OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Ed Show
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage Rifles and Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 48>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2020 at 17:08

1876 winchester antique rifle 45-60 – Auction Armory Worlds Largest  Firearm and Outdoor Network

I know where there's a Winchester 1876 if any of you fellas need a 45/60........it's a couple thousand dollars......

Edited by Son of Ed - November/22/2020 at 17:13
Visit the Ed Show
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2020 at 19:37
I'm interested in the Ithaca. What are the details??
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 05:54
The details are: I'm going to buy it this morning.   Smile
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 06:40
Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 Gauge | Minot, ND

Well, I'm not an Ithaca historian but over the past fifty years I have learned a few things about their evolution and how to date them.

Back in the Old Days the shotguns had cut checkering....field guns had corncob forearms and fancy skeet and trap models had checkered forearms. Serial numbers were out of sight on the front edge of the receiver near the breech. The early guns from 1937 till maybe the late 50s (?) could be slam-fired but later on they added a trigger cut-off. 

Around 1964 Ithaca began using Raybar plastic beads and sights. Pinkish-orangish plastic day-glo stuff. So that can date stuff.

Around 1965 they started doing the pressed-on checkering thing which really turned me off (Like Remington and Winchester were doing...)

Later on in the 70s they went back to cut checkering but kept the same ribbon-style checkering pattern. Serial numbers were now on the side of the receiver. I think they started doing that in the early sixties. 

Old models had Sunburst recoil pads. 

Shotgunworld.com • Early Ithaca 37 Value (pics)...

Here's a fancy one with lots of checkering and a Sunburst pad. No serial on right side of receiver. Obviously an old Slam-fire one! 

The one I saw on Friday is (I think) a mid-sixties one. It's got cut checkering on the pistol grip but it's got the Big Grooved forearm....Sunburst pad, plain barrel---no rib---but the Raybar sight. It's also got the serial on the right side of the reveiver for all to see. So I figure it's a pre-pressed on checkering model from like 1964. It's in great shape. Easily 90%. 

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 06:44
Ten years ago I had an old slam-fire Ithaca from like 1948....but I sold it like an ass.....

12 Ga. Ithaca Model 37 Pump Action Shotgun Roll Engraved Mfd 1949 C&amp;R Ok  For Sale at GunAuction.com - 10436897

Visit the Ed Show
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 10:27
I would love an Ithaca 37 to compare with my BPS
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 10:38
Ithaca model 37 Featherlight 12 ga Pump Action

Well, I just went down to the gun store and put that Ithaca on layaway. Holy crap! I had a real good look at it this morning! It's 98% perfect! Unbelievable! A tiny bit of blue wear on the magazine tube on the right side only! Otherwise it's like brand new! The wood is perfect...not a scratch!

They wanted $479 for it. I couldn't pass it up or it would have been gone in another two days. 

Ordnance and Model or And For Sale - Buy Ordnance and Model or And Online  at GunBroker.com
Looks exactly like this! 12 Ga....2 3/4" only.....Mod Choke.....Wonderful....just what I would want! Spotless! 

Ithaca model 37 Featherlight 12 ga Pump Action

Here's a picture and you can see the pressed-on checkering.  But the one I bought has cut checkering on the pistol grip.  

Edited by Son of Ed - November/23/2020 at 10:46
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 10:44
Johnny Carson Asks For Help From The Audience to Get Through The Monologue  - 10/14/1981 - YouTube

" Eduardo will have to have a celebratory drink...."     

The Dismal Swamp - The Optics Talk Forums - Page 578

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 10:50
Showbiz David: The Magic of Johnny Carson Endures in Nightly Replays of The  Tonight Show

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 10:56
The Dismal Swamp - The Optics Talk Forums - Page 39

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 11:12
Whoa!!!   

I just had a brain wave and checked the serial number on the Internet!!!  Bucky    1963    Big Grin

https://ithacagun.com/serial-numbers/

Whoa! 

I just read that the Ithaca M 37 could slam-fire up until 1975!!   Bucky  Holy mackerel!  I did good!    

Edited by Son of Ed - November/23/2020 at 11:25
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 11:32
Woman Proud Of Herself Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image  57751051.

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 15:37

Here's an old Ithaca ad from the late 50s. Apparently that shotgun that I put on layaway is The Deluxe Model.  

Cool.

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2020 at 20:18
Thumbs Up iPhone Cases (Page #2 of 15) | Fine Art America

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2020 at 07:48
Way cool, Ed.  Congratulations on the most excellent find.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2020 at 08:21
I was looking at my checkbook....and I have a little stash in my bedroom (like Obama!) and I think I'll go ahead and get it out today. After all That Stash was there FOR EMERGENCIES!   
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2020 at 08:24

I believe this qualifies as an Emergency!  

emergency alert gifs | WiffleGif

Edited by Son of Ed - November/24/2020 at 08:30
Visit the Ed Show
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2020 at 09:21
Glad you got it.........I wouldn't have been able to pay that price anyway. Sounds like a good find. They are great shotguns!!

12 Ga. Ithaca Model 37 Pump Action Shotgun Roll Engraved Mfd 1949 C&amp;amp;R Ok  For Sale at GunAuction.com - 10436897
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2020 at 16:16
1955 Ithaca Model 37 Deluxe Rifle Ad - Bombshells on eBid United States |  159187329

Well, here's an ad from 1955. I guess that was the year the Raybar sight came out....and the NEW Model 37 Deluxe.....I've learned quite a bit about Ithacas in the past few days. 

So now I own a 1963 Ithaca Model 37 Deluxe in 98% condition!  Super wood on the buttstock, too!  

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2020 at 18:42
Uberti Wild Bill 1851 Navy Conversion Revolver Review

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/Uberti-Wild-Bill-1851-Navy-conversion-revolver-review......

Uberti-1851-Wild-Bill

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 48>
  Share Topic