OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What compares to a Leica 8x42 Ultravid?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What compares to a Leica 8x42 Ultravid?
    Posted: October/04/2006 at 19:13

My wife really liked these binos when she handled them at a birding festival.  They'd be mainly used for birding and butterfly watching by her.  I was pretty impressed with the brightness, clarity, and resolution of the Leica Ultravid series and would be interested in "borrowing" them for hunting.

The only thing I don't like is the $1745 price, though I grudgingly admit that I'd pay it.

Are there any other high-end binos that are comparable to the Leica Ultravids, or am I just fooling myself and should prepare for the Christmas bank account hit?

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2006 at 22:02
Retracted
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2006 at 07:33

Nevermind. The Conquest 8x40 is NOT close to the Ultravid in quality and performance. It is a plastic mid-range model. I tought advertising for competitors is not allowed on this forum.

The Swarovski SLC 8x30 and Leica Trinovid 8x32 and 8x42 are as good as Ultravid, and they cost a few hundred less. If you can get to Cabelas or Bass Pro, try the Bushnell Elite 8x42, Leupold 8x32, Meopta 8x42 etc. They don't have quite the view of the Leica/Swaro, but they are very good and cost less than $1000.

Nikon LXL 8x42 is less expensive as well, is excellent, costs a bit less.\

Price wise, your best option would be to get a refurbished Nikon LX 8x42, or 8x32 for wider field of view.

shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 11:58
Thank you very much.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 12:10

here's my opinion:

i have held swaro's el's in the field (7x50's), i have held high end nikons, and zeiss.

the best bang for the buck that i have found is the fujinon 7x50's - they are remarkably bright and

the image in 7x50 is as stable of an image as you can hope for.  they cost well under the leica's

and would be comparable, i assume.  try them out.  you won't be dissappointed.

good luck.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 13:28
The gentleman's wife is looking for a binocular that can be used for butterflies & the Fujinon 7x50's have a close focus of 17 ft. Generally, individuals looking at butterflies prefer something alittle closer.(around 10 feet and under).

Also, most folks who are birders would find the weight of the Fujion (approx. 3 & 1/3 lbs) rather heavy. The ladies usually prefer something much lighter & much smaller, as they often times have smaller hands than men.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 14:10

my appologies, then ........ i am usually looking at the larger variety of butterflies that look remarkably like deer.

10 feet away is quite close for binocs - but what do i know, i am just a deer hunting dolt.

regards. - the fujinons aren't the lightest around, but they are truly not a burden w/ good shoulder straps.

optically, they are outstanding and wouldn't put much above them, especially for the money.

J

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 14:28
No apologies necessary. Welcome on board. Fujinon optics are some of the very best on the planet for the money. I am not a hunter, so instead of carrying around a rifle & scope, etc, I don't mind toting around a heavy binocular, on a monopod or a tripod. I'm very seldom outside for more than 2 or 3 hours, so, weight hasn't been a significant factor thus far.

Thanks for your input.
shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 09:06
One of the things that my wife liked about the Leicas was indeed the close focusing and their weight.  (I liked the warranty in case something stupid happened during hunting/hiking.  "Well...my wife was spotting turkeys out of my deer stand and she accidentally slipped off and crushed the binos between her and the tree...honest.") 
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2006 at 12:08
Nikon Premier SE 8X32 Porros.  They have a better view than the Swarovskis.  I think they are about $600
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 01:49
Top end roof prism binoculars typically can focus a little closer than top end porros due to the fact that the objective lenses are closer together in a roof prism binocular.  For butterfly viewing, roof prism binos work better.

Leica prices are certainly capable of giving someone a nosebleed, so I would look at Nikon Premiere LXL binoculars and Minox HG.  Look at 8x versions.

I think you'll be impressed with the optical quality.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 09:09

I never new about that difference between roof and porros.

Three of us in my family all have 7X42's, my Zeiss, a Swaro porro ( ha ha) and a Leica. I would be hard pressed to make a call in terms of quality. For a porro the Swaro is pretty trim and very comfortable to hold for extended glassing. Both the Zeiss and the Swarovski are less costly than the Leica.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2006 at 12:49
The Nikon Premier SE 8x32 mentioned by mwyates are NOT waterproof or fogproof. They would not be good for hunting.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2006 at 15:07
Actually, I hunt with my Premier SE 8X32's all the time.  I don't drop them in the river, but I don't baby them either.  Never had a fogging problem.  I haven't ever seen the benefit of a waterproof binocular.  You can't see through any of them if it pouring rain. If fyou're worried about it get the LXL's.  They're a lot more money, though, and no better, is a s good, optically.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2006 at 17:27
One of the benefits of waterproofing is that the nitrogen helps prevent the aluminum or silver coatings, that are used on some prisms, from oxidizing & requiring more frequent attention or replacement.

However, it is always good to hear from a person, like yourself, regarding the durability & reliability of a product, in actual field testing.

Thank you very much for sharing your input.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2006 at 20:25

"Actually, I hunt with my Premier SE 8X32's all the time.  I don't drop them in the river, but I don't baby them either.  Never had a fogging problem."

Same here. I used a pair last year during hunting season and never had a problem with them in regard to internal fogging. However, I did have an issue with dust getting into the ocular assembly which is one of the reasons why I sold them. Excellent optics and ergonomics. If they made them truly waterproof and upgraded the eyecups I would be the first in line to buy another pair.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic