OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Seeing the target

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2006 at 07:25
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

Why don't you compare a old Helia, Zeiss or Swaroski 6x42 with a brand new Leupold with 50mm lens and poor light and compare them.

I have done it, and I would never chose the Leupold for low light.

Over the years I have owned 6 different Leupolds and will not do it again.

I know it hurts your national pride that european old lenses should be better than new asian ones, but that is to often a fact.

And don't try to compare the FOW , because then you are finally deffinitaly convinced.

Regards Technika

Firstly, not sure what "FOW" is my friend. Do you mean FOV (field of view)??

Secondly, who said anything about Leupold scopes??

I'm talking high end Jap glass and coatings like whats on a Night Force or Nikon Tactical.

I'm a huge fan of Euro optics BTW.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2006 at 15:52
Originally posted by pooreyes pooreyes wrote:

I ran up on this scope Meopta Meostar R1 4-16x44 Tactical riflescope   What can you tell me about it?

Also what is a Burris MR. T Titanium Black Diamond Scope 2.5 X 10 X 50 worth?

A guy on Ebay is saying it sold for over 1800, and he is selling it for under 600.

Meostar scope have great glass and offer alot for the money, the are better than the lower end euro's for the same price.

Burris Titanium is no better than a black diamond opticly but is priced much higher, this scope is a very rare exeption in

the Burris line of a scope NOT offering more than its price tag. 

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2006 at 00:33

Hi

When comparing older scopes it's important to have them in good condition.

Time and temperature will move fat from inside the scope to it's lenses and this is limiting the quality very much.

When comparing the high end Asian stuff to the Euro scopes the problem is that they get so expensive so the second hand european scopes is often a lot less costly.

I by the way own a Nightforce 8-32x56 as well, but I am not very satisfied with it.

Likely it will be sold in the near future.

Regards Technika

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2006 at 12:55
IMO I have both scopes the Bushnell is on a REM 700 Sendero 22-250. The Leupold is on a RUGER 1 Varmiter 220 swift. For what you want to do I would not be afaird of either scope, but I would lean toward the Bushnell. My 2 cents.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
.41Dave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .41Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2006 at 07:09
Originally posted by pooreyes pooreyes wrote:

For price and clarity,  I know there are a lot of choice’s out there, but I need a scope for these poor eyes I have, I shoot a lot of shot’s at 200 yards.  I have had to pass on some shots because I just couldn’t  see the game clearly.  With the Springfield I could drill a three shoot group at 200 yards all three shoots would be touching, but I just had very bad luck with it as far as seeing at early morning and at sunset. 

IIf I understand correctly, you are looking for a scope with good low-light performance and good resolution/clarity. I also noticed you are looking at pretty high magnification scopes. IMHO, a lot of people seem to want magnification that is way beyond what they need. Higher magnification will not make a target look clearer. It will simply make a hazy target a bigger hazy target. Better glass however, WILL make that previously hazy target nice and sharp. I think you would be much better served with a quality 3-9x40 scope than one in 4.5-14 or 6.5-20. Here is my reasoning:

1) 3-9x40 is about the most popular variable size out there. for this reason, 3-9x40 scopes tend to be priced significantly lower than higher magnification scopes with comparable quality optics. That means you can get a 3-9x40 of the same quality for less money, or a better quality 3-9x40 for the same money. Just compare the price of  the Bushnell Elite 4200 in 3-9x40 vs. the same scope in 4-16x50. Same glass and coatings, but almost $200 difference in price, all for larger (thus heavier, bulkier and more recoil sensitive) lenses and magnification you will almost never have practical use for, especially in low light where the exit pupil is 3.1mm at 16x, meaning a very dim and probably useless view in low light.

2) You mentioned taking a lot of shots at 200 yards. If I asked you if you could hit a target with iron sights at 22 yards, you would probably be very insulted, (which is why I would never ask you that question) . Yet a deer 200 yards away, seen through a scope at 9x magnification presents the same sight picture as one standing 22 yards away in iron sights. So even 9x is pretty much overkill. A lowly 4x will give you an equivalent 50 yard sight picture, and amazing clarity in low light with the excellent glass in the better scope you were able to afford because you decided to skip the unnecessary expense of super-high magnification.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic