OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > SWFA > Bulletin Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEW SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight BDC Rifle Scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEW SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight BDC Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2019 at 17:43
Nice to know I’m at a place at the top of its game...
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I see no reason to not have both.  Don't forget that they also have a rimfire version now with plex reticle and 50 yard parallax.

ILya

old question, but re-visiting.   if I were to scope my 17 Hornet with one of these and wouldn't be using mags higher than 2.5 at 50 yards and closer, do I need a 'rimfire' version? 
take em!
Atlas Shrug View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2019 at 17:39
Interesting question.  I don’t know much about the 17 Hornet, but from this article it looks like the trajectory is very close to that of a 55gr .223:

(There is a graphic of the trajectory that I would post if I could post pictures....)

So to me it looks like may want to buy the BDC version and see how close it matches your .17 Hornet in the field.

Enjoy and please report back if you try this.

-AS
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2019 at 23:39
Originally posted by Atlas Shrug Atlas Shrug wrote:

Interesting question.  I don’t know much about the 17 Hornet, but from this article it looks like the trajectory is very close to that of a 55gr .223:

(There is a graphic of the trajectory that I would post if I could post pictures....)

So to me it looks like may want to buy the BDC version and see how close it matches your .17 Hornet in the field.

Enjoy and please report back if you try this.

-AS

I looked at the ballistics of your 17 and if you sight in around 225-230 it is not too far off out to 400 yards or so.

Looks usable.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2019 at 20:49
I finally get to shoot my rifle with the new scope soon....

I’m going to sight it in with IMI M193 and see how things go from there.

Can’t wait!

-Atlas Shrug 
Keep your powder dry,
Atlas Shrug
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2019 at 13:50
Can't wait to read all about it.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2019 at 18:20
I didn’t have as much time at the range as I needed, but I did get to sight in two uppers - one wearing the 2.5-10.

As noted, I sighted it in with IMI M193.  Very little correction from mounting and bore sighting was required, which always feels good as it’s a general indicator of properly manufactured components, and a proper scope and ring mounting job (I’m fairly meticulous but not a super duper lapping every ring type). 

A few clicks and my 25 yard sighting in was done.  So back to 100 yards for a few confirmation shots on paper, with a couple of fine tuning clicks, followed by a few quick shots at one of my AR500 gongs (12” square).  No problem, centered hits.  Back to 200 for a few shots - good center hits with the crosshairs, so no adjustments necessary there.

I was about out of time (I had another upper I sighted in at the closer distances, a never fired barrel, scope, and 45 degree BUIS all needing regulating, plus a persnickety chronograph, so it took a bit of time).  I still wanted to try a couple of shots at 300 though, so I loaded 10 rounds and shot a few fairly quick shots from each shoulder at the gong.  Visibility was not great, but I managed hits nonetheless (there are some low limbs partially obscuring my current 300 yard target placement). 

So the net result was I was able to test the BDC, but only out to 300 and only with IMI M193.  So far, so good.

I like the reticle.  I used it at about 5x when at 25 getting a basic sight in, then set it to 10x for everything following that.  The view was fairly clear - not as bright as some of my higher dollar scopes (Steiner P4Xi), or larger objective scopes (Nikon Monarch 5 ED 2-10x42), but decent.  I could not do a one for one comparison today, so some slight haziness in the hot September sun may be contributing to my perception of the overall image brightness and clarity.  (My targets are in the shade, most of the range in the sun, so it’s a decent quick test for optical clarity and contrast.)

Aside from the dozen or so clicks to get centered, I didn’t really test the knobs. The clicks were crisp and seemed to do what was intended.  

In between all of the shooting I also had to check on my bees and do a few other tasks, so when doing so I carried the rifle around - mainly by the scope in the “lunch box handle” mode.  It worked well, particularly when carrying it with my left hand (the windage knob is not in the way of my index finger as it is with right handed carry).  A nice, under seven pound AR sure is a joy to carry around.

The rifle has a very light barrel as previously noted, so I don’t expect this to be a super accurate rifle - especially for lots of rapid shots. But for carrying around when I’m working on the farm and not really out shooting, it’s close to ideal.  The IMI M193 ammo is not tack driving ammo - perhaps 2-3 MOA or so.  The combination is fine for slapping the gong at 300, and hopefully so out to 400.  I will also try 500 yards, but that may require going to 77gr SMK loaded ammo. 

So much more testing and shooting is still needed, but so far I’m a happy camper and expect to be toting around the combination on the farm quite a bit in the coming months.

-AS

Keep your powder dry,
Atlas Shrug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2019 at 06:38
Good info, AS! I hope you continue enjoying your new 2.5-10x32 UL for many years to come!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2019 at 12:19
I have been spending some quality time with the two UL 2.5-10x32 scopes I have and messing with the turrets a little more.  They really track and the scope is less that 10 ounces!!!!

I would really like to see a version with the Mil-Quad, exposed elevation turret, 0.1mrad clicks and illuminated center dot.  The market will be flooded with used 2.5-10x32 NXS scopes.

ILya
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2019 at 11:53
What is eye relief?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2019 at 18:06
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2019 at 17:53

Edited by Atlas Shrug - October/14/2019 at 20:27
Keep your powder dry,
Atlas Shrug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2019 at 18:07
Originally posted by Atlas Shrug Atlas Shrug wrote:

If you are trying to pay a picture, I do not think it is working.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2019 at 20:12
I was trying to post a picture via an iPad. Clearly it did not work. I’ll try to do it from a computer at a later time. 

-AS

OK, progress - now there is a photo there.

Edited by Atlas Shrug - October/14/2019 at 20:28
Keep your powder dry,
Atlas Shrug
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2019 at 11:27
Is it the same glass as the ss classic line?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2019 at 13:14
  Ilya,

Mil-Quad version, coming soon.

Atlas,

What rings did you use?

Greg,

We did not use the same glass that we use in the Classic SS line (different formula & different coatings).
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2019 at 13:52
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Ilya,

Atlas,

What rings did you use?

Greg,

We did not use the same glass that we use in the Classic SS line (different formula & different coatings).

Excellent.  Do you know if Kenton has plans to offer custom elevation turrets for the ultralight?  I think you will make a killing with this thing.

ILya
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2019 at 14:02

Ilya,

Atlas,

What rings did you use?

Greg,

Excellent.  Do you know if Kenton has plans to offer custom elevation turrets for the ultralight?  I think you will make a killing with this thing.

ILya

So is it an improvement?
Similar, or higher gradethan classic, i suspect not the hd though. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2019 at 17:41
Originally posted by GiantGreg GiantGreg wrote:

Ilya,

Atlas,

What rings did you use?

Greg,

ILya

So is it an improvement?

It is in the same general category as the 3-15x42 SS, although the design is obviously very different.  Given that it is a 4x erector system and slim eyepiece, this scope does not have any design commonalities with other SS scopes.

ILya
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2019 at 18:46

Originally posted by GiantGreg GiantGreg wrote:

Ilya,

Atlas,

What rings did you use?

Greg,

ILya

So is it an improvement?

It is in the same general category as the 3-15x42 SS, although the design is obviously very different.  Given that it is a 4x erector system and slim eyepiece, this scope does not have any design commonalities with other SS scopes.

ILya
I am unafamilar with the 3-15ss.  How does it ultra light compare glasswis with similar priced optics.  closest  i have in that pr ice range is the vx freedom,  ss classic 10x,  ss classic 1-4, meopta meopro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic