OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

27 NOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 27 NOS
    Posted: February/19/2020 at 15:19
After the 26 and 28, everyone knew the 27 was coming.

------------------------------------

No caliber is more uniquely American than the 270. For over 90 years, American hunters have taken to the field in pursuit of nearly all the game the lower 48 states have to offer with a trusty 270 in hand. Over the decades, millions of deer, elk, sheep, bears and pronghorn have fallen to it, to grace the tables and walls of America’s hunters and add chapters to the American hunting lore. For 2020, Nosler has chosen to take the venerable 270 caliber to a new level with the introduction of the all-new 27 Nosler. Conceived as a 21st century upgrade, the 27 Nosler delivers previously unobtainable downrange ballistics by pairing the ultimate combination of case capacity with modern long-for-caliber bullets.

The result is a standard setting offering from Nosler that redefines performance as radically now as the 270 Winchester did upon its introduction in 1925. If you hunt where the game is tough, the shots are long and demanding, and there is no room for compromise, there is no better choice than the 27 Nosler.

Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2020 at 02:16
Couple of new 270 calibres at the moment.

There's that thing from Sig too.

Edited by Scrumbag - February/21/2020 at 02:31
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2020 at 08:41
As I've always asked of the .270... WHY???
I actually had a .270 once... Custom job...Shilen barrel, beautiful English Walnut stock that I did all the finish work on... I did the checkering, and a French polishing job, took me almost 3 months to get it right.  Fired 10 rounds through it, shot great... took it and traded it on several pistols and a 30-06.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2020 at 09:07
Someone needs to make a a 23 and 29.  Simply because. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2020 at 12:24
I won’t be buying one. Already have a 270 WSM. The 27 Nosler looks great on paper but you’ll go broke shooting it. Brass is 2.50 a case and Nosler is the only manufacturer. Loaded ammo is 65-70 bucks a box. I recently bought some WSM brass, 300 and 270. Norma brass is just as good as Nosler but it was out of stock in 300 WSM. Cost me over 2 bucks each for the Nosler. Winchester brass is much cheaper but the quality isn’t as good. Lapua and Peterson don’t build brass for WSM so Nosler is on my $h1t list at the moment.

Edited by tejas - February/20/2020 at 12:32
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2020 at 02:34
Norma brass is rated some of the best by European reloaders, I think Norma used to advertise it would do 10 reloadings.

I personally think it's the best there is.

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2020 at 11:16
Norma and Nosler brass MAY be the the same. I’m not sure. Both are certainly good quality. The Norma brass is a little expensive and the Nosler brass brass is outrageous. 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2020 at 11:53
when we represented Norma they were still making Nosler brass, that may not be the case any longer.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2020 at 12:00
IMO, in bolt action hunting guns, having to pay a premium for brass really is not that big of a deal if you reload.  Buy 100 of them and likely they will last you for the life of the rifle.  Yes they may cost $2+ a brass but in the long scheme of things the cost is pretty minimal. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2020 at 13:31
270 has been under rated for its potential to compete with other similar calibers mostly due to limited bullet options. In distance shooting that is........It easily holds its own in the hunting class. A few yrs ago I took my 270 to a distance comp where we had opportunity to shoot a mile. I had loaded Berger 150 VLD's for the comp and didn't hesitate to try the mile. It was a long shot (pun intended) to hope to hit steel at that distance but walked a hit in after 6 shots. I was pushing that pill at 3100fps and did have mild pressure signs (obviously) but had built the rifle for that purpose. The rifle is stupid accurate and one of my favorite bolt guns but have ventured to exploration of other cals seeking optimal performance. 300WM, 7mm08, 6 Creed, 6XC, and had recently determined to try a standard 243. One thing I am seriously looking at for this build is barrel life. I was disappointed to find that the 243 in comp velocities is a fast barrel burner as are most competition velocity calibers. But it as usual, falls in what the intended goal is. For typical 1000yd comps most cals will perform competitively at 2750 and 2950 velocities. You can and many do load to 3200-3300 fps with slightly better results. But that is where barrel life suffers. If I decide to go with 243 I can load to 2750-2950 and get decent barrel life for a comp rifle. I am seriously considering going back to the 270 but in a left hand action to improve my personal performance. With the 243 I think the 118 d-tac is the heaviest weight available and limits options to some extent. The 270 offers 90 gr up 180 gr which well covers the weight range I would consider loading for comps.

Now to the 27 Nosler..........I wouldn't consider it for a comp rifle mostly because it isn't necessary to accomplish my goals. But it is a fair consideration for longer distances like the mile. With the Berger 170 or the Woodleigh 180 it would be a contender. But that said it is still light for the task. I gave my son-n-law a 33 Nosler a few yrs ago and though I don't won't one that is a very impressive load for loooong distance shooting. If I had all the $$ people keep telling me I have I'd have both and would load ammo for both without hesitation. Bottom line the 27 Nosler is border line "good" in long distance beyond 1200yds and is simply a selling point in todays market. Just like the 24 and the 26. For hunting it is too expensive and would tend to over power most bullet designs.

Note: For ultimate bullet expansion and results, it is recommended that this bullet be fired in a load with an impact velocity no greater than 3000 fps and no less than 1900 fps. Woodleigh Bullets 270 180 Grain

Bullet Length    1.391 Inches 

Note: Most 270 caliber rifles do not have a fast enough twist barrel to stabalize this 170 grain bullet.  For full stability, Berger recommends a 1:8” twist or faster
Berger Elite Hunter 270 Caliber 170 Grain

Bullet Length    1.49 Inches 

Edited by Sgt. D - February/21/2020 at 13:39
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

IMO, in bolt action hunting guns, having to pay a premium for brass really is not that big of a deal if you reload.  Buy 100 of them and likely they will last you for the life of the rifle.  Yes they may cost $2+ a brass but in the long scheme of things the cost is pretty minimal. 

In my WSM rifles, a 300 and a 270, I used to use Winchester brass. It took some extra work to get it match grade but it is easy to find and reasonably priced. About six months ago, I had to have the bolt in my 300 WSM M70 bushed and refaced. Galling was bad enough that I didn’t feel safe shooting it. Gas escaping from primer pockets was the obvious culprit. After that I got rid of all my  Winchester WSM brass and stopped using Federal match primers in those two calibers. The point is, for me at least, don’t push the limits on how many times you use your brass cases. When the primer pockets aren’t tight, the case has outlived its usefulness. In a high pressure magnum, like a WSM, you aren’t going to get 10 loads. My complaint about Nosler brass is that it’s either identical to Norma, or it’s similar. It’s not better and shouldn’t cost so much more. I will still buy it if it’s all I can get because I can get a lot of brass cases cheaper than I can have another bolt bushed.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2020 at 15:19
Had a 7mm WSM that was the best competition rifle I've had for consistency and ease of hitting steel out to 1K yds. But had to let it go because of cost of brass. Had 100 pieces of once fired to start with then had to start loading 300WSM to keep using it. Problem was getting any brass in 7mm WSM was near impossible and when I did find any it was 2.50 to 3.00 a piece for once fired. And about 4 loads is all I could get before the primer pockets were shot. And the last nail in the coffin was the 300 WSM cases would start splitting the necks after 2 or 3 loads. And I was annealing. It was an incredible rifle for comps but just too expensive to shoot. Really frustrating that you can buy all the 7mm WSM ammo you want but new brass doesn't seem to exist..........
That was when I was part of the "shoot the heavy grain bullets as fast as is borderline safe" crowd. I have since learned that you can compete with 107gr 6mm just as well as a 185gr 300WM. It mostly comes down to knowing you rifle and spending time behind the trigger. Gone are the days of 8lbs. of powder only lasting 2 or 3 comps. With a 270 or 243, 8lbs. seems to keep on going. The scale is starting to tip toward the 270 for this next comp rifle. Bullet options are a lot better than they were 10yrs ago. I want to get back to top 10 shooter before I turn 60. Problem is managing these physical impairments. Maybe I should look into cybernetics.

Anybody want to invest 6 mill in a competition shooter???

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic