OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Brand new scope won't zero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrunkenWalrus41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new scope won't zero
    Posted: May/26/2019 at 14:13
I'm having a problem and I hope someone on here can help me figure it out.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Primary Arms 3x Compact Prism scope to use on my AR. Yesterday, I went to the range to zero it and had absolutely no luck. The scope has an etched glass ACSS reticle with battery powered illumination. 

Let me start by saying that I've been in the military for almost 7 years as an infantryman and have zeroed my fair share of CCOs, ACOGs, and iron sights, so, I'm familiar with the process. I personally bought this scope because I wanted to have something with good reviews, some magnification, and because the price was right. 

Anyway, since joining the military, I've zeroed every sight/scope the same way they taught me: 3 rounds at center mass, check the shots, make adjustments, repeat until shot groups are tight. This wasn't a problem when I zeroed my friend's scope and another friend's sight yesterday, just with my scope. 

Now, when I made my "adjustments", nothing happened. The shot groupings were good, but, they were all in the same spot; my friend even commented that I "don't like the left side of the paper. I managed to hit my targets by aiming up and to the right of where I wanted to hit, but, I'd much rather just aim at the spot I want to hit. 

Has anyone had this issue with their scopes? If so, did you fix it? And what did you do to fix it?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 14:39
My suggestion is have a few beers while you are boxing it up... get an RMA from their CS,send it back... have a few more beers while waiting on a replacement... repeat as necessary.

I've heard some conflicting reviews on the Primary Arms scopes, but mostly good.  I've looked through one traded in to a local dealer on a rifle and scope package...it appeared OK, everything was "tight"... decent glass.  I've thought a couple of times of getting a PA scope just to play around with, but have just never done it. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 14:43
How was the scope mounted? Did you use a torque wrench set to the proper torque settings?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 14:58
Sometimes over-tightening rings can bind the adjustments, making dope changes not happen.
I'd make sure you torque to PA's specs.

Also, try locking the gun down and making an adjustment while watching the target: does the reticle move as adjustments are made.

Damn, these are all out of order, start over:
1. Did you mount to PA's tarque specs?
2. Try smacking the scope with a magazine or something not heavy enough to damage but heavy enough to move a slightly binding reticle mechanism. Reshoot for group placement.
3. Try immobilizing the rifle and making adjustments to see if the reticle is moving.
4. Try to not eat any crayons while making all adjustments.
5. Thank you for your service.

Lastly, be aware that there are fellow grunts posting here, so telling us how well you zero won't work so well, since grunts are - for the most part - area weapons.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SageRatSafaris View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SageRatSafaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2019 at 13:30
Originally posted by DrunkenWalrus41 DrunkenWalrus41 wrote:

Now, when I made my "adjustments", nothing happened. The shot groupings were good, but, they were all in the same spot

Just to rule out the obvious, you must remove the caps from the windage and elevation to expose the adjustments.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic