OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica vs. Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 12:11

Do you know that Meopta is making a lot of lenses for Svarowski???

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 13:40
Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

How many in the US do know that Copper outside of the Statue of Liberty is coming from Karmøy-Norway

The easier question is; "how many care?" 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 13:42

Ha, LOL lucznik!

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 13:49
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

How many in the US do know that Copper outside of the Statue of Liberty is coming from Karmøy-Norway

The easier question is; "how many care?" 

Maybe more than others care about Meopta lenses in Svarowski binos.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 13:50

Zeiss did not make more 8x60 like this, because it is too expensive to do it.

There is no such thing as a product that is "too expensive" to make.  It may be too expensive to mass-market but, that's a totally different issue. If this vintage binocular actually offered a superior image to modern binocular offerings, it would still be made - regardless of cost. What's more, someone would still buy it, also regardless of cost.

Right now a company called Questar is making a spotting scope called the "Birder " that makes the image from any Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. scope pale by comparison.  Of course, it's rather large, somewhat unweildy, and costs over $4000 (which in turn means you don't see them very often) but, they still make them for those who truly do want the best and are willing to pay for it.

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 14:10

Right now a company called Questar is making a spotting scope called the "Birder " that makes the image from any Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. scope pale by comparison.  Of course, it's rather large, somewhat unweildy, and costs over $4000 (which in turn means you don't see them very often) but, they still make them for those who truly do want the best and are willing to pay for it.

Only 1700 were made in ww2. and I think that it would be a very,very high cost to do a new run.I have heard that the price would be a lot of more than 15000$ for making a new run  like the old one.

Take a look at the Zeiss OEM2 .more than 60 000$ for one unit and no one will be made later .

How is "Birder "vs Zeiss 25x100 

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=1382& ;m=46

Just wondering why use 4000$ at a monocular when we have 2 eyes to use and get deept in the view with 2 eyes.Only Pirates do have one eye .

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Zeiss-big.html

A little bit offtopic,but do others also mod Maglites

Edited by zeissoem2
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 15:03

zeissoem2: take that green thing, whatever it is, and survey the sparrows and other grassland birds on the plains in Wyoming. Here is how it's done:

1. Use GIS to select 30 plots at random, each of about 10-20 hectares and at more  than 500m distance from the next closest plot.

2. Within each plot use GIS to select 3 points at random.

3. In each of these random points, each morning between sunrise and 10 am, perform a "point count": you spend five minutes in each point and identify/count all birds that fly or sing regardless of distance. You record species, number, and distance to birds.

4. You may use a vehicle to travel between plots, but you may only travel on foot from point to point within the plots.  

The surveys start March 15. They end August 1st. The study area is 18 miles away from your sleeping quarters, on bumpy and muddy ranch roads. Sunrise is at 5am. You need to leave home at 3.30 am.  In those 3 or four hours of surveys, you end up running from point to point (mind the snakes when you do) because you need to do at least 60 points per week if you are to take one day off every week. 60 points x 1000 meters of walking is about 60 km walked per week, and that is just before 10 am.

However, you can count birds only when wind blows at less than 13 mph. So, you often get in the field, start working, but the wind picks up. You stop after having hiked 1 mile. That is the plains for you, one day it's 40 C, the nest it could be freezing. The wind is so cold and dry at 4 am that your hands can't feel anything anymore and your lips feel like cracked mud no matter what cream you use.   

After 10 am, every day, you need to search 3 hectares for sparrow nests. This is done with a hockey stick for looking into grass clumps and sage brush, and by walking every foot of the 3 hectares (you may use orange markers). 

In the afternoon, after you walk your daily 30 km or so, you are allowed to collapse, but not before you enter your data into spreadsheets.

Do you think you'll last two weeks with that green thing around your neck?

By the way, the vegetation is such that everything stings, pokes, or grabs you, and you often stumble in the dark while trying to find your first point of the morning. The best boots survive two months, at best.

You also need to carry: GPS, compass, log, meter stick, meter tape, laser rangefinder, water.

Edited by anweis
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 15:04

Only 1700 were made in ww2.

Assuming this is true, it is probably due to the Germans being a bit busy reaping the wrath of the world in payment for  their "master-race" plans more than a strict "cost of manufacture" issue.

I think that it would be a very,very high cost to do a new run.

And you base this assumption on what?

I have heard that the price would be a lot of more than 15000$ for making a new run like the old one.

From where did you hear this?  Likely the same old "vintage binocular collector" you mentioned in a previous post.  Not exactly a reliable source for information on modern manufacturing costs.

Take a look at the Zeiss OEM2 .more than 60 000$ for one unit and no one will be made later .

The website you posted lists a $6,000 price tag, not $60,000.  (There's a bit of a difference in those two numbers - something on the magnitude of 10X)

Just wondering why use 4000$ at a monocular when we have 2 eyes to use and get deept in the view with 2 eyes.Only Pirates do have one eye .

Like I already said; come hunt in my backyard (that would be the Rocky Mountains in western Wyoming) for just 1 day.  If you have survived the first hour after we get started, I gaurantee you'll be begging me to let you borrow some of my equipment and will happily drop your monstrously large green crap to rot whereever it lays.(Not to mention that crazy large flashlight.  Don't you know that cops stopped carrying those in the 80's?)

Aaargh mateys.  Me thinks we're bein dragged down by a great green anchor!

Edited by lucznik
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 15:20

The website you posted lists a $6,000 price tag, not $60,000.  (There's a bit of a difference in those two numbers - something on the magnitude of 10X)

Nope -138 000 Deutche mark .More than 60 000$

The 6000$ is for a zeiss 25x100 from ww2.Zeiss OEM2 is a very different and bigger one( the green one)

You find also info here

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath= 7&products_id=383

Big Flashlight???POLICE HAVE NEVER SEEN THESE MAGLITES BEFORE.YOU DONT EVEN GET THEM FROM MAGLITE.IT IS MODYFIED:

It is a 1D Maglite w 3,5" head and

less than 21cm w normal head and 4-500Lumen output

You will also find some here in different style

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155762

more about great stuff here

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144515

and here

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143918

Edited by zeissoem2
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 15:31
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

You also need to carry: GPS, compass, log, meter stick, meter tape, laser rangefinder, water.

OEM2 do take range from 400m to 15000m.

It have compass.coordination-calculator,The OEM2 is more GREAT than you knew about.

but this is going off-topic .The discussion was about individual focus vs senterfocus and quality old binos vs new.

BTW -when carry the OEM2 -I use this little fellow

Edited by zeissoem2
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 18:53

How romantic. You go hunting in the mountains, you have a horse to carry your 50 kg range finder. When you see that moose, you tell the six bullocks to stop pulling the howitzer, you load a shell, aim, and direct a very precise barrage.

Let me guess, you carry the rest of your gear in a 1953 vintage canvas rucksack and stomp the meadows in a pair of 8 pound (each) leather boots with nice white socks neatly folded on the shims.

Geez. I wonder who wants to be an Alpenjaeger when he grows up?

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 23:33
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

How romantic. You go hunting in the mountains, you have a horse to carry your 50 kg range finder. When you see that moose, you tell the six bullocks to stop pulling the howitzer, you load a shell, aim, and direct a very precise barrage.

Let me guess, you carry the rest of your gear in a 1953 vintage canvas rucksack and stomp the meadows in a pair of 8 pound (each) leather boots with nice white socks neatly folded on the shims.

Geez. I wonder who wants to be an Alpenjaeger when he grows up?

wow-Problem here is that some people is so afraid that there exist old GREAT optis that they do everything to fight against it.

The OEM2 have never been 50kg.It is 27,5kg
Tripod is 9,1 kg
wow this is fun.
Please come on with more excuses for not to buy vintage optics.
Most people do not know that the best lenses and prism is made in the ww1 period.
Zeiss,Leica / Lei(TZ)ca(MERA),swarowsski etc do not do the same good job with lens,prism etc.Costs would be too high.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 23:54
I'm tellin ya... It's got to be something in the water.
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 03:19
We call it American Bluff

You have to Came back when you found out about how Great optics should be.

I do know how Great optics there is in this OEM2 .I have open it and study the works that have been done.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 12:11

I'll tell you what zeissoem2; I'll make you an offer.  Since we cannot resolve the issue of which is better by simply posting opinions on an internet thread I propose the following test:

You come to my house.  (Fly into Salt Lake City, Utah and I'll arrange to get you to Wyoming.) I will provide you with room and board. We will then together trek the exact same course that I took during last years elk hunt. For this event I will only require 3 things from you:

1. You must bring your green oem2 monstrosity, your 25x100 "binocular," and your huge a$$ flashlight with you and must carry it all throughout the hike. You will also carry any survival gear, food, water, etc. that you believe you might need for an anticipated, very minor 2-day, 1-night stay in the mountains. I will ensure that we don't walk any faster, farther, higher, or longer than I did while hunting and I will carry my full complement of hunting gear to keep things fair.

2. You must sign (and have appropriately notarized - which I can help you accomplish) a legal document releasing me from any liability for the injuries and death you are likely to sustain.

3. You must, in advance of our hike,  make (and have appropriately paid for) the necessary arrangements for the proper disposition of your body and personal effects. (Except for your body, I will not bring any of your stuff down off the mountain so you will either have to arrange for someone to get it for you or else just accept that such a "fine peice of optical equipment" will be left to rot wherever it gets dropped.)

I will GAURANTEE you that if, in the first hour of our hike, you have not keeled over dead, you will be BEGGING me to allow you to return to the vehicle and leave all your crap there.

Any of the rest of you are also invited to attend this event, which is sure to prove entertaining beyond measure. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 13:19
Count me in!  Any excuse to go elk hunting!  As an added bonus, it should be very entertaining to watch someone try to drag that green tripod contraption through the high country!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 13:19

lucznik,

I'm not trying to sound like a smart butt or anything but would you be willling to trade a week of guiding me around and i'll guid you around for a week on a Georgia hunt.

The Ga hunt might not be as physically challaging but some nice white tails.But the swamps can be challaging at time.

P M   me  if your interested.

Big

Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 18:27

Maybe zeissoem is of Viking Barbarian decent and is one of the strongest men in the world!!! Only a true Viking warrior could stand up to lucznik's challenge.

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 23:33
Wow-it seems to having a "Take off" this thread.
Sorry guys -you cant get me angry or something like that with your trashing anyway.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 09:02
zeissoem2,

What is your opinion of the discontinued Zeiss 15x60mm B/GA porro prism binocular? Do you think it is worth the money? What history do you have for this binocular?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic