OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Razor vs Meostar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Razor vs Meostar
    Posted: September/08/2019 at 22:13
which is better for static stand hunting:

Meopta Meostar B1.1 12X50
Vortex Razor HD 12X50

Low light, clarity, durability. Fogging up in hot humid conditions. Or if you’ve got a better suggestion in the $1200 and under range, I’d like to hear it. 

My son’s old Bushnell’s have gone bad. He’s getting my Steiner Predators and I want a good quality pair.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2019 at 23:26
Why 12x? Are they going to be tripod mounted most of the time?
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 01:54
I'd go meopta but less mag for a general purpose bino. Static glassing in big country might be different though
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 06:59
I have the Meostar 12x50 and really like it, its performance and handling
are very good.
As mentioned for stand hunting you should be at 10x or less, an 8x will be
a good choice, so carry a quality 8x32 you will like it.

I don't have any Vortex optics, they moved all production to China, and there
are many other better choices, for the dollar.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 08:22
My dad has the meopta 12x50. I have used them alot. They are a good bino. We hunt open country all the time. We spot and stalk alot. The 12x has never been an issue for us. we have never used them on a tripod, never seen the need.  We can easily spot game well past legal hunting times. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 12:27
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Why 12x? Are they going to be tripod mounted most of the time?

My eyesight sucks the older I get. We’re trying to be stricter in our management as well and fines are going up, I got to set and example but I’m a trigger happy SOB. Add to that picking deer out in dense brush, where you might see an eye or nose or throat patch. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 13:06
So, let’s take the Vortex out and replace it with the Leupold Santiam instead. 

I quit buying Leupold optics a while back because I found others that were as good for less and realized I could do much better for the same. Seems they stepped up their game of late but it’s like a GM product to me, I need to feel real good before I consider it.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 13:25
Make sure you get the HD version, not one of the left over non HDs that might be roaming around still.

I own the 8x HD, the 10x non HD and my dads is the 12x non HD.  A friend has the 10x HD and comparing them and the 8x HD side by side to my non 10x HD and dads 12x, you can see a diff.  In really low light when look at a herd of elk you can see them a few minutes soon with the HDs.  Plus overall they just pop better to my eyes.  The overall image is just flat out better. 

Then I jump up to my Zeiss Victory 10x45 RF bino's and they are better than the Meopta HDs in a similar way.  More money will get you better optics for sure, but you have to decide at what point you need to be satisfied. 

My biggest complaint with Meopta's is the eye cups are not long enough.  When panning side to side I get the momentary black outs of the image if I don't hold them perfect becaues I am not able to push them deep into my eyes.  My Zeiss and my 8x Sightron blue skys have much longer eye cups and I do not have this issue at all with them.  Just something to think about and you may want to try before you buy. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 17:13
On magnification:  I have met a lot of people who thought that 12x works better for them unsupported, but I have never met someone for whom it actually does once we put it to the test.

I'd look at 10x or 8x.  If you are not going to carry it around too much, a heavier model will be steadier.

In terms of performance for the money Meopta Meostar HD binos are very good.

ILya

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 18:08
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

On magnification:  I have met a lot of people who thought that 12x works better for them unsupported, but I have never met someone for whom it actually does once we put it to the test.

I'd look at 10x or 8x.  If you are not going to carry it around too much, a heavier model will be steadier.

In terms of performance for the money Meopta Meostar HD binos are very good.

ILya

Is there anything better in that price or to $1500.00? Do I gain anything in a 10X50 over a 10X42?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2019 at 12:29
10x50 will usually be a little more forgiving than 10x42.  I am generally not a fan of the 10x42 configuration since I really prefer to have a 5mm exit pupil in a full size binocular.

That having been said, 10x42 is definitely the most popular configuration overall since it is the easiest to market.  

There is a wide perception out there that you need more magnification to see better and that falls apart completely when viewing handheld.  For that, within limits, you want a little less magnification and a little more weight.  The lighter the bino, the less magnification you want.  This varies some from person to person since some are naturally steadier than others, but overall this holds true for everyone.

One of the things that makes you steadier is larger exit pupil, so 10x50 will generally be easier to use than 10x42 owing to larger exit pupil and a little more weight.

I was very dissapointed when Leica did not introduce a 10x50 Trinovid since that is such an iconic configuraiton for them.

With that in mind: if Meopta makes a configuration you want, it is a very safe bet, go with that.

If Meopta does not, I like the Razor binocular and 10x50 is quite good.  I have not seen the Santiam, so I do not know how it stacks up.

Personally, I would even consider Maven 10x56.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic