OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope and rings needed for Rem Mohawk 600

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope and rings needed for Rem Mohawk 600
    Posted: September/02/2019 at 15:46
I have acquired a Remington Mohawk 600 in 243.  I'm looking for a nice, light scope and rings for it. 
It currently has some kind of Weaver one piece base on it.  I don't really like the base and wanted something that will compliment the rifle and also make it easier to load/unload the rifle. 

I thought about the new SS 2-10x32.  How well will it do with this rifle in a hunting roll?  Is the 32mm objective large enough for early morning and late evening deer hunting?  Wat is a better alternative in a similar price point?  I do like the capped turrets but am OK with exposed turrets.  I do prefer MIL but MOA is OK too.  This rifle will be used by me, my wife and 15 year old daughter.  The longest shot on a deer will likely be no more than 100 yards and practically 60-80 yards. 

I also looked to Talley for the lightweight rings.  I found Talley item# 930720.  They are for model 7 and 600.  The picture for it showed the rear base having two screws.  My receiver has only one screw hole and no more room to add a second screw hole.  I emailed Talley and asked them if they had any rear bases with one screw hole and they replied back "no".  What Talley or other manf. rings are there for the Rem 600? 

The bottom line is I'm looking for a lightweight package so it doesn't outweigh the rifle and keeps the whole package small and quick. 

Thanks!
Stamp collecting since 2015
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 16:03
A 2-7 would be a good match for the rifle as is the 2-10 SS you mentioned.  Redfield and Nikon both make acceptable hunting scopes. You could go with a fixed 6x42 Leupold which would be a super bright reasonably sized optic for this rifle. https://www.swfa.com/leupold-6x42-fx-3-riflescope-5.html
You may want to call SWFA  to ask about what mount. I like Talley and you might could get away with using the Talley runing two screws in front one in back once the scope is in it. If it already has a Weaver one piece base I would be inclined to order a set of low  1 in Warne rings and call it good.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 16:07
A simple 6x might be a great answer.  I have started looking at the scope weight more now and its surprising how heavy some are. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 17:41
Talley makes a one piece steel base for the Talley QD and fixed vertical rings. I have one mounted on an M7 with only one rear screw and the fixed rings. I can't think of a better set up for the short Remington. I have both the fixed and the QD rings set up for it. But there isn't much room for the levers on that extra short action. The fixed are extremely solid with dual recoil shoulders and a lot of clamping area.
The base is also relief cut so that I can load easily without busting my thumb. Other types do not have the cut and block the loading port.

Doug
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 17:56
I decided to keep it simple and just get some better rings that fit better.  I decided on the Burris signature zee rings with the plastic inserts.  It will fit on the weaver rail already on the gun.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:18
Why limit yourself to a fixed power. There are so many better options than a 6x leupold
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:30
I just saw SWFA has a heck of a sale on the Burris Droptine.  It is larger than I originally wanted but the price is hard to pass up.
Atlas Shrug View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:36
I think the SWFA 2.5-10 would be good for your rifle.  The BDC might not match exactly, but should probably be "hunting close" in tracking the .243 ballistics, depending upon bullet choice.

For any close, low light hunting you should be perfectly fine setting it on one of the lower powers and just using the crosshairs.  That should put you within a couple of inches anywhere along the trajectory out to a couple hundred yards.  A great hunting set up IMHO.

I ordered one but don't have it yet, so this is based on theory.

The little 600s are neat guns.  If this was in .308 or bigger, I'd not suggest the SWFA due to potential eye relief concerns, but in .243 I imagine it would be just fine.

AS

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:40
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

I just saw SWFA has a heck of a sale on the Burris Droptine.  It is larger than I originally wanted but the price is hard to pass up.

Those look like they will be too big for that diminutive rifle, IMHO. (Except maybe the .22rf versions, but that's a different issue.)

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.  That rifle needs a small scope else there will be a disruption in The Force.  ;-)

Seriously, they need a small scope.

AS

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:41
Just what the hell am I doing wrong every time I try to quote a post......geeze?

sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:44
Originally posted by Atlas Shrug Atlas Shrug wrote:

Those look like they will be too big for that diminutive rifle, IMHO. (Except maybe the .22rf versions, but that's a different issue.)

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.  That rifle needs a small scope else there will be a disruption in The Force.  ;-)

AS

Thanks, I know I've made several mistakes in the past and will make plenty more to come. 
I can always get a smaller scope if the Burris doesn't match well or I just plain ol don't like it.  I have another rifle it can live on or I can buy a rifle to live on the scope.  either way...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:45

AS

Thanks, I know I've made several mistakes in the past and will make plenty more to come. 
I can always get a smaller scope if the Burris doesn't match well or I just plain ol don't like it.  I have another rifle it can live on or I can buy a rifle to live on the scope.  either way...

That's as good a reason to buy another rifle as I have seen.

ILya
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2019 at 18:48
This rifle is ultimately for my daughter but my wife mentioned that she doesn't have a deer rifle of her own.  She just uses any of mine.  I can always get one that is all hers.  I'm sure it will be a love/hate type gift.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2019 at 07:21
If you can find one, the Vortex 1.5-8 x 32 Razor is an excellent scope. Great glass and the best low light BDC reticle I have used.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2019 at 09:40
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

AS

ILya

ABSOLUTELY! My thoughts exactly!

I've built a new rifle before prompted by the fact I had an extra set of trigger guard cap screws laying around!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2019 at 09:43
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

AS

I accidentally got some 300WSM ammo, so now I am planning to buy a rifle for that.  Unfortunately, the one I want is out of stock everywhere.  I hate waiting.

ILya

ILya

ABSOLUTELY! My thoughts exactly!

I've built a new rifle before prompted by the fact I had an extra set of trigger guard cap screws laying around!
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2019 at 10:36
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

If you can find one, the Vortex 1.5-8 x 32 Razor is an excellent scope. Great glass and the best low light BDC reticle I have used.

Both the 1.5-8x32 and the 2-10x40 look great!  It seems both have been discontinued.  I'll search around for a good deal. 
I may soon be flush with new scopes.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2019 at 10:53
A few quick things:
1. For a wife and/or daughter, be aware that short eye relief scopes on a lightweight 243 might go badly. Most of us have been bitten by a scope, and it isn't pleasant.
2. I would not put a fixed-power scope on a rifle that will be used from up close to about 100 yards, nor would I worry about BDC reticle matching or calculating any manner of drop.
3. I would go for low power bottom end. At 40-60 yards, it isn't difficult to lose a moving target due to limited field of view. If it will be a short-range hunter, set it up for short-range hunting.

I have a 243 and love the caliber. My biggest deer went down to a single shot from my 243AI, easily one of my favorite guns. It is a capable caliber with great bullet selection and great ballistics for medium-sized game.

Good luck. Hunting season is soon approaching, so get to work!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2019 at 11:40
Well it's settled, I got both.  Burris Droptine 4.5x14x42mmAO and the Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40.  I'm sure the Vortex is a big step up in optics and I think it will be great on the little 600.  I'll find a home for the Burris. 

Thanks everyone.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2019 at 11:47
Though I would opt for a variable that offers between 1.5X - 3X on the bottom end, I've got a fixed 4X and a fixed 6X on 2 hunting rifles, and I've never had an issue acquiring game animals through them at very close range, even as close as 25 yards, in fact. I wouldn't select those for stalking or driven hunting where I could be faced with quick offhand shot opportunities, but for stationary hunting in a stand/blind, even a fixed 6X hasn't ever been an impediment to making very close quarters shots for me. This isn't meant to imply that I'm recommending a fixed power, however, I do see the appeal of the simplicity of a fixed power scope. When hunting with a variable scope, even in the thick stuff, I usually have my scope set at 4X and only turn the power up or down as needed for a given shot. I've dialed up more Xs frequently, but I honestly can't remember when I've ever had the need to turn down the power. Then again, I almost always hunt from fixed positions.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic