OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

old eyes and scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old eyes and scopes
    Posted: October/08/2006 at 14:40

I have started a conflict with someone about high quality scopes. This man is in his mid-50s and the best scope he has looked through was a Leupold VX-II. He refuses to spend more than 200 dollars on a scope, he claims it is because most scopes in that price range will generally not fail mechanically, (hold zero, crosshairs stay intact, ect.). And he says that he doesn't need any "fancy pants" scopes like mine because the glass always looks exactly the same and blurry to him, because his eyes are "old". He probably has his scope improperly focused because he is shooting his rifle at 25yds with the scope set at 9x, angrily twisting the eyepeice back and forth because he thinks that will correct the parallax. Anyway I can't argue with his "my eyes are old" comeback because I am not as old as he is. Is there anyone old out there, that has a nice scope and provide a good opinion to help me win this dispute?

And if his eyes are truly that bad should he be driving?

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2006 at 21:08

Lazer surgery can be a wonderful thing 

Some people just have "The poor mouth"  They have thier mind made up and do not want to take the risk of trying something better.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 01:43
It all depends on his eyes, to be honest.  However, if his eyes are that bad, he should not be hunting.  Here is a simple test.  Ask him to look at a target from a distance of 5 yards.  If he can see it clearly enough, move it back to 25 yards and set the scope to 5x.  He should be able to focus the scope to see the target as clearly through the scope at 25 yards as he saw it with his naked eye at 5 yards.  Leupold VX-II, while not my top choice in scopes is a pretty decent scope and should be clear and bright in any decent light.

If he can't see anything clearly at 5 yards.  Tell him to put his guns away into the safe and find a new hobby.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 03:13

"Fancy Pants Scopes".....

That's funny.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 07:22
9x at 25 yds...... shoot, I don't know if I could find the darn target!  To tell you the truth, I don't think you'll ever WIN any argument with this fine fellow.  If his eyes really are the issue, good luck convincing him to stop hunting........ I bet he's less likely to listen to that as he is to your scope advise!
take em!
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2006 at 00:13

I was able to get him to properly focus his scopes but not convince him that it is worth it for a zeiss conquest, or an IOR.

Maybe he is blessed and I am cursed, because my eyes can detect the slightest bit of difference in optical quality. for example, I can see a significant difference in the quality of the leupard rifleman and vx-1, which should be about the same.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic