OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > SWFA > Bulletin Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEW SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight BDC Rifle Scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEW SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight BDC Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight BDC Rifle Scope
    Posted: August/09/2019 at 09:54
Introducing the newest addition to the SWFA SS Ultralight line, the 2.5-10x32 BDC. The SS Ultralight line boasts the same unmatched durability and dependability you have come to expect from the
SS line of products. Low-profile, ¼ MOA, capped turrets offer 15 MOA of adjustment per revolution and a total adjustment range of 70 MOA for both elevation and windage. Backed by the unbeatable
SS 4-LIFE Transferable Warranty, the SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight Riflescope is breaking the mold and proving that sometimes less is more. 

The BDC reticle features 4 main hold points for most .223 / 5.56 ammo, the primary crosshair for 50 and 200 yards followed by the 300, 400, & 500 yard holdovers. The hashmark just above the
main crosshair gives you a 100 yard hold and there are hashmarks between the main holds for 250, 350, & 450 yards also. The top of the bottom thick post on the main crosshair is conveniently
positioned for a 550 yard hold and the reticle provides quick aiming points for 5 and 10 mph winds out to 500 yards as well. 

The SS Ultralight MSR-556 BDC reticle is calibrated for a 16” barrel using the ballistic data generated from a 55 grain (gr) bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3,100 feet per second (fps).  The fps data of 3,100 was achieved by averaging the fps of all available 55 gr ammunition (excluding sub-sonic).

While the MSR-556 BDC reticle was designed and calibrated for 55 gr 5.56 at 3,100 fps it works well with many other bullet weights and similar calibers.  The charts below demonstrates the ability to use  62 gr 5.56 and still hold dead-on out to 550 yards with only a 0.6 MOA difference in POI, or you can simply sight your M855 62 gr 5.56 in at 225 yards instead of 200 yards and make it align significantly better at distance. In this scenario the M855 will be sighted in 0.5 MOA (~1 inch) high at 200 yards.

The result of calibrating the reticle using this exact data is the ability to use almost any .223/5.56 ammunition you can buy and accurately shoot from 50 yards to 550 yards with no adjustments.

As you can see in the chart below, the difference in 5 mph & 10 mph wind holds between the 55 gr and 62 gr is almost non existent. 

The chart below is in MOA. 

The SWFA SS BDC 2.5-10x32's sleek, 1" main tube and 32mm objective paired with a simple yet extremely useful BDC reticle give it a streamlined profile with a one-two punch that is perfect for your next AR build.

Edited by Chris Farris II - August/18/2020 at 13:59
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2019 at 12:15
I have had a chance to play with the prototype scope that had this BDC reticle and I will properly test a production scope over the next few weeks (I should have it in my hands in a couple of days or so).

Here are my earlier impressions:

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2019 at 12:29
Damn, I bought the plex too soon!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2019 at 12:41
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Damn, I bought the plex too soon!

I see no reason to not have both.  Don't forget that they also have a rimfire version now with plex reticle and 50 yard parallax.

I really like this little scope, so I plan to have all three.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2019 at 13:02
Damn, that’s sweet!!! I did the same and bought the standard model with plex for my .17 HMR. It was the only one they had in stock at the time, dont get me wrong, it’s no slouch, I really like.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
MWDG3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWDG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2019 at 02:39
Now you need one with the mil-quad for AR10.  ;)
DWilly View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2019 at 22:10
what distance is the parallax set at?
DWilly View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2019 at 22:14
just found it on the dimensions...100 yds. sorry
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2019 at 22:37
The BDC scopes has 250 yard parallax distance
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2019 at 08:04
It has 150 yard parallax, the 100 yards listed in the specs was a typo and has been fixed. 
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2019 at 16:46
I received the scope and started playing with it.  There are a couple of small reticle difference (they use 3, 4 and 5 instead of 300, 400 and 500) which I like.

I'll spend some time shooting with it, but for now it is on a tripod and I am trying to tell if the 150 yards parallax is making the difference that I hoped it would make.  So far, I think it does.  Using the BDC holds looks to be easier.

ILya
frozentundra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frozentundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2019 at 11:30
Any chance of listing the BCD and wind hold subtensions in MOA?  I currently have this scope on a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39.    

I'm thinking that the BDC may line up acceptably for Golden Tiger with a 160 yard zeroing scheme as follows:  200, 225, 250, 300, 325, 350 with some rounding/fudging to simplify.  This is based off the comments section on ILya's website where he listed 1, 2.1, 3.5, 5, 6.7, 8.5 as probable MOA subtensions for the drops.

I was using .310(G1)BC (as estimated by Rob Ski from AK operators union) for the unusual Boat Tail FMJ used in the 124 grain Golden Tiger @ 2350 fps.   1.8" scope height.  

According to Strelok, there shouldn't really be over 2.5" of vertical error at any given distance using these numbers.  From 0-250 it should be withing 1.65" or so.  

This would also yield a maximum point blank range of 180 yards where the projectile would be within 1.65" of point of aim (hitting 1.65" high from 90-100 yards would be mostly offset by using the 100 yard hold-under point).  At 190 yards the bullet would drop 2" bellow point of aim, and at 200 it would be getting toward 2.9"(1.3 MOA) where the first BDC hash would mostly correct.  

If I haven't messed anything up too badly, some permutation of this zeroing scheme could probably be used for various 16"-18" rifle/7.62x39-300 blackout load combinations with this scope.  

Somebody please let me know if I screwed up.   

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2019 at 11:57
The subtensions on my website are correct, to the best of my knowledge.  That did not change in the latest version of the reticle.

I think your math is generally correct.  I originally ran some simulations on how this reticle would work with other calibers and I think you calculations are very close to what I came with for 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout.

Naturally, you will want to confirm this on paper.  In practical terms, if you are getting correct hits at 300, the rest of the curve will mostly fall in. 

ILya
BlackSox16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSox16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2019 at 20:37
Just a couple comments here.  This looks like an awesome little compact scope...scopes of this size and magnification are my absolute favorite.  I have plenty of mountain type rifles in my mind where these would work great.  Hopefully it survives.  Seems like in the last 10 yrs or so, alot of scope makers come out with great little compacts but they always get discontinued.
frozentundra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frozentundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2019 at 20:23
I was able to shoot at 250 and 300 with the Ruger American 7.62x39.  My elevation was good enough that it would have mostly kept me on an 8 inch steel plate using the holdovers as described above, however I was getting odd fliers that were printing a little higher (probably the ammo, chamber heat soak, or more likely the loose wingnut behind the trigger).  I wish I had a chronograph.  

I was at a challenging wilderness venue, and the wind was swirling and gusting around the terrain features, so that was sub-optimal.  After getting an idea about wind, I was able to hold some 2 and 2.5 MOA groups at 250 and 300.  Certainly nothing to write home about, but it would have been really easy to get center hits on a silhouette target out to 350 using the BDC for holdovers with this zeroing scheme.  I'm going to bring some 8" and 10" steel out to this venue next time.  

It's nice being able to actually see the targets while shooting 7.62x39 for a change!! Big Grin 

I need to put one of these scopes on an AR.    

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2019 at 21:15
    When planning to use BCD hold overs, I like to sight in at the longer sight point, say the 500 yard hash mark. The BCD matching error at the closer distances are minimal compared to the error at 500 if sighted in on the 100 yard zero.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Atlas Shrug View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 18:44
ILya,

Did you ever set this scope up with just high(ish) rings on an AR, like you mentioned in an earlier review?  I like the idea as it would essentially recreate the original M16 Carry Handle, which was darned handy.

From the photos above and from your thread on OpticsThoughts, it looks like a combination of the eye relief and the scope's geometry might just allow such on a flat top AR.  It would also allow me to get the scope lower than pretty much any standard mount, which appeals to me as well (I like to get low on an AR).

This scope with BDC intrigues me in general, this particular possibility particularly so.

-Atlas Shrug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 18:47
Yes, I did.  Worked great.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 18:50
Nice tripod...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Atlas Shrug View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas Shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 18:59
Thanks ILya, I think I'm sold on the concept.  The picture helps quite a bit.

-Atlas Shrug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic