OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Porro people, best 8 or 8.5 x 40-50?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cribboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porro people, best 8 or 8.5 x 40-50?
    Posted: October/06/2006 at 13:20

Hello all,

I have spent some time going through the previous post's on Porro's and I still have a few questions.

I am looking for the best, as in quality optics, durability, water proof, warrenty, price being the last factor.

So far I have seen the following suggested and I am hoping to compare them as apples to apples.  Please also keep in mind I would like to buy them so discontinued are not an option.

Minox BD 44 BP 8 x 44

Swift Audaborn 8.5 X44

Pentax PCF WP II 8 X 40

Any other's are welcome but please elaborate on why they are better etc. thanks,

Also how close are these porros to the top three roof's?

Thank you in advance for your help.

crib
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 17:48
Personally, although the Pentax 8x40 PCF WP II binocular is a great little porro, I don't feel that it is in the same class as the other two.
From what I have read about the Minox BD 44 BP 8x44 & the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 I think the Minox has the edge. However, reading about a binocular & looking thru them & handling them is an entirely different matter.

I think that you listed them in the right order:
1. Minox
2. Swift
3. Pentax

If you have the opportunity, you need to do a side-by-side comparison. Only you can decide, firsthand, which one you like the best. (I own two Pentax PCF WP binoculars.)

Comparing these three porros to the top three roof prism binoculars is like comparing apples to cantalopes.(melons)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 23:25
I have not looked through them side by side, but I have played with all of the above.

First of all, Pentax is not in the same league as the other two.

There are two versons of Swift avialable, ED and non-ED.  I am not sure which one you are referring to, so I'll compare both Swifts against the Minox.

Optically, Swift, Swift ED and Minox will have comparable center field resolution.  Minox has flatter field of view and will be sharper near the edges.  However, Swifts have much wider field: 430ft at 1000 yards for Swifts vs 337ft for Minox.

Minox is built like a tank and has better waterproofing.  Swifts are rated as waterproof, but there have been complaints about that.

Swift ED will be slightly more accurate with color than either non-ED Swift or Minox.

Swift ED and Minox cost about the same.  Non-ED Swift is about $140 cheaper.

If you want the absolute best glass for your money, all else be damned, Swift ED is probably the way to go.  If you use your binoculars hard, go out in bad weather and are concerned about warranty, go with Minox.

Personally, I am planning to get a pair of Minox porros.

ILya
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 01:31

I would go for a Zeiss 7x50B second hand and drop all the asian stuff if the low light capability really is important.

The 7x50B costs normally around 400-550 USD when finding them on Ebay and are of some reasons lower valued than the normal civilian roof models even though they actually are more expensive than mostly of them new.

The 7x50B does also have the advantage of being a marine binocular and thus fairly waterproof compared to mostly centerfocus binoculars.

Here is one of the ones I own, ex Swedish military, but there is plenty of military organisations trough out the world that has and are using them.

So why pay more?

And why buy less for the same money?

Regards Technika

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 08:01

Technika,

I'm glad you're here.  We need a reminder of all the good old stuff that's out there.  Thanks for all the pics.

cribboard View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cribboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2006 at 16:11

Thank you for your input it helped.  I will be getting the minox's for the optics and waterproofing.

Best Regards,

Cribboard

crib
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic