OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for rile?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope for rile?
    Posted: October/04/2006 at 22:09

New to the forum, and have a question for the board. I have several rifles and several scopes. Not really sure what would be the best matchup.

Rifles: Pre 64 model 70 300 H&H

Sako Finnbear 6.5X55

Model 70 30.06

Model 70 243

Commercial Mauser (Santa Barbara?) 243

Scopes:

Bushnell Scopechief 3X9X40 late 80's

Bausch & Lomb Balvar 2.5X10X40 late 80's

Leupold VXIII 2.5X8X36 late 90's

Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40 newer

I'm thinking the Zeiss for the 300 H&H for eye relief, but will it take the magnum?

The Bausch&Lomb has lived on the Sako and will shoot subMO.

The Leupold is a new scope to me at least.

Use will be mostly range and deer perhaps elk within 300 yrds. I'm tempted to get a longer range scope for the 243, 4 to 12 or so. Nikon Buckmaster, Burris Fullfield II or Pentax Pioneer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ron     

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2006 at 07:36

With the recent info regarding the Conquest, I wouldn't put it on the H&H, I would put it on the 06.  Sounds like your Balvar has a home!  I'd probably put the Scopechief on the Mauser.  I like your idea about the 70.. you might consider a Sightron SSII.... That leaves the Leupy for the 300 and I'm not sure how well that fits and will depend on what purpose you will use the 300 for.  If I was in a hurry (didn't have time to save $$) and I was going to use the 300 for serious big game hunting, I would probably put the Balvar on it and put the Leupy on the Sako.

Can't wait to see what other's think!

take em!
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

With the recent info regarding the Conquest, I wouldn't put it on the H&H, I would put it on the 06.  Sounds like your Balvar has a home!  I'd probably put the Scopechief on the Mauser.  I like your idea about the 70.. you might consider a Sightron SSII.... That leaves the Leupy for the 300 and I'm not sure how well that fits and will depend on what purpose you will use the 300 for.  If I was in a hurry (didn't have time to save $$) and I was going to use the 300 for serious big game hunting, I would probably put the Balvar on it and put the Leupy on the Sako.

Can't wait to see what other's think!

+1

He said it well!  However, I wouldn't be afraid to mount the Conquest on the H&H...

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2006 at 11:15

Put the Zeiss 3-9x40 on the model 70  30-06

Put the Leu VXIII  2.5-8 on the model 70 .243

and trade the other two in on Samplelist for a couple of Nikon Monarch scopes or another Zeiss or Leu VXIII.

I'd say for the 300 H&H

6586 Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope                    Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free Nikon Spud w/ Purchase
SWFA: $429.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU57140 Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope                    Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Boone & Crockett
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Index Matched Lens System
  • Free Leupold Ballistic Aiming Training CD w/ Purchase
  • Free One-year Membership to Boone and Crockett Club's Associates Program w/ Purchase
SWFA: $769.95
More Info...

For the other .243

6506 Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope                           Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Free Nikon Spud w/ Purchase
SWFA: $249.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2006 at 12:21

Thanks for the info. I have been away from hunting and shooting for some time. The Sako and I are old friends, my go to rig. If I can see it I can hit it. The .06 is the knock about hunter, a lightweight laminate stock. The Leupold and Zeiss are new to me and never mounted yet. I am not sure the Leupold will even fit the H&H, it would be right on the bells with the current Leupold rings and mounts(the only mounts and rings I could find for a pre64 magnum). It is a very long action. I have yet to shoot the H&H, it was willed to me from my wifes family. Came with two boxes of '55 vintage super X ammo. I also have the only other two boxes it has shot. High hopes for this one, perhaps as accurate as the Sako, will have to do some loading and see what it likes. Years ago I had a 7mm Magnum and still have the scar, that is why I worry about eye relief. The H&H is long and heavy so perhaps it will not kick that bad. It has the iron sights so 40mm is about the max bell that will fit without really high rings. The Mauser was a project from years ago that was never finished. It is getting close now just a bit more checkering and a glass bed. I grew up in Northern Minnesota and used iron sights for hunting. Now that I am out west I am considering a higher power scope. The Nikons on the sample list are priced well. Not sure if the Leupolds are really good for the money. The current VXIII looks clearer than the old Balvar but not $400 worth. The Zeiss should be here tomorrow. I looked at a few scopes at a local gun store, and got quite a shock at current prices, scopes are close to the same, but guns have gotten really expensive. I guess it has been 15 years, no more Model 70's, and Sako's are over $1K...   

Ron  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic