OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10mm data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10mm data
    Posted: March/14/2020 at 14:40
I’ve long been a Sig Sauer and .45 fan, so owning a P220 makes perfect sense. I’ve also got a couple of Dan Wesson 1911s. I picked up this Sig Sauer P220 Hunter a few days ago. The .45 got back from machine shop just the other day too. Had the slide milled for the Leupold DPP and had the action/trigger worked over as well. Reflex sights are a game changer btw. The pics are for comparison. It’s noticeably bigger than the .45 including half inch longer barrel. A good bit heavier as well. Not a bad thing as that reduces the recoil and this isn’t a carry pistol anyway. Reload data seems conflicting, hence my question. Hornady shows using a max load of 7.3 grains Longshot. Hodgdon lists 8.2 being a max load. Those are for 200 gr HAP and XTP bullets vs FMJ which is all Hodgdon lists. In addition I’m finding data using upwards of 13 grains of Accurate #9 giving better velocity but I’m pretty sure that’s going to be very compressed or not fit at all. I don’t have any to check.  I loaded and fired 50 as follows: Starline brass-Hornady 200 XTP-Win Lp-7.3 gr Longshot at 1.260 COL. Fed perfect and no pressure issues. I’d like something hotter. At those levels I may as well be shooting a .40. I’ll likely bump it up .2 grains at a time to reach the Hodgdon max of 8.2 unless I find something better. I also have some Montana Bullet Works 200 grain hard cast wfngc bullets I haven’t played with yet. 
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2020 at 03:15
I've only loaded .44 mag in pistol rounds but found the Hodgdon data to be good.
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2020 at 05:31
Very nice pistols ! Thunbs Up
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2020 at 09:12
I know some say hardcast are ok, but I never shoot them out of any polygonal barrels if that is what you have.
I have so many of the CorBon 180 bonded core that used to be around I have not used the dies I have had forever. But, Blue Dot is what I have around and have always liked for the .357 and also good success with the .44.
The Hornady 180 and 200 grain factory loads are more powerful than the .40, but still anemic. I expect 700 ft/lbs out of the 10mm and look forward to more from you Tejas....good luck
Doug
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2020 at 11:44
Forgot to say, NICE PISTOLS!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2020 at 12:04
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

Forgot to say, NICE PISTOLS!

Yes, very nice 
Doug
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2020 at 15:19
Very nice pistols!

Interested in your thoughts on how the 10mm shoots compared to the 45.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2020 at 23:12
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I know some say hardcast are ok, but I never shoot them out of any polygonal barrels if that is what you have.
I have so many of the CorBon 180 bonded core that used to be around I have not used the dies I have had forever. But, Blue Dot is what I have around and have always liked for the .357 and also good success with the .44.
The Hornady 180 and 200 grain factory loads are more powerful than the .40, but still anemic. I expect 700 ft/lbs out of the 10mm and look forward to more from you Tejas....good luck

Sig uses conventional land and groove rifling, at least in the P220s. I know that at least some Glocks use the rifling you spoke of.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2020 at 23:24
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Very nice pistols!

Interested in your thoughts on how the 10mm shoots compared to the 45.

Using Hornady reload data, which seems very conservative, recoil isn’t bad at all. Roughly the same as a full house .45. The Sig Sauer P220 Hunter in 10mm is significantly heavier than the P220 in .45 so it isn’t an apples to apples comparison. 

The data I used is 200 grain Hornady XTP over 7.3 grains of Longshot. That load is accurate and reliable but I think a little tame. I’m going to slowly up the powder .2 at a time to match the Hodgdon max at 8.2. That’s IF, I can’t find any Accurate #9 and so far I haven’t. 

I’ll take my Chrono when I go to the range next time and see what velocities I’m getting. 

Thanks y’all 
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2020 at 16:25
Thought I’d update this post. Finally got my hands on some Accurate #9. Using Starline brass, 200 gr. Montana Bullet Works WFNGC bullets and CCI 300 primers. 13.1 grains seems to work great. They are accurate and stout. I didn’t chrono them but will on my next trip. Sig Brass is heavier, and therefore less capacity so I’d start lower if I was using it. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2020 at 10:37
Pistols, there's two?? LoL, the picture is so large I missed the second one.

Ok..... fixed it.... very nice, like the kyrptek camo.   Thunbs Up

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic