OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Sample List

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Sample List
    Posted: October/02/2006 at 22:01
Anybody ever wonder why ther are so many Kahles, Swarovski, and Nikon scopes on the sample list?  There's at least 5 times as many of them as Zeiss, Leupold, Burris or the others.  Is this significant or just ....?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 11:35

After comparing several scopes from Leupold, Burris and Kahles at dusk last night I have to wonder why so many of the Austrian scopes appear there. This was just an impromptu comparison for some of my hunting rifles.

Vari X III 1.5-5

Vari X III 3.5-10 x 50

3-12 x 44 Burris Signature

2.2-9 x 42 Kahles Helia

I started off at 5x to keep it all apples to apples but went to 4x as the 1.5-5 started to lose it. Also went to max power on the others until well after the legal, 1/2 hour after sun set. The Kahles smoked all of them pretty badly. Chris did a thread about the 1.1-4 x 24 a while back and I was going to put one on my .375 H&H M700. They are pretty reasonable on the Sample List. Now I have to wonder why, also. I have always seen a lot of Leupolds there, too.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 15:24
I would expect a lot of Leupolds, just because they sell so many scopes (Anybody know total scope sales for all the major companies?  That would be interesting).  There's 5 times as many Kahles and Swarovski, and I know they don't sell near as many scopes.  Maybe someone at SWFA could shed some light.  It may be that Kahles and Swaro reps have more "samples" to offer.  I wonder how many are actually trade ins?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 17:51
I think you are right as I'm kind of worried about the Kahles. I have had good luck with mine. It is the only scope I have that I can see a deer in marginal light that I picked up with my 7 x 42 Zeiss binocs. The Swaro's, on the other hand, have not held up with magnum rifles with two of my friends. The glass is excellent, but both of them have put the scopes (3 x 9) on .22 centerfires since repair. Leupolds sell a ton,  if eBay is a good example. I know Chris ( his site) is big time here and would certainly like to hear his opinion..............next purchase is SWFA, none the less 
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 20:54

I doubt very seriously that the inventory of the Sample List is any indication that a particular make is producing poor quality optics.  I am going to venture a guess & say that the # of Kahles, Swarovski and a few others has more to do with that particular manufacturer's close relationship with SWFA.

I also seem to recall that Chris went from Swarovski's to Kahles CL scopes on his personal rifles.  I doubt the owner of SWFA would do so if he were aware of a high proportion of defective scopes from those makes...

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2006 at 02:03

I would guess whatever scopes show up most of the list are from the companies that give Chris the best deal.

ranburr

0100010 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0100010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2006 at 06:12
Uneducated guess; but I would think the contents of the Sample List would be made up mostly of dealer samples and manufacturer samples at trades shows, etc.  The less expensive scopes are going to be common at most any gun/outdoors shops where customers can go anywhere to take a look.  The more expensive scopes are carried by less retailers, therefore they provide more samples to get them out and about where potential customers can see them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic