OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Binoculars Japanese/German/USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Binoculars Japanese/German/USA
    Posted: February/11/2020 at 20:27
Hello All, 

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. I am open to all brands but I just went looking at some Vixen binoculars. I noticed that the one that was made in Japan had superior optics and a focus dial that felt more precise.

Personally I prefer: 

- open bridge designs (easy to grasp)
- less rubberized or non-rubberized models 
- something in the range of 8x42, 8x50 (for more light), and 7x50. 
- something that feels like excellence 

Are there any Japanese/German/USA/Chinese models that you all like?

I am not looking to spend $2,000 but would like your thoughts on what feels like real quality like the Japanese one I was just looking at. It was about $430 but it was largely rubberizied and I would to see if I can find something that I fall completely in love with. I am ok with more or less money but just wanted to see some options that take in a lot of light and feel like something I want to use, as well as admire.

Thanks, 

TJ 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 10:24
Lots of great brands out there.  I picked up a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 on the sample list a few years ago that are my go-to for rifle hunting.  Also have a pair of Zen-Rays in 7x36 that are my go-to for bow hunting.  Harder to find nowadays but still great for the price.  Hard to go wrong with Vortex in the tiers under the ultra premium.  Either Viper or Razor.  Too many others to list, but my Vortex stuff holds up great.  Meopta and the Leupold Santiam and Guide pro are both open bridge and likely worth looking at.  Good luck.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 20:36
Hi TJ,

There hasn't been a line of consumer binoculars made in the states in decades. Even when B&L was the big dog, much of their inventory came from Zeiss.

By the way, what does the "88" at the end of your signature stand for?

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by WJC - February/12/2020 at 21:00
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

NeilLD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2020 at 03:51
What about Austrian optics? I mean some premiun models and brands like Swarowski?

I did an extended test covering every top level binoculars of the time. I methodically ordered, evaluated and then sent back all of them except one pair which I finally settled on. The total like of them was immediate. Swarovskis were the successful end of the search. The other manufactures of top of the line binoculars fell by the wayside with issues ranging from minor personal dislikes to a few which had very serious problems. 

I don't have any experience with German/Japanese or I hope Chinese as well.
But my mid-range Oberwerks LW made in Ohio and premium Swarowski EL worth every dang penny.
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2020 at 10:06
As I said in my previous post:

THERE ARE NO CONSUMER BINOCULARS MADE IN AMERICA AND HAVEN’T BEEN FOR DECADES.

I didn’t make that up—like so many ultracrepidarians on the Internet—nor do have a need to bend the truth. I can’t help that shysters carefully choose their words so as to confuse the trusting and unwary.

But realizing binocular forums are the place for opinions, I certainly am pleased to have you believe what you will. However, my opinions come from more than 50 years in many disciplines the optics industry.

Just trying to help.

Cheers,

Bill

PS Oberwerk is an IMPORTER. 

Edited by WJC - April/27/2020 at 10:23
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic