OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hello All..Dead Horse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarMoeCur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello All..Dead Horse
    Posted: October/07/2006 at 12:28

This is my first post here and before I start I would like to say thank you for all the great infomation you have taken the time to post.  I would also like to thank the host of this forum with out them I could not have found so much information on one web sight.

Ok I know this is a dead horse.  I've read his beating over and over again in other post.  So I will try not to dig him up. 

I'm in the Military so I'm on a tight budget for my deer gun.  I'm getting a Tikka T3 in 30.06.  I just moved to Souther Texas and from what the locals are telling me most of my shoots will be in the 200 to 300 yard range.  My scope choice is the Bushnell 4200 Elite in 3X9X40 flavor.  I was kicking around the Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40, but I just couldn't over look the price of the Bushnell.

OK now to my question.  I've read a few post here where someone asked if the 4200 3X9 was just a re-worked 3200.  The question was never fully answered.  I would like to know if anyone has seen a difference in the 3X9 4200s over the other 4200 models?  I'm sure it is still a fine scope.  I just would like to be 100% sure it is of the same quality of the past 4200 scoopes

Thanks again,

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 17:39

To me the differance is like looking through a dirty windshield and a clean one.  I noticed a good bit of differance between the two lines.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 18:26

First & foremost, "thank you" for your service to our country!  It's great to have you here.

With regard to you question, the Bushnell Elite 4200 is head & shoulders an upgrade over their 3200 line.  That's not to say that the 3200 is inferior but the 4200 is a very good scope for the money.  It should serve you well with 95% of shots presented to you in Texas.  The Zeiss Conquest will also work very well (and is probably a tad better optically than the 4200) but you'll need to decide whether it's worth the difference in price.  Both warranty's are pretty much identical.

Best of luck & let us know what you decide...

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 19:38

Welcome to The OT!!!

God bless you for your service!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
LarMoeCur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarMoeCur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 20:15

Thanks Ceylonc and Cheaptrick,  I'm proud to do my job.  I'm looking forword to posting more on this sight.

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2006 at 18:58
Silver, you said it was like looking through a dirty windshield compared to a clean one. Were you comparing a 3200 to a 4200 Elite or were you refering to the new 4200 Elites compared to the older 4200 Elite models? Does anyone out there have the new 3-9x40 and an original 2.5-10x40 who can compare and tell me if there is any optical difference?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2006 at 19:44
Haven't compared, but if they are the same lense quality, the 3-9 should be a hair clearer. There are less lenses in a 3X assembly than a 4X power range.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2006 at 20:15

I was reffering to the differances between the 3200 and the 4200.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 03:39
Originally posted by LarMoeCur LarMoeCur wrote:

Thanks Ceylonc and Cheaptrick,  I'm proud to do my job.  I'm looking forword to posting more on this sight.

What branch are you in, Sir??

You said Southern Texas earlier. Are you near or at Ft. Bliss??   

Theres good hunting around White Sands, as I understand it.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
LarMoeCur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarMoeCur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 09:56

I'm in the Navy and do not call me SIR!  I work for my pay check.  I'm stationed in Kingsville, but I live in Corpus Christi. 

The dove are like flys around here.  Last week I got my limit (12) in about an hour.  Deer are a little small for my taste but I'm sure the guys in the Midwest will say the same.

I lived in Toldedo, Ohio for 21 years before I joined the Navy.  I've got 16 years of service and I'm hoping to do 30 years if they'll keep me.  The deer in Ohio seem bigger but that could just be my memories being too old.

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 10:30
  to the OT!
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 12:49

Welcome to the OT, glad to have you here.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 13:16

you can't go wrong w/ the 4200's - on my 30.06 i replaced a zeiss conquest 44mm w/ a 50mm elite 4200 and never looked back.

kudos on the T3 - i just got one in a 7mm08 and it is fantastic - the trigger is phenomenal out of the box. tackdriver.

good luck and thank you for your service. 

get a #4 reticle if you don't like I.R. or firefly - it is awesome in lowlight.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic