OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica vs. Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairpin151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica vs. Zeiss
    Posted: September/27/2006 at 21:13
Thinking about either the Leica 12x50 Ultravids or the Zeiss 10x56's or possibly bigger.What are the pro's and con's of either,I'm needing some advise.Thanks.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2006 at 00:34
The pro of both is the tremendous optical and mechanical quality.

The cons of both are overinflated pricetags.

The argument between Ultravids and FLs comes down to personal preference.

ILya
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2006 at 08:57

It depends on what you will be using them for.  Neither would I suggest for all around use.  What situation will you be using them for.  Long range glassing with tripod?

Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2006 at 19:00
I would give a very slight edge in low light viewing to the Zeiss Victory 10X56 FL's because of the exit pupil edge of the 10 power zeiss versus the 12 power of the Leica. The other slight edge i would give the Zeiss in low light viewing is because the Zeiss has the Abbe-Koenig prisms which let more usable light through to your eyes. As far as middle of the day viewing goes you will be hard pressed to pick out an advantage.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2006 at 06:29
...and both are too large for handholding. 
Hairpin151 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairpin151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2006 at 08:03
I have a pair of Zeiss Classics 10x40's that I've been packing around for years that I cannot do without,I am looking for more I guess when stationary but not a spotting scope.As far as considering Leica too,I guess that I'm intrigued by the ultravids.It appears that you get more for less with them,as far as weight goes anyway.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2006 at 09:38

Optics Myth:

"Twilight factor" is key to performance in dim light.

The quality of the coatings is much more important. A Zeiss 10x56 would have a twilight factor of 23.66, a Leica 12x50 would have a twilight factor of 24.49. From my own experience, I would get the Ultravids for low light, because their coatings work very well to enhance the contrast of dark shades and colors in dim light.

But I would not get a giant binocular like that. I have an Ultravid 10x42 and it is all you can ever need for hunting. I never felt that they should have been brighter – I used them to count sandpipers under full moon, they should work for hunting.

You sometimes see "twilight factor" listed in a binocular description, as a measure of the resolving power in dim light. This term was more important years ago, before modern optical coatings were invented, than it is today.

Twilight factor is a mathematical formula that shows how both the size of the objective lens and the magnifying power contribute to a binocular's ability to show detail in dim light.

The twilight factor is the square root of the product of the diameter of the objective lens and the magnifying power of the binocular. [For example, an 8x32 binocular would have a twilight factor of 16, and a 10x42 would have a twilight factor of 20.5.]

However, in a modern binocular, performance in dim light depends more on the quality of the optical coatings than on the twilight factor formula. Good coatings can double the amount of light that gets through the binocular.

If you pick up an old binocular from the 40s, or a cheap, low-quality binocular, you'll see very poor performance in dim light. Then look through a modern, top-quality binocular with the same magnification and lens size, and see how much brighter and clearer the image is, despite the fact that both binoculars have the same twilight factor rating.

So if you're looking for good image quality in twilight conditions, you shouldn't just rely on the twilight factor number. You have to take the quality of the coatings into account.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2006 at 10:02
anweis' Truer words were never spoken. And the other BS term, relative brightness.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2006 at 11:56
Take a look at; http://zbirding/Truth/prisms/prisms.htm
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2006 at 14:48
Ah, that's where Stephen Ingraham went.  He is the guy who used to maintain betterviewdesired.com

I knew he went to work for Zeiss, but did not know about this website.  I tend to agree with his judgements, but he better be able to back up some of the claims he makes about competing binoculars.

ILya
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2006 at 00:47

I would say that twilight factor always have been an uninteresting nonsence number.

Not only that is not is taking coatings and construction under consideration but also as it's just pure humbug.

Regardless if you look through a Zeiss 3-12x56 or a Leupold 6,5-20 in twilight you will find out that you can se the best around 8-10X and not on the highest setting regardsless that they have a higher twilight factor.

When comparing a Zeiss 7x50 binocular to a Zeiss 15x50 Binocular the same thing is also very clear, the 7x50 binocular is much brighter.

So if not the frontlens is big enogh it doent matter how big the twiligth factor is, you will not see anything through it anyway.

When it comes to glasses from the 40th I have to dissagree.

It all comes down to quality and not only coatings.

This binocular is brighter at night than mostly modern glasses, and it have never had any coating as it was a export product to the Swedish army in 1940 and the Germans wouldent let them coated optics.

However the optical quality is very good.

Regards Håkan

jednoralski View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jednoralski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2006 at 14:23

Zeiss 10x56 will be better for unsurpassed low light performance, more heavy,  in my opinion by magnification 10 it is still possible to look thru without tripod

Leica 12x50 very good binocular not so heavy, like zeiss  but for longer observations tripod will be necessary

Many hunters in States use smaller binoculars with objectives like 40 or 42 mm but they are not useful in low light conditions.

Since some weeks I use Nikon Monarch 10x56 and friend of my Nikon Monarch 10x42, by good light there is the same picture, but in the dark only x56 is useful

jednoralski
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 08:14
Originally posted by jednoralski jednoralski wrote:

Many hunters in States use smaller binoculars with objectives like 40 or 42 mm but they are not useful in low light conditions.

Nikon Monarch 10x56 and friend of my Nikon Monarch 10x42, by good light there is the same picture, but in the dark only x56 is useful

I would not call the Monarch a premium binocular, or a great one, or even a good one.

Yes, many hunters use 42 mm binoculars because they work. You obsiously have never looked through a premium binocular.

With a pair of premium 8x32 i will see more than with a 10x56 Monarch anytime.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 11:01
Originally posted by jednoralski jednoralski wrote:

Nikon Monarch 10x56 and friend of my Nikon Monarch 10x42, by good light there is the same picture, but in the dark only x56 is useful

Hunters in the states find the 40 mm class of binocular acceptable because in general, hunting hours are limited to something like 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset (or something similar.) Within these limitations a 40mm glass will provide all the low-light viewing power ever needed. You are certainly correct however, that the 50+mm class of glass will provide greater low-light capacity.

Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

I would not call the Monarch a premium binocular, or a great one, or even a good one...

With a pair of premium 8x32 i will see more than with a 10x56 Monarch anytime.

I agree that the Monarch is not a premium binocular but, would have to disagree with the notion that it isn't even a good one.  I know quite a few people who own and absolutely love them. They may not be "all that" for those of us who spend too much time obsessing over optics, but we do tend to be an unreasonably picky bunch.

I would sure love to actually test the notion of a premium 32mm binocular against a monarch in 56mm. I'm not sure I would bet on the smaller glass winning as I don't think the quality difference would be sufficiently large but, it would be a fun experiment. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 11:51
I am not sure how this test would work out.  The results would depend rather heavily on the age of the tester, i.e. on how big the tester's exit pupil dilates.

ILya
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 15:19

True, but if done with a variety of testers of different ages, vision prescriptions, etc. and (if possible) coupled with some objective laboratory testing to determine the actual % of ambient light being transmitted by each optic, some fairly instructive information could be gleaned.

jednoralski View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jednoralski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2006 at 17:01

Hunters in Central Europe do hunting 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset, we also do hunting in the night - for predators and wild boars - especially  by moon. That’s why we use very often scopes and binoculars with 56 + mm objectives (quite often Swarovski, Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena). No one serious hunter will hunt in the night with 32 mm objective and it doesn’t mater what kind of mark it is.  In low light conditions we simply need more light and that’s possible with big objectives only. Of course coating and other technical solutions are very important but if we have the same solutions, and magnifications  bigger objective  is heavy but better.

I use Monarch because is 5 times cheaper than Swarovski, and other differences are not as big.

I also would sure love to actually test the notion of a premium 32mm binocular against a monarch in 56mm,  if possible use the same magnification please.

jednoralski
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 18:51
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

I would say that twilight factor always have been an uninteresting nonsence number.

Not only that is not is taking coatings and construction under consideration but also as it's just pure humbug.

Regardless if you look through a Zeiss 3-12x56 or a Leupold 6,5-20 in twilight you will find out that you can se the best around 8-10X and not on the highest setting regardsless that they have a higher twilight factor.

When comparing a Zeiss 7x50 binocular to a Zeiss 15x50 Binocular the same thing is also very clear, the 7x50 binocular is much brighter.

So if not the frontlens is big enogh it doent matter how big the twiligth factor is, you will not see anything through it anyway.

When it comes to glasses from the 40th I have to dissagree.

It all comes down to quality and not only coatings.

This binocular is brighter at night than mostly modern glasses, and it have never had any coating as it was a export product to the Swedish army in 1940 and the Germans wouldent let them coated optics.

However the optical quality is very good.

Regards Håkan

Nice to this "best ever made" again.-blc8x60

Edited by zeissoem2
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 19:29

Yes, of course: the "best ever made."

Having tired of making such obviously superior optics in the early to mid 1940's and wanting to enjoy a more closely run optics-marketing race, Zeiss subsequently chose to discontinue this model in favor of manufacturing low-brow crap like the Classic, and the Victory FL.

There must be something in the water in Norway and Sweden....

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 23:27
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Yes, of course: the "best ever made."

Having tired of making such obviously superior optics in the early to mid 1940's and wanting to enjoy a more closely run optics-marketing race, Zeiss subsequently chose to discontinue this model in favor of manufacturing low-brow crap like the Classic, and the Victory FL.

There must be something in the water in Norway and Sweden....

Zeiss did not make more 8x60 like this, because it is too expensive to do it.

Edited by zeissoem2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic