OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

aimpoint for a 30-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aimpoint for a 30-30
    Posted: November/07/2019 at 20:18
I am considering a aimpoint or similar type dot scope that would work as an effective short range (100 yds. and less) scope for fast target acquisition in the thickets of north Louisiana hunting from a climbing tree stand. I am not entirely sure about the limitations of of this type of optic in terms of low light operation. and durability . My interest in this type of optic is driven buy the compact nature of these . Normaly I would hunt with this rifle in this situation with iron sights but aging eyes has me looking at optioms.   
The unprepared are the most likely to suffer;    Teddy R.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2019 at 21:43
try a sig romeo 5. I have been seeing them lately for $99. They are a good optic. Plus for $99 you can afford to try it and not feel to bad if u dont like it
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2019 at 17:12
Can I ask where you are mounting the optic? Near back of action or forward scout style?
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2019 at 22:28
I intend on mounting on the action ... looking hard at the aimpoint  9000sc
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2019 at 18:22
I run a couple of Aimpoint 9000L models and have had them on several rifles using 30mm rings, also have a romeo 5 but those sit up at the height for an AR. I like them but I will say that it is not the same as looking through clear glass in low light the coatings on the lens same as any aimpoint or other dot sights makes the view appear as if you put your sunglasses on in low light.  With both eyes open it is still fast on target and the big advantage is cheek weld doesn't matter & eye relief distance to scope doesn't matter if the dot is on it that is where it hits.  With a lever action I would mount one forward in a scout configuration.

https://www.swfa.com/xs-sight-lever-scout-mount-9.htmlhttps://www.swfa.com/xs-sight-lever-scout-mount-9.html

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/11/2019 at 18:31

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2019 at 23:24
romeo 5s have a low mount too. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2019 at 02:14
I've been through a similar experience of putting an optic on a lever action

(Though mine is top eject so have to put the optic in front of the ejection port)

The red dot is fast. And for driven game hard to beat in my view but it tougher being accrurate at longer distances and as above the low light performance suffers a bit.

I preferred a scout scope which gave me the long eye relief, a bit more magnification for 100yd shots (Think if you see something across a clearing).

But, in saying all that, if I could I'd mount a low power variable scope over the action. I'd also stay away from straight tube scopes and try and get something with a bit more objective and better light gathering for dawn and dusk.

Scrummy

porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2019 at 09:18
Well felas the low light performance is a must for me . Asfer talking with you folks I am now looking at the Leupold fxi 2.5x20. Any thoughts there
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2019 at 16:58
The Leupold scout scope should work nicely and allow a bright image actual magnification is 2.3 X which makes it fast on target. $299.99

https://www.swfa.com/burris-275x20-scout-scope-102490.html https://www.swfa.com/burris-275x20-scout-scope-102490.html  the Burris 2.75x20 also a good choice  $249.   

The red dots are workable though  -  they use them in combat and actually you can close the front lens cover and using both eyes open your eyes will place the dot on the target - you wouldn't think it would work but it does, its just different.

Both scout scopes would mount forward. If you still plan on mounting over the reciever a 2-7 Redfield might be a consideration I have a couple of them and like them, so you do have several good choices, out of which I would probably put the Leupold scout on mounted forward on the XS rail if its a Winchester and if it's a side eject Marlin my Marlin has the 2-7 Redfield on it but I did have the Aimpoint 9000L on the Marlin lever action till I moved that to an AR.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2019 at 21:00
Though I have not seen an aimpoint on a lever gun in person, I am a huge red dot fan on almost everything. They are fast, they are reliable, they are durable, they are almost idiot-proof; and on moving game, there is nothing faster for me. True, at range, they are less precise; but a lever gun is probably a 2 MOA gun, match that with a 2MOA dot and you have pretty good overlap of capabilities out to 100 yards. Even at the edges of both's precision, you are well within vitals.

Magnifying scopes have huge advantages, but require training and repetition to get consistent and accurate. Red dots are simpler and muscle memory - at least for me - comes easier. And the capacity to put rounds on target without as much effort in head position on the gun is a definite time saver.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2019 at 02:14
I would be hesitant to put a x20 scope on if I wanted low light performance.

Scout scopes mounted forward scout scopes aren't great in low light because the scope is further from your eye.

If I was to go for something it might be a 1.5-5x33 VXR scout scope. It's not really a scout scope having only about 6" of eye relief but you could mount it so the back of the oculuar is level with the back of the action leaving the hammer free. Also has an illuminated centre dot and a nice magnification range for sneaking around cover and longer tree stand work across open areas.

Scrummy
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2019 at 10:39
I’ve got an Aimpoint on one of my 12 gauges. I use it on the nearby Army base for coyote hunting. It’s shotgun only on the base. It’s also great for home defense. For me, it’s ideal for hitting a moving target at close range but I’d prefer something different beyond 50 yards. My eyes are old and not perfect. For you, maybe it’s perfect. Aimpoints are reliable, lightweight and the batteries last almost forever. If you buy one and don’t like it on your levergun, you’ll probably find something you do like it on.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2019 at 19:13
Even a 20mm objective scope will offer a substantial low light improvement over a red dot sight.

Leupold 2.5x20 is a very nice scope, but you have to make sure the reticle is thick enough to be visible in low light.

Without a brightly illuminated reticle, it will be notably slower than a red dot, but with better low light performance and precision.

Unfortunately, there really aren't any simple fixed power scopes with illuminated reticles.

Honestly, if I were you, I might consider getting Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 or Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 or something similar

It will give you good speed on 1x, good low light performance on 2.5x and good precision when dialed up a little more.

With low power variable scopes, for speed on 1x you need three things: bright illuminated dot, large exit pupil and wide (and flat) field of view.  To get all three you would have to really go up in price to scopes like March 1-4x24 with fiber illuminated FD-1 reticle.  That's close to $1800 though.  That's the price to pay for the 18mm 1x exit pupil I suppose.

The scopes I mentioned above are pretty good for a lot less money.

ILya
Slickheadslayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slickheadslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2019 at 08:44
The Leupold 1.5-5x20 vx-3i is about the best scope I have ever used for all around usage, fast target acquisition, excellent low light ability and at least around New England a top magnification of 5 is more than enough. Very good rifle scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic