OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My first of the year...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first of the year...
    Posted: November/26/2019 at 19:34
This called for a small smackeral of Michter's Bourbon (good stuff).  I was hunting a bigger deer, but he showed up first... couldn't resist.
It was getting dark when I got him up to my house, couldn't find my lanterns, couldn't find my knives, couldn't find my hoist... and it's been about six years since I field dressed a deer.  Boy was it fun.  I looked like a ghoul when I got finished... took a LOOOONG shower.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2019 at 19:37
Nice buck! Congratulations!

Give us some details of the hunt!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2019 at 19:55
Ted, it was pretty mundane.  I sat in a stand for about 35 minutes.  He showed up... walked around (full circle around where I was sitting in a pop-up ground blind... HUGE rub on a pine tree about 10 feet from where I set up) then walked right in about 35 yards from me... seriously, I considered yelling before I shot just so he had a chance.  I "blooded" the Voere Shikar .300 WinMag (Meopta Meostar R1 3-12 set on 4x).
He flipped over on his back, legs kicked twice... tiny entry hole, 3 inch exit hole... destroyed heart and lungs.  
I apologized to him for being so unprepared to field dress... I seldom lose things, but when I do it is because my wife moved it (and she did, but I should have so my fault).   I actually was not expecting to see deer today because of all the shooting around my property.  I was blood covered from head to toe when I finally got finished.  Ashamed of myself.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2019 at 07:26
Nice deer Dan. You and Ted have had some great hunts this season, congrats to you both. One of the few things I am good at is field dressing deer, as chief dogger I often do this for the guys usually less then10 minutes if I don’t stab myself on bone splinters!
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2019 at 16:19
The processor I took it to called me today and said it is the "prettiest" deer he has had come in so far this year.  He also said "you really should have that one mounted".  Lori said "NO".

I measured shot distance today... I was off... it was 35.3 yards...

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2019 at 17:04
I'm glad to know that 300 Winchester reached that far!   Big Grin

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2019 at 19:27
It was touch and go...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2019 at 22:04
Did you have to hold full value wind on that shot Dan?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 06:38
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 08:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Did you mean as in not breaking wind Ted?
God save the Empire!
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 09:07
Great stuff buddy! Still  not managed to get out, going stir crazy in London!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 14:47
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Probably the best wind call I've ever made without assistance... I must say, it was "a t'ing'a beauty".  I've mentioned a number of times how lucky I am... don't know that I'll ever be this lucky again.  I know you won't believe this, but I don't think wind had ANY impact on the shot at all...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Nice deer Dan. You and Ted have had some great hunts this season, congrats to you both. One of the few things I am good at is field dressing deer, as chief dogger I often do this for the guys usually less then10 minutes if I don’t stab myself on bone splinters!
Yeah, well... get your airplane warmed up, 'cause I'm going to need some help real soon...
(at one time I was pretty fair at field dressing... )

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 17:15
Man if I could square it with the queen bee I’d book my flight tonight!
God save the Empire!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2019 at 13:40
Damn nice deer Dan, Say that 3 times real fast.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2019 at 11:05
Congratulation , Dan !    Nice buck   Thunbs Up
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2019 at 17:44
Thank you.  Prettiest face of any deer I ever shot.  

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2019 at 14:52
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

THAT, THAT, THAT. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2019 at 20:34
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2019 at 07:21
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

THAT, THAT, THAT. Big Grin

Damn, he figured it out.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic