a scope.  I plan on shooting from 100 to 300 yards routinely and up to 500 to 600 yards on occasion.  Because of this, I feel that a first focal plane scope would be my best option.  Is there any reason to pick a second focal plane over a first focal plane? Second, I need to decide on a magnification range.  After doing a little research on this forum and a couple of others, I see that you will get recommendations for upper magnification of anywhere from 10x up to 25x or so.  Is there really anyway to calculate the upper magnification needed at a certain range?  For instance, if I split the range of 10x and 25x, I come to around 18x or so.  I see that Meoptic makes a Optika6 3-18x50 that is available in a FFP.  I have never personally owned a Meoptic scope and haved looked through them only on a couple of occasions at best.  Would this scope be something that I should consider for my build?  I understand that Meoptic scopes are generally considered very good, but does anyone know if the Optika6 lives up to the reputation of the previous models?  I only ask this because of the common opinion that the Terra line doesn't live up to Zeiss's reputation.  I see that Meoptic also makes a 4.5x27 scope in the same Optika6 line, will this fit my needs or is it too much magnification?  Beside Meoptic, is there any other brands of scopes and/or magnification ranges that I should consider?  Burris Verocity and/or XTRII?  Vortex?  Bushnell?
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2020 at 02:39
There look to be some really interesting Meopta options out there.

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2020 at 08:50
If this is to be a pure range gun, the sky is the limit on upper magnification, get what you think you want.  Be aware that, at very high magnification, every heartbeat shows in the reticle, every very minor movement of shooter and gun shows in the reticle, and even the very best optics can be tricky to get behind.
I shoot everything from point-blank to beyond 1000 yards and I absolutely hate >20X optics.  I own a few and they almost never make it beyond 20X, the reticle movement and difficulty in good sight picture both distract from my shooting.  I do my best shooting at about 15X, which is more than enough to go beyond 1000 yards in field conditions, so comfortably gets anyone to 600.

On FFP vs SFP, the challenge usually becomes, at low magnification, the reticle is too small to use for much.  If it is a pure range gun, that won't be a problem for you so go with FFP.  Also, with FFP, you can make adjustments on the reticle at any magnification, which you cannot with SFP.

I haven't used Meopta in a long time, but know many think highly of them.  

Lastly, be aware that even accurate ARs are really just semi-accurate.  If you find a gun that can consistently shoot > 1 MOA out to 600, hold onto it!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2020 at 09:04
That's a good point. Since late August and end of September I've had 4 outings shooting out to 1,200 yds (never less than 1,000) and another out to 600. Doubt I've gone much above 18x. Not consciously, just where I notice the scope has finished up at the end of the day. (My scope goes up to 24x)

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2020 at 09:13
Ahhhh to have such problems....

Enjoying yourself aren't you?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chipmaker330 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chipmaker330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2020 at 09:32
Have you selected on optic yet? If not, here are some other points to consider:

What are your targets, expectations, and shooting conditions? People tend to make recommendations based on shooting disciplines that they favor, and I've been very guilty of that myself. The reality is that we all shoot differently, and need optics to match. 

Are you going to shoot for groups on paper or do load development? Will you be engaging targets at known distances? Will the rifle be bagged or shot from a bipod on a stable surface? I'd look toward higher magnifications and a finer reticle.

Will you be shooting offhand at steel targets? Will the distances vary considerably during a course of fire? Most likely a lower powered optic, probably one in the first focal plane, would be a good choice.

If you want a do-all optic, you will have to assess how the optic will be used most frequently, and begin to evaluate compromises from there.

I shoot at 24X at one mile, and 50X at 200yds on the same rifle. The difference being clarity, field of view, and the type of target. At one mile, I want to hit an 18" steel plate. At 200, I want to hit the same hole on paper to verify my handloads. It's all a matter of perspective.

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic