OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > SWFA > Bulletin Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEW SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight BDC Rifle Scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEW SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight BDC Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 19:16
Originally posted by Atlas Shrug Atlas Shrug wrote:

Thanks ILya, I think I'm sold on the concept.  The picture helps quite a bit.

-Atlas Shrug

To comfortably use as a carry handle, you would need the rings slightly higher than what I have pictured, but with that stock and my face, the height worked really well.

The BDC scope I have will go into higher rings, but it will be on a rifle with a thicker stock.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 19:17
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Nice tripod...

Varavon Short Baby with SSP-1 from Precision Rifle Solutions
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 19:38
Thank you... I really like it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 19:46
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Thank you... I really like it.

I have two of these and they work exceedingly well.  Very sturdy support.  One lives in the trunk of my car.

ILya
Atlas Shrug View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 20:08
ILya,

Do you have any specific ring recommendations for this use?  I have some Leupold MK 4 1" steel rings on another scope that are fairly high and might work, but I'm starting to look at others too.

The Aero Precision mount shown in the original post here may also work, but it looks like it may be a little high for my preference.  Also, I may want something more robust given the intended usage.

Thanks,
Atlas Shrug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 23:43
Sometimes, we just need a new mount...

Bobro Precision Engineering Dual Ring Dual Lever mount...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2019 at 08:36
Well, the Mk 4 rings I have are not high enough.  The ones shown here look like they might be TPS HRT rings - are they?  If so, what height?  

I’m considering the TPS TSR rings. Sighting wise, the High should be good, but I may need the extra high for adequate clearance to grab the scope as a handle, especially if wearing light gloves.  These rings in aluminum seem like a good direction for this project.

Pondering the plan....

Atlas Shrug
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2019 at 14:18
Shocked
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2019 at 14:27

Well, the Mk 4 rings I have are not high enough.  The ones shown here look like they might be TPS HRT rings - are they?  If so, what height?  

I’m considering the TPS TSR rings. Sighting wise, the High should be good, but I may need the extra high for adequate clearance to grab the scope as a handle, especially if wearing light gloves.  These rings in aluminum seem like a good direction for this project.

Pondering the plan....

Atlas Shrug

The rings I used in the picture are indeed TPS HRT High rings, item number TPS40522.

To use the scope as a carry handle, extra high rings would work better:

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2019 at 17:59
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

To use the scope as a carry handle, extra high rings would work better:

ILya
Yep, those are the ones I already put on my list. Now all I need is a Labor Day Sale later this week...... -Atlas Shrug

Edited by Chris Farris II - September/11/2019 at 15:50
Keep your powder dry,
Atlas Shrug
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2019 at 15:43

Yep, those are the ones I already put on my list.

Now all I need is a Labor Day Sale later this week......

-Atlas Shrug
So with the Labor Day sale, I now have one of the BDC scopes soon to be on its way to me....

Smile

Edited by Chris Farris II - September/11/2019 at 15:49
Keep your powder dry,
Atlas Shrug
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2019 at 15:46
Well I messed up the quote formatting once again....

"So with the Labor Day sale, I now have one of the BDC scopes soon to be on its way to me...."

Sigh,
Atlas Shrug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2019 at 18:55
Let me know how you like it.  I've been shooting with mine for a little bit now and I like it.

ILya
Litehiker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litehiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2019 at 15:16
Light as this ne Ultralight is i still prefer the features of my SWFA 3 - 15 x 42 SS rifle scope. 

I need a mil graduated reticle for use with my rangefinder binoculars that give me a mil hold readout for my particular rifle and cartridge.

Will this new Ultralight soon have the nice SWFA mil reticle?

Eric B.
There are no comfortable packs - some are merely less uncomfortable than others.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2019 at 18:24
Well, the scope I purchased during the Labor Day sale arrived, and I think I'm going to like it. 

I've not had the chance to take it to the range yet, but after mounting it on the upper I intend to use it on I have a very good feeling about it. 

It's so balanced and well proportioned on a svelt AR-15.  I have it on a 16" lightweight upper (Voodoo Innovations Ultralight barrel - basically a slightly slimmed down pencil profile, plus MI Gen3 Light Weight handguard). The complete scoped rifle only weighs right at seven pounds (all standard components, nothing of special lightweight intent other than the thin VDI barrel and the SWFA scope).

To mount the SWFA scope to the upper receiver, I used the Burris XTR Signature rings because:

a. they were in stock (unlike the TPS rings I originally planned to try)
b. I thought the height might be enough (1.25" to scope center in this case)
c. the Pos-Align aspects of these rings might be good for this application
d. they have six screws/ring, and a correspondingly larger contact area with the scope

The last two characteristics above may help minimize any tolerance concerns when mounting the scope on an AR with two rings instead of a single base/mount, and then using the scope as a carry handle.

So far, the handling and balance seem excellent.  Although light, the scope seems very well put together, has very bright glass, and what I expect will be a very useful reticle (at least for my purposes). 

It seems that the "scope as a carry handle" method may work nicely.  I do not have small hands, but my hands and fingers are somewhat thin and I have no problem carrying the rifle by the scope. The 0.75" distance from the top of the rail to the bottom of the scope tube provided by the Burris rings gives adequate clearance.  I think less (like 0.675" as some have) would be a problem, and 1" would be more than necessary.  Thus for me the 0.75"-0.875" range is likely perfect, unless wearing winter gloves.

These rings also place the sight line of the scope down about 0.25" from where most single piece mounts put it (1.5" versus my 1.25").  I always prefer the sight line a little lower than most others seem to, and I can even handle it down to just over 1" (I have a background in smallbore rifle and thus I always had a very low, very firm cheek position/cheek pressure preference). The net 1.25" height here works quite well for me.

I'll see how the setup works on live fire at the range and in the field and report back.  Given prior SWFA scope experiences and the earlier reviews of this scope, I have high expectations.

DWilly View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2019 at 22:41
i just got one of these but in the 50 yd parallax version for my 22LR. it is a very nice scope, quite comfortable to look through, very clear. the local squirrels put a notice on Bookface that it was not a good thing...
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 09:16
Bought a second one last week for another 17 HMR. Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2019 at 17:59
Here's a review from my buddy Joe (who goes by the handle "Pirate Joe" here on OT) for this scope:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2019 at 08:44
I always get a kick out of Joe's YouTube videos.  Informative yet irreverent.

"Smooth as a stripper's armpits."  Gotta love it!

-Atlas Shrug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2019 at 11:00
Yeah Joe really has a way with words. He's a master story-teller, a poet with a penchant for weaving a tapestry of beautiful words that bring tears to the eyes of anyone with a functioning soul.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic